Jump to content

Are You Learning Or Forgetting At A Faster Pace?


Razors Edge
 Share

Recommended Posts

It seems, when you're young, the learning out paces the forgetting.  How about now?  I definitely feel like much of the stuff I used to know has been filed deeply away in the "won't ever be needed" section of my brain and slowly off-loaded while I sleep.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It seems, when you're young, the learning out paces the forgetting.  How about now?  I definitely feel like much of the stuff I used to know has been filed deeply away in the "won't ever be needed" section of my brain and slowly off-loaded while I sleep.

It just gets buried deeper in the files but it is still there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It’s all still there. I just can’t bring it up when I need it. An hour or a day later it pops into my head. :facepalm:

My subconscious does a LOT of work digging for that sort of info.  Names - people, bands, movies, etc. - especially.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still learning plenty. Looking at ways to create videos. Home repairs,  auto repair, editing programs with video and pics,, other things keep me on the learning side I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm definitely forgetting more than I learn.

Recently, I was trying to think of some 600-college level chemistry/physics thermodynamics stuff I thought I'd never forget related to the fact that "Coldness" isn't a property of matter, it's just the absence of "Heat." I couldn't remember some terminology and the difference between Heat and Enthalpy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It’s all still there. I just can’t bring it up when I need it. An hour or a day later it pops into my head. :facepalm:

I’m younger than you so still minutes for what used to be seconds usually, although yes, sometimes it is hours, days, weeks, months even. Heavens to murgatroid!  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm definitely forgetting more than I learn.

Recently, I was trying to think of some 600-college level chemistry/physics thermodynamics stuff I thought I'd never forget related to the fact that "Coldness" isn't a property of matter, it's just the absence of "Heat." I couldn't remember some terminology and the difference between Heat and Enthalpy.

That was always my beef with most college learning. Very little can be remembered, at least by me. And I don’t think I am THAT unusual (stop that!). There has to be a better way. For all that colleges ballyhoo “we teach people to think!” I see very little evidence of that. Get off my lawn!  :D

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That was always my beef with most college learning. Very little can be remembered, at least by me. And I don’t think I am THAT unusual (stop that!). There has to be a better way. For all that colleges ballyhoo “we teach people to think!” I see very little evidence of that. Get off my lawn!  :D

 

College was a great opportunity to kill brain cells.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot...That's my story and I am sticking to it.

If I set the expectation that I have great memory, then forget something...it can be held against me. So set the expectation low.

It is like when somebody ask how I am doing, my typical reply is "terrible." Usually when I get that inquiry is a salesperson who could care less and uses it as a rapport development line. They start floundering when I say "terrible" as it takes them off their sales script.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...