20 Degrees Out And Snow & Ice Everywhere

Razors Edge

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Will they be wearing coats?

No coats, but we keep the outing short to protect their feet. The puppies think we are never out long enough. Neighbor likened the puppies to his children that did not think they needed a coat on some of these cold days. Puppies like to stay out much longer than the older dogs, just like older folks bundle up more than young folks. Things we talk about on cold days in the country.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

No coats, but we keep the outing short to protect their feet.

We tried booties on her (salt and ice clumps on her feet are rough), but she would just stand there trying to shake them off.  Luckily, she reacts pretty quick if an ice clump builds up on her feet and lets me get rid of them before moving on.  This snow/ice is a little less "sticky" thankfully, so she was able to walk for a while with no problems.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

No coats, but we keep the outing short to protect their feet.

Our 2 dogs have short fur and almost no natural protection from the cold.  The Jack Russel is not good all in the cold, below 50 and he needs a coat.  Our Beagle is not much better in the cold.  Yesterday I took them for a walk and after a 1/4 mile the Beagle started lifting her paws, and stopped walking.  It was in the mid 20s.    Today I just took them out, for their morning bathroom break. Our Jack Russel didn't waste any time he got done fast and wanted to go back inside.   The Beagle was wandering around forever...  I had to pick up the Jack Russel and hold him (18 pounds).  He was shivering and lifting his paws.  It's 17 now, and that's the high of the day.  All it will do now is get colder.

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Our 2 dogs have short fur and almost no natural protection from the cold.  The Jack Russel is not good all in the cold, below 50 and he needs a coat.  Our Beagle is not much better in the cold.  Yesterday I took them for a walk and after a 1/4 mile the Beagle started lifting her paws, and stopped walking.  It was in the mid 20s.    Today I just took them out, for their morning bathroom break. Our Jack Russel didn't waste any time he got done fast and wanted to go back inside.   The Beagle was wandering around forever...  I had to pick up the Jack Russel and hold him (18 pounds).  He was shivering and lifting his paws.  It's 17 now, and that's the high of the day.  All it will do now is get colder.

We don't go on long walks in this type of weather, just short ones, but more frequent. Forecasting a high today of -12F. Also our drier snow packs down with all of our traffic and we do not spread salt, so they don't have to deal with a lot of ice buildup on their paws. Their coats are pretty short, slick, and shiny, but again they are not out for long periods of time, and after they take care of business, they are running, playing, and rolling in the snow..

P1050496web.jpg

• Heart 2

We were told on Sunday we'd get an "insignificant amount of snow, but got 6" Monday. Fortunately are getting several hours/day above freezing to melt the snow off the roads - before we get another "3 to 6 inches Thursday Evening and Night."

I just got back from a crowded supermarket that's being emptied out - people have been homebound a couple days and now many are in panic mode in case the next storm is more than expected. I waited a long time in line at the cashier's even though there were only 2 people in front of me: most carts were filled to the top.  I needed bananas and half-and-half: I ended up spending $70. I guess the panic was catching.

I went to the "Dollar General" next door to the supermarket to get glue for the loose rubber pad on the bottom of my plastic kitchen scale.  They only had Elmer's Clear Glue.  Online, Staples says, "Use Elmer's Glue to Repair Furniture and Other Objects Around the Home and Office." and Elmer's says "good for ... plastic ... wood ...," so it will do.

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Our Airedales really love the cold-- on a sunny day they will stay out until we make them come in.  Their fur has a stiff outer coat so they do not typically get wet.

My sister's Samoyed would sleep in snow for hours. But she also overheated in the summer.  She was definitely best suited for the northern US climate.  

• Heart 1