Cycling Mileage Trends? How Are Yours?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

...and any other activity trends (running, hiking, etc)?  

For me, cycling mileage the past five years are:

2021: 4,701

2020: 5,004

2019: 3,740 (not including commuter miles)

2018: 3,430 (not including commuter miles)

2017: 2,931 (not including commuter miles)

How about you, @TrentonMakes?  @bikeman564™?

• Awesome 1

...I find this whole "keeping track of your annual bicycling mileage" completely incomprehensible. 

As a long time retrogrouch, I simply have other matters that are more pressing, and the presence of an odometer/speedometer very distracting.

Some days I ride and some days I don't. Some days I just go for a walk.  I have no trouble finding my boots, because I'm not distracted keeping track of my mileage. :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I find this whole "keeping track of your annual bicycling mileage" completely incomprehensible. 

As a long time retrogrouch, I simply have other matters that are more pressing, and the presence of an odometer/speedometer very distracting.

Some days I ride and some days I don't. Some days I just go for a walk.  I have no trouble finding my boots, because I'm not distracted keeping track of my mileage. :whistle:

Too distracted by shiny things that a Garmin/Wahoo would destroy your Zen?  That's ADHD, I think. :scratchhead:  I have my boots, just not the ones appropriate for the conditions right now.  These Sorels are for like 12"+ snow, so the more casual pair would be better.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Too distracted by shiny things that a Garmin/Wahoo would destroy your Zen?  That's ADHD, I think. :scratchhead:  I have my boots, just not the ones appropriate for the conditions right now.  These Sorels are for like 12"+ snow, so the more casual pair would be better.

...I have several pairs of boots, appropriate for different conditions. And I can easily find every damn pair of them. So which of us is "too distracted by shiny things" ?  And which of us just wants to go out there and ride around on his bike, like god intended when he first gave us bicycles ?  I will never apologize for simplicity in concept and practice, sir. Cast your aspersions in some other direction. I have god on my side.:)

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

And I can easily find every damn pair of them

They're in my bedroom closet with all the other pairs of shoes that aren't in rotation.  They need to be brought back into the rotation.  The other boots were already at the ready as they didn't come to CA with us, so didn't get moved from their at-the-ready stations!  So not really lost but rather out of place.  The three other boots all work fine, but I particularly like that pair when it gets to this time of year, and they should be downstairs and not sitting on the sidelines.

Likewise, just load something like the Strava or Garmin app on your phone/watch and then don't look at it while riding.  All the benefits, none of the distraction!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Likewise, just load something like the Strava or Garmin app on your phone/watch and then don't look at it while riding.  All the benefits, none of the distraction!

...I guess the idea of someone wandering around, in the world of 2021, without a smart phone tracking his movement, is so foreign to you, that I might as well not exist.  Which is fine.:ph34r:

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

If you don’t track your miles how do you know when to bleed your hydraulic brakes??? 😁

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I guess the idea of someone wandering around, in the world of 2021, without a smart phone tracking his movement, is so foreign to you, that I might as well not exist.  Which is fine.:ph34r:

Truth be told, you're one fun dude to have around, and we love having you posting again :D

It doesn't make you correct, :D but it is still great stuff!

...as it turns out I was mistaken about the trends... I thought 2020 was my bad year, but 2018 was worse.  

2021: about 720 (I'll go through the thread when I can)

2020:  about 300

2019:  about 350

2018:  190!  ugh

2017:  676

2016:  1,071

2015:  1,216 (my all time high)

2014:  516

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Truth be told, you're one fun dude to have around, and we love having you posting again :D

True that. @Page Turner also please feel free to post your lust worthy vintage steeds anytime you wish.  You have a welcome audience here! 

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

True that. @Page Turner also please feel free to post your lust worthy vintage steeds anytime you wish.  You have a welcome audience here! 

DSCF6575.JPG

...I can hear you wondering, "How in the world does he track his mileage on that ?"  There is an answer, but it involves a slide rule and trig functions. :)

Yes that sddle nose is way too high, which I discovered quickly without riding very many miles at all. I was distracted by something shiny. :(

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

9 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

DSCF6575.JPG

...I can hear you wondering, "How in the world does he track his mileage on that ?"  There is an answer, but it involves a slide rule and trig functions. :)

Yes that sddle nose is way too high, which I discovered quickly without riding very many miles at all. I was distracted by something shiny. :(

Ohhhh nice!!!

Lest you forget I started riding on a bike very similar to that in 1981.  I have a Garmin and if I bothered to look would know my mileage but don’t track it.

I currently ride a mix of old & new school.  Steel frame set up with modern components including hydro disc! 

• Heart 1

25 years. Too many to list. 

1990's about 2,000 per year.

2000's...increase to 4k high of 7k in 05, some 5 and 6k.

2010's....4k mostly 

2017 Era, dropped down to 2k with all the serious problems with Gina's sons and kidney problems.  One died. Then my father. 10 family members in one year,  cousins etc. Bad years for cycling. 

2020 4k, 2021 5k. Hoping to keep it up again. 

In 2005, 23 centuries.  After that, a century was no longer a big deal so I really have no motivation to do more.  I have about 35 total centuries all together.