everesting seems horrible enough in normal weather conditions

bikeman564™

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I trust Strava, not Ted!  :frantics:  

I wonder if that will get corrected?  Seems annoying, but since he wasn't trying to set a record, not really a big deal.

I guess the water whacked out his Garmin so it didn’t jive.  He did a couple of extra laps to be sure he went high/far enough.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I trust Strava, not Ted!  :frantics:  

I wonder if that will get corrected?  Seems annoying, but since he wasn't trying to set a record, not really a big deal.

I have no idea about how accurate the elevation data is:dontknow: for what I do its fine, and yes he's not going for a record. Give or take a couple thousand feet who cares, that's an insane amount of climbing for 100 miles.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have no idea about how accurate the elevation data is:dontknow: for what I do its fine, and yes he's not going for a record. Give or take a couple thousand feet who cares, that's an insane amount of climbing for 100 miles.

When you see Phil try to break the record, he is consulting with professionals who have the tools to truly calculate how many laps he needs.  My Garmin uses it's own methods, and that's why riding an out and back never results in identical gained/lost numbers.  It really takes a hit when a storm rolls through, so maybe the weather was funky enough over those 9 hours to make it too variable.

For you and me?  Perfectly fine. For Ted? Also fine, just funky. For an Everlasting record attempt? Nope - need more accuracy as "proof".  

I'm sure he knows the gain for that climb and just did the math, so he surely got the numbers he needed, just not the Strava total he expected.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

ANOTHER INCONSISTENCY!!!  Strava!!!!

image.png.eeb05d8d27a92aa326c9240156dafe58.png

Not sure, I think that's pulled from the Garmin, but not sure how it's calculated. Obviously over several hours the temp can vary, so it may be an average of sorts. I know in bright sun light on a 82° day, my temp may show 95°, but on a cloudy day it's more accurate. The direct sun heats up the Garmin.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Not sure, I think that's pulled from the Garmin, but not sure how it's calculated. Obviously over several hours the temp can vary, so it may be an average of sorts. I know in bright sun light on a 82° day, my temp may show 95°, but on a cloudy day it's more accurate. The direct sun heats up the Garmin.

Yep - I always wonder about that too - especially wind speed and direction.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That is too close to freezing for me but I guess he got away with it.

Ted lives in Vermont and has posted his winter rides before. He does a lot of riding in that weather.  He doesn’t seem to resort to Zwift, he just layers up and rides in the crud. 

Not sure if you watched the video but the first 5 minutes or so he goes over the bikes he used and how they were set up for the elements. 

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Ted lives in Vermont and has posted his winter rides before. He does a lot of riding in that weather.  He doesn’t seem to resort to Zwift, he just layers up and rides in the crud. 

Not sure if you watched the video but the first 5 minutes or so he goes over the bikes he used and how they were set up for the elements. 

He didn’t mention if he had studded tires. That’s the only way I would ride on wet roads @ 32°

Just now, Longjohn said:

He didn’t mention if he had studded tires. That’s the only way I would ride on wet roads @ 32°

Yeah I’m with you but that might have made the ride too hard.  He rode gravel tires that were not studded nor had much of a tread and fairly narrow. 36 & 32 I think.   Yeah kinda dicey on potentially icy roads but he’s a former World Tour pro, he knows how to ride.