For the guitar players

Longjohn

My son has played his all over the world. He has had some repairs done to it but the last time he had it in for repair they suggested he retire it. He bought a cheap Mexican Martin because he wasn’t expecting to be playing professionally anymore. Things change, so he bought himself another good one in December. I wanted to buy it for him but couldn’t afford to spend that much times three. Can’t show favoritism to my kids.

• Heart 1

I've toured their factory, very cool.  There's a playing room at the end with random guitars.

Last time I bought an acoustic, it was either a Martin or Gibson.  Love the Martin sound and playability, but the Gibson was a a little more versatile, and sounded better in my existing amp.  Martins tend toward a heavier sound.  Really could have used both.

I had a chance in High School.  A friend's Grandad was a luthier for Martin.  He brought home the rejects and reconditioned them.  Had quite a collection when he passed.  I was offered a 12 string for $200, but just didn't have the cash, and wasn't playing much guitar at the time.

• Awesome 1

at 7:15 in the video, he's playing "No Surprises" by Radiohead.  sounds nice.  It sounds familiar but I can't place the second sample (at 21:25).

Really interesting, how the company has had its highs and lows but managed to weather the really bad times, especially the Depression.  thanks again.

• Heart 1

I've tried Martin guitars at the stores. Sound great but just as good. Yamaha sounded just as good for far less money. 

I had a couple different salesmen point it out. One was a persinal friend who manages the Sam Ash guitar dept. 

Of course I'm not worthy of such an expensive guitar. 😄 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

LJ, that was your son you posted a couple weeks back? The guy and gal playing singing? 

Wow, they are  REALLY good! 

I think so but my son says I’m prejudice. I really like the fun stuff he does with his kids to. The kids are coming right along with their love of music. His one daughter when she was about four was asked what she wanted to be when she grows up said she wanted to be a rock star like her daddy. Lol she is taking trumpet lessons now and doing well. They all sing and the thirteen year old plays clarinet and piano. The twin buddies are determined to play guitar but they are only five years old.

• Heart 2