For Folk Music Fans

Razors Edge

PBS is running a series called David Holt's State of Music.  It's a pretty broad swath of music from bluegrass and gospel and classic English folk song that are interesting to see performed.  They've restarted at season one on my PBS, but most/all are up on the website and likely on Passport too.

"David Holt's State of Music" features music from emerging young artists as well as veteran masters. Shot entirely on location in North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina, the series showcases the musical heritage and scenic beauty of Southern Appalachia while introducing viewers to bluegrass, roots music, blues, new acoustic, and gospel music genres.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

It is a shame that southern Appalachia is so poor since it is such beautiful country. Our economic system needs work. 

Or our priorities do? Rich in beauty or rich in $$$?  "Successful" people or "good" people?

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

PBS is running a series called David Holt's State of Music.  It's a pretty broad swath of music from bluegrass and gospel and classic English folk song that are interesting to see performed.  They've restarted at season one on my PBS, but most/all are up on the website and likely on Passport too.

"David Holt's State of Music" features music from emerging young artists as well as veteran masters. Shot entirely on location in North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina, the series showcases the musical heritage and scenic beauty of Southern Appalachia while introducing viewers to bluegrass, roots music, blues, new acoustic, and gospel music genres.

Thanks for mentioning. I didn't know about it and will look into it.  It's on MPT/PBS Passport ($60 one-time donation) in my area.

Our PBS, either Maryland or Washington D.C., gets the Song of the Mountains mostly-bluegrass music show and mostly from Appalachian locations and I watch it a least once a month when COVID, etc. isn't stopping it from recording new shows.