Folding the Wash

Razors Edge

...this morning, I am again left scratching my head :scratchhead: at why all my clothes are right side out, and all my wife's clothes are inside out.  Her shirts and socks and exercise pants are almost always either inside out or bunched up & twisted.

Apparently, we dress/undress in completely different ways. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...this morning, I am again left scratching my head :scratchhead: at why all my clothes are right side out, and all my wife's clothes are inside out.  Her shirts and socks and exercise pants are almost always either inside out or bunched up & twisted.

I am far more systematic in my undress & laundry than my wife. I tend to undress in layers where my wife will pull a sweatshirt & t shirt off at the same time & toss it in the hamper with the shirt still in the sweatshirt. 

My wife then just throws everything in the wash and other than separating whites doesn’t do any pre wash prep.  I always turn shirts & pants right side out and pull t shirts out of sweat shirts and pull out balled up socks try to keep socks in pairs.  

When I fold laundry after she has washed & dried it I find white t shirts wadded up in dark sweatshirts & will find one sock in one load, the other in a subsequent load.  

In the grand scheme of things it’s not an issue but I actually prefer to do the laundry as it gets done better.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Longjohn said:

Her plan worked. :party:

I think my wife has that plan for the dishwasher as well!  I have to rearrange it to get everything positioned well. OCD? Maybe, but it also makes emptying it easier.

For wash, I pay special attention to the dark loads as those include my bike stuff.  I like to keep most of my bike stuff except socks out of the dryer.  I hang my shorts, jerseys, and other bits to air dry.  I think it is easier on them in the long run.

But for doing a wash load, I am pretty lazy - ie while I sort darks vs lights vs colors, all get the same warm, extra rinse wash cycle. No hot. No delicates. Nothing but a normal load all the time.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I see you finally got around to reading that book. 

• Haha 1

Ha ha ha that's funny. When I undress from cycling,  I remove item by item and turn them to the right side out. If Gina removes her cycling duds, usually in a big twisted mess in a ball tossed in the hamper. Shorts, tights all in one Same with street clothes. 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Beanz said:

Ha ha ha that's funny. When I undress from cycling,  I remove item by item and turn them to the right side out. If Gina removes her cycling duds, usually in a big twisted mess in a ball tossed in the hamper. Shorts, tights all in one Same with street clothes. 😄

Another step, when undressing from a ride and knowing they won't immediately go into the washer, I hang the damp/sweaty/wet bike clothes up so they won't get other dirty clothes wet and also not mildew or whatever happens to damp clothes in a pile for a couple days.  They dry out pretty quick and get tossed into the "dirty" hamper and likely a new set of wet bike clothes take their place.  But I try to velcro the gloves, right-side out the clothes, and make sure the socks are straight.  

• Heart 1

Erma Bombeck had me in stitches reading her story about the time she was walking down the sidewalk downtown and she noticed her reflection in a storefront window. At first she smiled because she thought she looked pretty good, but then she noticed something hanging out the bottom of her pant leg. It was a pair of panty hose and underwear. She had worn the same pair of slacks the day before and when she got undressed had taken everything off together and hung the slacks over the back of the chair. When she got dressed that morning she put on clean underwear and pantyhose and put the slacks on with yesterday’s pantyhose still inside. The sidewalk was busy that morning and she didn’t want to draw attention to her problem. She tried to shake her leg and get them to fall out but finally had to step on them with her other foot and pull her leg out of them, kicking them off to the side while she kept walking.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think my wife has that plan for the dishwasher as well!  I have to rearrange it to get everything positioned well. OCD? Maybe, but it also makes emptying it easier.

For wash, I pay special attention to the dark loads as those include my bike stuff.  I like to keep most of my bike stuff except socks out of the dryer.  I hang my shorts, jerseys, and other bits to air dry.  I think it is easier on them in the long run.

But for doing a wash load, I am pretty lazy - ie while I sort darks vs lights vs colors, all get the same warm, extra rinse wash cycle. No hot. No delicates. Nothing but a normal load all the time.

Now this was decades ago but my wife once washed & dried a vintage wool cycling track jacket that was gifted to me by a Dutch bike shop.  (They knew i was racing in America so gave me a bunch of swag to represent them in races).   I put it on the washing machine waiting for the load to finish so I could wash it separately on gentile cycle & hand dry.  It got washed with towels and dried.

OMG I about cried when I saw  what happened to it… Completely shriveled, shrunk & covered in those little wool pills. She had no clue that wool items can’t be washed & dried like normal clothes…

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My husband always says the same thing when he does the laundry.  He said I get undressed "wrong."

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Another step, when undressing from a ride and knowing they won't immediately go into the washer, I hang the damp/sweaty/wet bike clothes up so they won't get other dirty clothes wet and also not mildew or whatever happens to damp clothes in a pile for a couple days.  They dry out pretty quick and get tossed into the "dirty" hamper and likely a new set of wet bike clothes take their place.  But I try to velcro the gloves, right-side out the clothes, and make sure the socks are straight.  

😄 I drape my damp clothes as well though not too often as I am not a heavy sweater.  Main thing for me are the tights. One old thin pair usually good enough but a newer thicker pair that really gets my legs sweating. Those get draped for sure. 🤣

The bike like socks I got at Wally World are very nice.  3 pair on clearance $2 vs the single pair of PI online for 15.

Digging them but the have an L and R and I can't seem to put them on the wrong foot.   Just can't do it! 🤣😂🤣