Beard or No Beard?

Razors Edge

I had a kinda wannabee beard when I met my wife. I shaved it off before we got married and didn’t grow another one until I was 37 and working in the forge shop. It protected my face from red hot scale burning my face. Whenever I smelled hair burning I knew I was saved by the beard. I have had one ever since so it’s been 34 years.

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't remember the last time I didn't have a beard, but it has only been a few years. Had one much of the 90s, off and on in the 00s & 10s, and then consistently since 2018.  

How about y'all?

Bearded? Now? Then? Always? Never?

We have to see pics to see if you are better with than without.  Plus, are we talking an amish beard, hipster beard, or more of a ZZ top situation?

I look good with a week or ten day's worth of scruff, then I just look disheveled after that.  It itches at that point, too.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

We have to see pics to see if you are better with than without.  Plus, are we talking an amish beard, hipster beard, or more of a ZZ top situation?

I look good with a week or ten day's worth of scruff, then I just look disheveled after that.  It itches at that point, too.

The more coverage of my face the better! 

I'm a "keep it short" sort of beard/mustache guy.  I think I use a #2 trimmer that I run over my face once a week to keep it all semi-trimmed up. Back in the 90s, I was way shaggier. During the non-beard days, it was still up tp two days growth, then full shave, repeat except on weekends.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

The more coverage of my face the better! 

I'm a "keep it short" sort of beard/mustache guy.  I think I use a #2 trimmer that I run over my face once a week to keep it all semi-trimmed up. Back in the 90s, I was way shaggier. During the non-beard days, it was still up tp two days growth, then full shave, repeat except on weekends.

Do you have a face for radio?

• Haha 2

I had a goatee back in 2001 or so. I didn’t care for the maintenance and felt like a fraud for using hair coloring product to hide gray hairs. So I resumed the bare faced look I was borned with. I always wondered what I looked like with a full beard and thought I’d try again when I retired. Hopefully it would come in as one shade vs salt and pepper. When I had Mohs surgery in 2020, I went for it. I keep it neat with a #4 trimmer and shave the neck every few days. It’s white and I like the look. 

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm still in this phase.  All my reddish Irish-inspired facial hair (goatee area) has turned white/gray, while my darker beard hair (same as my eyebrows and head) are still brown.

I think I’m more salt than pepper these days but there still is some pepper in there!

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Had one for a couple decades in my 20s & 30s been off & on since. Growing one right now cause for some reason shaving was really irritating my skin, and it gives me something to do when I'm bored. 

"Honey can you (do whatever)" "Can't  I'm busy growing my beard"

Thanks!  I’ll use that line on WOChrisL & see what she does! 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

My beard comes and goes. I was pretty much in full Santa Claus mode until I shaved it off this morning. Growing it back in no big deal. It only takes me about three weeks to get it looking good. At eight weeks, it's a full on bush.

Your like my SIL. Dude has a 5 o’clock shadow at noon and can grow a full beard in a week.    After a couple of weeks he’s looking like wolf man. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't remember the last time I didn't have a beard, but it has only been a few years. Had one much of the 90s, off and on in the 00s & 10s, and then consistently since 2018.  

How about y'all?

Bearded? Now? Then? Always? Never?

I've grown a beard a few times but it sometimes felt scratchy on my neck.  I guess I could have shaped it better but that was too much like work.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've grown a beard a few times but it sometimes felt scratchy on my neck.  I guess I could have shaped it better but that was too much like work.

I keep mine trimmed at the jaw line for that reason.  I shaved daily for decades & still do, just my neck now. 

When I was young I had a summer beard so I kept my face clean shaven. I took a week off when I was doing a lot of work on the house. I skipped shaving to see what it looked like. It was full, but more gray than my hair! WoW liked it about Day 3. Day 4 she didn’t like it. Go figure! I felt it made me look 10 years older so I shaved it off.