STFD

maddmaxx

Went to the LGS about 6 miles away this morning at the crack of still dark.  When I left my house it was 33 degf and there were glittery jewels on the road so I pussyfooted it down the hill and drove carefully to the highway on ramp.  Flashing lights on the ramp with a crash truck and cruiser servicing a large 4wd drive pickum up truck that was tinfoiled on the grass.  Crept past in the remaining space and entered the highway at about 50.  This is just before the peak of a large hill that is known to ice over.  Yep, 31 and ice everywhere other than in the high traffic tire marks in the right lane.  Stayed there at 50.  Half way down the hill there was a car tinfoiled against the rock cliff on the right about 20 feet off the road with a bit of trash strewn around.  Nobody there and I mistakenly assumed that it had happened earlier.  On the way home the hill was still 32 degf but there was a large traffic jam as several emergency trucks and cruisers were servicing that crashed car.

Of course there were 4 wheel drive trucks and some SUV's going by me at 80 on both the outbound trip and the return.  Jebus folks, wouldn't it be smart to slow down just a little bit on ice?  No snow, just clear ice on black pavement.

My hill was heavily treated when I returned home.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, seems like no one should have been out in those conditions!

Those are normal conditions around here Virginian.  All it takes is a bit of smart driving.   I knew the hill was going to be frozen and I don't understand why those who commute to Hartford every day don't.  It's not like we don't notice the upside down SUV's every winter when it's cold.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharrwick said:

You should move to Texas.  Just the mention of ice shuts the roads and the schools and most business down.

Oh yeah, it shuts the power down too.

Virginia was sort of like that when I lived there.  An inch of snow on the VA Beach Expressway was a disaster.  I don't see how they survived the big one the other day.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

We had just a little ice-- but that is all it takes

It should be normal for you though.  Rochester drivers are tough.  

As an aside, U of R shut down in person classes.  My son's former students that got in there are thinking about going home to China to be safe.

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Those are normal conditions around here Virginian.  All it takes is a bit of smart driving.   I knew the hill was going to be frozen and I don't understand why those who commute to Hartford every day don't.  It's not like we don't notice the upside down SUV's every winter when it's cold.

Folks just want things BACK TO NORMAL!  I get it!  Nothing to see here.  Move along :D