Stupid Beyond Belief

ChrisL

5 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The ICU numbers tell a clearer story. 83% admitted due to covid.

There are a lot of very sick folks that do not require ICU as well.  This is what my complaint is.  Because this virus was politicized from the start, the general public feels we don't have a scope on the spread of it nor the severity of the variants.  The death toll is a good indicator as well but accurate data is being withheld or manipulated.  At least Global and CTV reported on this, last I checked, CBC was silent. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The ICU numbers tell a clearer story. 83% admitted due to covid.

Yup.  This is happening here.

28 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, the reporting could skewed or the data could be skewed.  Were they admitted to the hospital or just show, get seen, and then go home?  The latter certainly isn’t being “hospitalized” in any sense.  

I don’t know anyone who got COVID, went to the ER and were kept there just because they tested positive.  No room in the inn, they were only hospitalized in subsequent visits when they were off the charts bad.  If it ain’t bad, you go home and wait it out until you are in a world of bad, so this is all very muddy if the claim is “almost half of hospitalized COVID cases came in for something else but were only classified as COVID ”.  I suspect that hospitals don’t list just one cause for hospitalization, hospitals may be or probably are listing all the reasons, however numerous. 

Also keep in mind stat-padding the other way in some of the red hat areas who reportedly underreported/underrepresented positive cases and hospitalizations because it fit their narratives, too.  

I don’t trust the cherry-picked data or the assertions made from it in isolation all that much, just that it probably balances out in the bigger picture.

I use the data from John Hopkins or worldodometer.  

HODH described several scenarios.  One is someone coming in for surgery, they get a test, BAM, positive.  So, they go into isolation for covid.  It is possible that they have two things going on.  Sometimes more.  Our area is very poor.  They use the ER for many things that are not ER. 

Some poeple locally have mentioned that the hospital changes all deaths to covid related, and that is a lie.  Our hopital reports actual covid numbers.  They don't make it up.

Our local hospital is working at strain status.  This is mostly due to unvax.  They post vax, un-vax and boosted as separate colors.  Currently, 76% of people in the unit are un-vax.  Zero boosted patients. That math is very telling, right? Note:  the vaccinated patients were likely the scenario I described above. Even if you feel decent, if you test positive you go in isolation.

People are so non-compliant.  Just yesterday, a patient visiting their 91 year old parent.  They had the mask on their chin.  HODH tells them to pull it up and that it is not good to possibly get their parent sick or the person n the bed next to them.  She pulled it up.  He went back for a med check, and she had the fucking mask in her hand.  People are so ridiculous.  It is a hospital in the middle of a pandemic.  FUCK!

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yup.  This is happening here.

It is interesting to ponder why, in my lifetime at least, I had never seen hospitals at capacity for longer than maybe a day.  Those days followed either a natural disaster, an act of terrorism, a horrific car/airplane crash, or a mass shooting. 

If we stripped COVID out of the picture, and just tracked the regular flu, and the raging colds, where would we be?  My guess is wide open hospitals.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is interesting to ponder why, in my lifetime at least, I had never seen hospitals at capacity for longer than maybe a day.  Those days followed either a natural disaster, an act of terrorism, a horrific car/airplane crash, or a mass shooting. 

If we stripped COVID out of the picture, and just tracked the regular flu, and the raging colds, where would we be?  My guess is wide open hospitals.

Another bad scenario.  Hospitals paying huge dollars for traveling nurses.  Some make more than the doctors.  You could quit your job, and go back to the same job as a traveler to make far more.  I want to say more, but I am going to stop right here.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

You could quit your job, and go back to the same job as a traveler to make far more. 

2x to 4x more pay. Maybe even more nowadays.  One of my wife's good friends was an ER nurse in a busy hospital (our regional trauma ER). She did that for years, but burned out (pre-COVID) and jumped on the travel nurse and also the remote nurse bandwagon. Better pay, less stress.  She is pretty happy with the change (or was pre-COVID).  I'll have to check to see how she feels nowadays.  

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

2x to 4x more pay. Maybe even more nowadays.  One of my wife's good friends was an ER nurse in a busy hospital (our regional trauma ER). She did that for years, but burned out (pre-COVID) and jumped on the travel nurse and also the remote nurse bandwagon. Better pay, less stress.  She is pretty happy with the change (or was pre-COVID).  I'll have to check to see how she feels nowadays.  

Aside from the obvious cost disparity is the fact that these nurses are NOT invested.  My husband noted that the quality can be poor from this non invested attitude.  3 months and they are gone.  

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Does it matter why they went in if they end up hospitalized for covid?  It's not like you can treat the broken arm an ignore the virus and dump them out the door.

Of those hospitalized, the province said 477 are in ICUs, which is up by 39. Around 83 per cent of those in intensive care were admitted because of COVID, while around 17 per cent were admitted for other reasons.

...not that much, apparently.

2 hours ago, Oppressed Pig said:

There are a lot of very sick folks that do not require ICU as well.  This is what my complaint is.  Because this virus was politicized from the start, the general public feels we don't have a scope on the spread of it nor the severity of the variants.  The death toll is a good indicator as well but accurate data is being withheld or manipulated.  At least Global and CTV reported on this, last I checked, CBC was silent. 

...aren't there some rich people who need to be flown somewhere to keep you busy ?

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

We should have locked the place down for a couple of months.  That would have ruffled some feathers.

Canada Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2022

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country.

Couple notes:  The reporting is number of people in hospitals who have tested positive for COVID, not number of people coming to hospitals for COVID.  So, Broken arm, positive, you are one of the number in a hospital who tested positive, the report is correct.  And can be misleading, depending on who uses it for what.  So the "see I told you so's" are also misrepresenting.

Also, just like people tried to make hay of the "they're putting COVID on death certificates if they die from pneumonia!!", sure, people come to the hospital for pneumonia - but COVID caused it.

The real indicators are the admissions, the ICU numbers, the death numbers.  Those are all drastically up, due to COVID, and almost all are unvaxxed.

Which comes back around to how many people with broken arms have COVID.  As contagious as Omicron is, as effective as vaccines are, the number of people vaxxed - there's a real good chance a TON of people have COVID and don't know it.  If those people go into crowded indoor placed unmasked, they can spread the virus.  The reason COVID numbers are expected to drop drastically soon?  No more hosts, enough of us got it and either survived or died.  A good news/bad news scenario

Conclusion - suck it up, wear a mask, get a shot, stay away from risky places.  Not for yourself, for someone's grandma.  It's really not hard.

• Awesome 1