40 yrs. ago

shootingstar

I embedded this photos into my blog post, after asking a friend for pics, who still lives that city.

Kitchener-Waterloo hosts annually Canada's biggest Oktoberfest festival.  It  had Mennonite and strong German historic roots. Several German local clubs, many core streets with German and Mennonite last names. I wish dearie did see some of these pics.  He had attended once...long before I knew him.

mascots.jpg

OKtoberfest dancers.jpg

On 1/5/2022 at 10:44 PM, shootingstar said:

Really, that street?? 

Sure. I know all those first name streets in that neighbourhood, George, John, William, Caroline, etc. 

BTW it would be a damn shame if they are allowed to knock down the Erb house, but somehow I don't think that will be allowed to happen.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Sure. I know all those first name streets in that neighbourhood, George, John, William, Caroline, etc. 

BTW it would be a damn shame if they are allowed to knock down the Erb house, but somehow I don't think that will be allowed to happen.

You mean, the Kumpf House. I must admit I know it less as the Erb house.  (I keep on thinking of the eggs, where an  Erb family ran the egg distribution biz.)

And these streets are German/Mennonite  names:  Erb, Weber, Boehmer, etc. I don't know if there is a street for Rempel, Zehr (a local grocery chain store from along ago before they were bought out by a national chain), Breithaupt.  And we know about Bauer (hockey) skates, etc. There has to be street for:  Schneider (can't forget the sausage, ham processors), Shantz,  Epp, Martin. Yes, I know the vibe,  but you know more... 

Or German names: Johann, Jacob (more Jewish I think), Mathias, Hans..... which all of this I tended to absorb more when I was with dearie and then, working for the German engineering firm.

I just got an email note from a 14 yr. niece -- clearly the post gave her more interesting (human) info. to complement what her mother/my sister  told her when she drove 100 km. from Toronto and showed her daughter and son (12 yrs.) the childhood/teen house, the public school and church where we went as children.

The public school was the oldest in the 2 twinned cities and now a condo bldg.  

Niece is at an age where now a bit more family history stories is sinking a tad more, with meaning. She is half-Chinese. 

Actually each of my other 2 sisters also showed their respective children, where we grew up, etc., where there are things to show kids that make it different from Toronto.

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Actually each of my other 2 sisters also showed their respective children, where we grew up, etc.

My mom took us past her childhood home in Denver one year. We were heading to the airport after a week of skiing.  It was a pretty neat experience, even if it only lasted a few minutes seeing it from the street.

• Heart 1