The fall garden

Chopped Liver

One of the benefits of living in the south is a late growing season.

Now that I have a backyard that actually gets some sun, I am taking advantage of it....although on a very small scale.

Currently have some swiss chard, collards, kale, and lettuce growing in the yard.  Should be able to start harvesting some of the collard and chard leaves next week.  

The collards may even survive the winter if it doesn't get too cold, or if I can cover them with a row cover on the really cold nights.

• Heart 2

Hell... I still have tomatoes that are producing, and carrots to pull out this weekend. 

I have tomatoes that stopped producing last night because of the frost.  WoKzoo tried sweet potatoes this year.  Time to find out how those did.  The carrots can come out - they did not grow well this year.

Our greenhouse did fair.  I need to replace a little more glass, that will get us a few extra weeks.

One big problem is the "dirt" we planted in was just that, dirt.  We need to liven it up with some more rich soil.  We'll do that when we pluck out the plant in the fall.  We'll till in some better soil and fertilize (organically of course) when we plant.

Each year will get better.

Our greenhouse did fair.  I need to replace a little more glass, that will get us a few extra weeks.

One big problem is the "dirt" we planted in was just that, dirt.  We need to liven it up with some more rich soil.  We'll do that when we pluck out the plant in the fall.  We'll till in some better soil and fertilize (organically of course) when we plant.

Each year will get better.

get yourself a composted.. you will not have to buy dirt that way.. we use stuff from newspapers, the garden and kitchen, and a few yard wastes... we get about a good 300 pounds of dirt a year to add to the garden each fall. 

get yourself a composted.. you will not have to buy dirt that way.. we use stuff from newspapers, the garden and kitchen, and a few yard wastes... we get about a good 300 pounds of dirt a year to add to the garden each fall. 

Stop peeing in the shower and dump the chamberpot in the greenhouse.  You'll get the dirt out there composted pretty quick.