Does this pho annoy you?

Parsnip Totin Jack

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

It's the pho time of year here, too hot in the summer.

Yeah I hear ya but I have been told that hot spicy dishes are popular in warm climates as it makes you sweat which cools you.  Pho weather in Vietnam has got to be pretty warm. 

I have been laying off pho as the rice vermicelli spikes my blood glucose but man do I love me some pho.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

It's the pho time of year here, too hot in the summer.

On a Sirius note, when the posole is gone I will make a pot of bison pho. I’ve never made it before, but I have a quart of bison bone broth in the freezer and a farm nearby sells cuts of bison. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I hear ya but I have been told that hot spicy dishes are popular in warm climates as it makes you sweat which cools you.  Pho weather in Vietnam has got to be pretty warm. 

I have been laying off pho as the rice vermicelli spikes my blood glucose but man do I love me some pho.  

In Malaysia with the Chinese family I discovered that they drank warm water, not cold for that very reason.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I was thinking that a quart of very warm liquid, spice aside, on a 90 degree day, just isn't my cup of tea anymore.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It’s why I go toward quality Ramen these days. But truth is the salt in these soups are lethal.  

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It’s why I go toward quality Ramen these days. But truth is the salt in these soups are lethal.  

If you get a chance try udon. Salt aside, the buckwheat udon noodle doesn’t spike my glucose.  I like the texture & chew of the udon noodle over ramen too.

If they have nebeyaki udon get that. It’s like the kitchen sink version with various veggies & meats and is my favorite. 

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If you get a chance try udon. Salt aside, the buckwheat udon noodle doesn’t spike my glucose.  I like the texture & chew of the udon noodle over ramen too.

If they have nebeyaki udon get that. It’s like the kitchen sink version with various veggies & meats and is my favorite. 

I love ramen and pho.  Ramen is closer.  And the menu at ours is like 1/2 or 1/3 the pho places.  Those pho menus are long.  I actually never remember what I had the time before, so I have never had a "regular" pho I get.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I love ramen and pho.  Ramen is closer.  And the menu at ours is like 1/2 or 1/3 the pho places.  Those pho menus are long.  I actually never remember what I had the time before, so I have never had a "regular" pho I get.

That seems pretty consistent with pho as they do give you lots of options.  There is one place that has a noodle free option but I don’t care for their broth as much.  The place I really like doesn’t offer the noodle free option so I generally pull out 2/3 of the noodles first. 

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So how's the Asian food in Calgary?

Pho choices may be better than Chinese. I really mean this. But still less choice overall than elsewhere. As a city, we're not known for superior and diverse range of Asian restaurant cuisine...at least not right now. Once, I had dim sum..where the dim sum was  huge and several varieties were deep fried for certain recipes, while elsewhere, wouldn't be deep fried, instead steamed or boiled. I left the restaurant, bewildered. 

It's useful to know that in fact very few different types of dim sum are deep fried. There is a palate reason for that :   steaming is considered imparting a more delicate/refined taste where you can actually taste the skin and the filling properly.  There's certain nouveau twists on traditional recipes, where it's wonderful.  But using deep frying for the wrong type of recipe, as a technique...honest, to me, sometimes it's just lazy.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Pho choices may be better than Chinese. I really mean this. But still less choice overall than elsewhere. As a city, we're not known for superior and diverse range of Asian restaurant cuisine...at least not right now. Once, I had dim sum..where the dim sum was  huge and several varieties were deep fried for certain recipes, while elsewhere, wouldn't be deep fried, instead steamed or boiled. I left the restaurant, bewildered. 

It's useful to know that in fact very few different types of dim sum are deep fried. There is a palate reason for that :   steaming is considered imparting a more delicate/refined taste where you can actually taste the skin and the filling properly.  There's certain nouveau twists on traditional recipes, where it's wonderful.  But using deep frying for the wrong type of recipe, as a technique...honest, to me, sometimes it's just lazy.

I get where you are coming from but if it doesn't sell then you're going to get fried stuff.  I was once at a Mexican restaurant in Kellogg, Idaho and it got rave reviews.  It was the worst slop I've ever had.  Refined taste is not what counts.  It has everything to do with the palate you are selling to.  

Honestly, I didn't think you'd find good Asian food there.  It wasn't much of a leap.  The same way I would not expect good Seafood in Omaha, Nebraska.