How many total miles did you rack up in 2021?

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by az_cyclist,

I didn’t get the miles I hoped for but we did some really sweet rides, 40+ miles across Badlands NP, the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Pard, and a 36 mile loop in Teddy Roosevelt NP. I also did the ride from here to my parents, 156 miles across the Adirondacks.

• Awesome 4

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I say that because I know a guy who rode ≈12k last year, and the majority of that was on Zwift.

You know, in some ways, riding indoors is a bigger accomplishment than riding outdoors.  Such as, riding outdoors is fun and interesting while indoors is dull and dreary.  Outdoors is exhilarating to the soul while indoors makes you feel old and pathetic.  Many days, I have to convince myself that I NEED to get on the indoor bike, even though it kinda sucks, sort of.  But my health problems just don't permit me to ride outdoors when the weather is less than warm and dry.  So I ride indoors during the cold months, so that I can go outdoors in the spring and be able to ride at a decent pace without having a heart attack.  But I'm not complaining.  It could be worse.  At least my problems don't keep me from riding altogether..  :)    

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You know, in some ways, riding indoors is a bigger accomplishment than riding outdoors.  Such as, riding outdoors is fun and interesting while indoors is dull and dreary.  Outdoors is exhilarating to the soul while indoors makes you feel old and pathetic.  Many days, I have to convince myself that I NEED to get on the indoor bike, even though it kinda sucks, sort of.  But my health problems just don't permit me to ride outdoors when the weather is less than warm and dry.  So I ride indoors during the cold months, so that I can go outdoors in the spring and be able to ride at a decent pace without having a heart attack.  But I'm not complaining.  It could be worse.  At least my problems don't keep me from riding altogether..  :)    

I'm not knocking it. But one thing I find funny is the realism. I've never used zwift, but I do ride a trainer. When I ride 12 miles inside, I ride it in the same time or slower than I would outside. I think I have the resistance correct.  But the dude I'm talking about can ride 50 miles in 2 hours on zwift. No way can he ride a 25mph pace in real life. I'm detailed when it comes to that kind of stuff. If I couldn't duplicate my outdoor effort inside, I wouldn't do it. 

• Heart 3

39 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yep - work vs play.  Finding your joy or doing your job!

My goal for fitness is to never work a day in my life :D

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm not knocking it. But one thing I find funny is the realism. I've never used zwift, but I do ride a trainer. When I ride 12 miles inside, I ride it in the same time or slower than I would outside. I think I have the resistance correct.  But the dude I'm talking about can ride 50 miles in 2 hours on zwift. No way can he ride a 25mph pace in real life. I'm detailed when it comes to that kind of stuff. If I couldn't duplicate my outdoor effort inside, I wouldn't do it. 

I've posted this before,  a lady from the love forum.  Said I wasn't a real rider because I wore a tank top.  Of course my pic was doing a century with 10,000 ft of climbing. 

Her rides on bike journal dot com were in her living room. By a fireplace reading a book averaging 21 mph. But her outdoor rides of 10 miles were at 12 mph.😄

• Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I've posted this before,  a lady from the love forum.  Said I wasn't a real rider because I wore a tank top.  Of course my pic was doing a century with 10,000 ft of climbing. 

Her rides on bike journal dot com were in her living room. By a fireplace reading a book averaging 21 mph. But her outdoor rides of 10 miles were at 12 mph.😄

And there ya go. I remember bike journal

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 7:46 PM, Gump said:

I didn’t get the miles I hoped for but we did some really sweet rides, 40+ miles across Badlands NP, the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Pard, and a 36 mile loop in Teddy Roosevelt NP. I also did the ride from here to my parents, 156 miles across the Adirondacks.

How did I miss your ride at Custer State Park? That has crossed my mind as has riding from Hot Springs to Custer through Wind Cave park. I’ll be honest-the bison have me a little freaked out! Most of the time, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. I have seen a couple unprovoked charges by bulls in a bad mood. I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end!

12 hours ago, groupw said:

How did I miss your ride at Custer State Park? That has crossed my mind as has riding from Hot Springs to Custer through Wind Cave park. I’ll be honest-the bison have me a little freaked out! Most of the time, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. I have seen a couple unprovoked charges by bulls in a bad mood. I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end!

We were told if we came across bison on or near the road to wait and use a car as a pick to get by them. In TRNP we parked the car to start a ride and there were bison nearby. By the time I unloaded bikes and we were ready to go they were 30 feet away and walking down the road we needed to take. After waiting 20 minutes we decided to liad up and find a new spot to ride from.

C056B0DD-83A4-4F45-933F-75F3EC925A28.jpeg

• Awesome 1

Since I’m home with access to my tablet & Garmin I synced them and got my 2021 totals.

Just. 1,284 for the year which is about what I figured.  Interesting in that some months I was getting 200+ mile months. Aug, Oct & Nov well under 100 miles.  Those were months I was dealing with a concussion & illnesses.

When I’m not on my ass sick I’m riding pretty consistently.   

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

When I’m not on my ass sick I’m riding pretty consistently.   

I can look back on a year and point to vacations or snowstorms or, for 2021, cross-country drives.  Otherwise, I'm consistent, but I definitely have a arc through the year - related to temps mainly, but also daylight.  My time in CA negated both those issues since the temps were pleasant even in Feb, and with an East Coast work schedule, I was able to ride at 2pm instead of 5pm I would have been limited to in VA.

• Heart 1