Are You Learning Or Forgetting At A Faster Pace?

Razors Edge

It seems, when you're young, the learning out paces the forgetting.  How about now?  I definitely feel like much of the stuff I used to know has been filed deeply away in the "won't ever be needed" section of my brain and slowly off-loaded while I sleep.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It seems, when you're young, the learning out paces the forgetting.  How about now?  I definitely feel like much of the stuff I used to know has been filed deeply away in the "won't ever be needed" section of my brain and slowly off-loaded while I sleep.

It just gets buried deeper in the files but it is still there.  

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It’s all still there. I just can’t bring it up when I need it. An hour or a day later it pops into my head. :facepalm:

My subconscious does a LOT of work digging for that sort of info.  Names - people, bands, movies, etc. - especially.

• Heart 1

I'm still learning plenty. Looking at ways to create videos. Home repairs,  auto repair, editing programs with video and pics,, other things keep me on the learning side I think. 

I'm definitely forgetting more than I learn.

Recently, I was trying to think of some 600-college level chemistry/physics thermodynamics stuff I thought I'd never forget related to the fact that "Coldness" isn't a property of matter, it's just the absence of "Heat." I couldn't remember some terminology and the difference between Heat and Enthalpy.

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It’s all still there. I just can’t bring it up when I need it. An hour or a day later it pops into my head. :facepalm:

I’m younger than you so still minutes for what used to be seconds usually, although yes, sometimes it is hours, days, weeks, months even. Heavens to murgatroid!  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm definitely forgetting more than I learn.

Recently, I was trying to think of some 600-college level chemistry/physics thermodynamics stuff I thought I'd never forget related to the fact that "Coldness" isn't a property of matter, it's just the absence of "Heat." I couldn't remember some terminology and the difference between Heat and Enthalpy.

That was always my beef with most college learning. Very little can be remembered, at least by me. And I don’t think I am THAT unusual (stop that!). There has to be a better way. For all that colleges ballyhoo “we teach people to think!” I see very little evidence of that. Get off my lawn!  :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That was always my beef with most college learning. Very little can be remembered, at least by me. And I don’t think I am THAT unusual (stop that!). There has to be a better way. For all that colleges ballyhoo “we teach people to think!” I see very little evidence of that. Get off my lawn!  :D

College was a great opportunity to kill brain cells.

• Haha 1

I forgot...That's my story and I am sticking to it.

If I set the expectation that I have great memory, then forget something...it can be held against me. So set the expectation low.

It is like when somebody ask how I am doing, my typical reply is "terrible." Usually when I get that inquiry is a salesperson who could care less and uses it as a rapport development line. They start floundering when I say "terrible" as it takes them off their sales script.