RE 2021 miles

TrentonMakes

...that thread is really the only single repository of all my miles for the year (those recorded on Strava, and those not).  Is that data available/accessible, and/or will it be shared on the forum scoreboard-style?  I'd love to be able to see how much people were able to ride.

Either way I know I was at least able to reverse a 4- or 5-year trend of my yearly mileage falling short of the previous year's. In fact I believe I more than doubled my measly 2020 output.

Not sure the question. The 2021 thread is available but locked, so people will not accidentally enter in this year's mileage in there. Or, are you asking if Strava data can be reported here? There is a Strava SW club, and I my bike club reports the club's Strava data on the club's website, but I have no idea how to do that.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/SquareWheelsCycling

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Perhaps more an Excel list with each person's contribution to the 50,000 miles???  Sort of how the sausage (total number) was made (individual line items)?

pretty much this - I did ride some number of miles that for one reason or another were not tracked by Strava, and adding up my contributions to that thread will be my only way to know my total 2021 count.  I imagine there was some spreadsheet totaling up the miles; but not sure if they were separated for each member, or just added to a grand total. 

It's not a big deal, but if the data's there I'd love to peruse it, and see how many miles some of you found time to ride.

...when I first "rediscovered" riding in 2015 or so, I kept a detailed Excel log of mileage, elevation gain, avg speed, and I even described the routes.  That only lasted a couple years.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

pretty much this - I did ride some number of miles that for one reason or another were not tracked by Strava, and adding up my contributions to that thread will be my only way to know my total 2021 count.  I imagine there was some spreadsheet totaling up the miles; but not sure if they were separated for each member, or just added to a grand total. 

It's not a big deal, but if the data's there I'd love to peruse it, and see how many miles some of you found time to ride.

...when I first "rediscovered" riding in 2015 or so, I kept a detailed Excel log of mileage, elevation gain, avg speed, and I even described the routes.  That only lasted a couple years.

Ah gotcha.  There is no spreadsheet of data. When someone entered a ride in the thread, e.g. 20 miles. We just added the 20 to the total on page 1. Nothing fancy.  Some years ago I created a nice Excel bike log, but now just use Strava. Even for manual trainer miles.

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Ah gotcha.  There is no spreadsheet of data. When someone entered a ride in the thread, e.g. 20 miles. We just added the 20 to the total on page 1. Nothing fancy.  Some years ago I created a nice Excel bike log, but now just use Strava. Even for manual trainer miles.

Maybe folks will post their 2021 miles (and some history too) in my cycling trends thread?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

For 2023 we'll make it a little more sophisticated.  We'll create a database for storing all records moving forward, and we'll be able to see it by person, year, or any other way we want to query it.

@JerrySTL or @goldendesign (but NOT @Dottles!!!) could whip that up in minutes!

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

You could go through all 42 pages and find all of your mileage reports and then total them up.  It would take a little while, but it might be worth it if you really want to get your 2021 miles that you reported here.

As far as everyone else, why not just start a thread asking for everyone's totals for the year?   I'm sure everyone would be glad to share.  :)

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

JEEBUS!!! How long are your commute rides?!?!?!

50 miles a week + anything I do for fun is extra.  I have had problems with the devices and remembering to post.  I really need a new watch, but I am cheap.   I literally have not really tracked much in the last two years.  I am riding, just not crunching the numbers so hard.  I am still in good shape and love riding, but I am less into the ego number crunching. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

@TrentonMakes As square mentioned, we'll try to get something more sophisticated next year.

I'm not asking anyone to go to any extra effort.  I think I got the impression that this was going to be a database for each person but I apparently incorrectly inferred that. Not a problem - if I know I have to keep track of all the miles, that's what I'll do.

And I wish I wasn't hung up on numbers, but I am and it's hopeless.  As an engineer, my devotion to data is unflinching.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'm not asking anyone to go to any extra effort.  I think I got the impression that this was going to be a database for each person but I apparently incorrectly inferred that. Not a problem - if I know I have to keep track of all the miles, that's what I'll do.

And I wish I wasn't hung up on numbers, but I am and it's hopeless.  As an engineer, my devotion to data is unflinching.  

Not a problem. As aforementioned, it was discussed to having something more for data.

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We'll create a database for storing all records moving forward, and we'll be able to see it by person, year, or any other way we want to query it

We might be able to keep the same format of a post. As long as there is a uniform posting format, ie [username]-[activity type] - [miles]

I could script a bot to scrape the information daily, add it to a table I'm Google sheets, use Google data studio for embedded visuals into our site or similar tech stack. I have a few web servers that could take a few tables worth of data and be accessible through Tableau community too.

• Awesome 2

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'm not asking anyone to go to any extra effort

For me its really not a huge ask. I have several physical servers in the house, I'm probably at 30% capacity right now. Setting up a data scrape, ingest, format and visually track the data is like @Razors Edge said, an afternoons activity. 

I'll ping @Square Wheels tomorrow to talk about backend access to the site and run a few test scripts tomorrow to see 100% feasibility. 

• Heart 1

So many people post their dislike for strava. But why not create an account on strava, Garmin connect,  mammy rides, so many now. 

So easy and you'd know your exact mileage without having to go through the records here.

Strava is great for a mileage log, doesn't have to be a competition.  Go private if you like then only you can see your rides and totals.

It surprises me how many people are against logging sites.

1 minute ago, Mr Beanz said:

I use 2 sites. Strava and Garmin Connect.  

Garmin gives some pretty cool charts. 😎 

Like this.

Strava is my main site, but I've used Garmin Connect too, and the Garmin site  has some great data that Strava does not..or not w/o paying. Garmin will also upload to Strava.

• Heart 1