Will Omicron run out of potential victims?

MickinMD

This chart just blows me away.  These are confirmed cases and, supposedly there are many more asymptomatic and mild cases than those reported, so maybe we have 3 million new cases per day.  If that's the case, that's about 1% of the U.S. Population catching Omicron COVID per day!

If that keeps up - and look at how the line is almost vertical - won't Omicron run out of people to infect?

image.png.84e7eb01920405ab88a4704c6f2d4f32.png

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

If that keeps up - and look at how the line is almost vertical - won't Omicron run out of people to infect?

That's the hope...

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There is nothing to indicate that those once infected have lasting immunity and there are indications that, indeed, it can and does reinfect.

...and that's the worry.

Yes, the chart is scary and shuddering.  Frankly, mostly no one cares.  

Over 2000 dying each day, and no one cares.

We have a gym at our work, and I went over there to look around and lots of people working out, no masks.  Not one.  The olicy states they are supposed to.  No one encorcing.

People do not care.

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

People do not care.

It depends on what they care about.  If you've gotten vaxxed and boosted, what extra do you owe the folks at the gym?  It's not a work requirement - going to the gym - so if you're pretty much protected from a negative outcome (not you specifically or folks with underlying health concerns), wouldn't being at the gym be okay?  And for the folks there who aren't vaxxed & boosted (or recently recovered), isn't that their mistake?  You can lead a horse to water... and all that?

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It depends on what they care about.  If you've gotten vaxxed and boosted, what extra do you owe the folks at the gym?  It's not a work requirement - going to the gym - so if you're pretty much protected from a negative outcome (not you specifically or folks with underlying health concerns), wouldn't being at the gym be okay?  And for the folks there who aren't vaxxed & boosted (or recently recovered), isn't that their mistake?  You can lead a horse to water... and all that?

Unvaxxed have to test weekly.  I do not know who is managing that or if it is even being followed.  I would hope that at least that guideline is being followed.  The gym rules are clearly stated and I was the only one in compliance. 

I kept y KN95 on the entire time.  

Breakthrough contraciton is a thing.  Although, our outcome is likely far better than someone that chooses to skip the vax.  Shame on my for execting common decency from others.

The common cold is caused by a SARS type coronavirus, also, and like you’re saying, we don’t develop full immunity against a cold. Some are more resistant than others. To my point, there are OTC meds, like Zicam, that lessen the duration and severity of a cold. And it comes in a nasal spray, a nasal swab, and a lozenge. The day is fast coming when we will see an anti-viral OTC, as well, as part of the long-term plan for addressing this SARS virus. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Unvaxxed have to test weekly. 

Testing is information that can result in enforcing a barrier to spread, but it’s not a barrier. This is frustrating AF because we need the barriers up front. Masking, distance, air quality, vaccinations…up front. Relying on testing to separate people who are carrying a viral load (or just a fragment of virus as can be detected by a pcr test) will always keep us a step behind the spread. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Unvaxxed have to test weekly.  I do not know who is managing that or if it is even being followed.  I would hope that at least that guideline is being followed.  The gym rules are clearly stated and I was the only one in compliance. 

I kept y KN95 on the entire time.  

Breakthrough contraciton is a thing.  Although, our outcome is likely far better than someone that chooses to skip the vax.  Shame on my for execting common decency from others.

1) there is no one being tested weekly nor documenting it to go to the gym.

2) the KN95 protects you (and potentially them) even more than just the vaxxes, so that's very helpful too.

3) what "responsibility" do you have to an unvaxxed person who is coming to the gym and not being masked?  I can't think of any responsibility other than wiping down the equipment after you use it.

4) YOU aren't doing anything wrong.  OTHERS? Many are behaving irresponsibly.  

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

1) there is no one being tested weekly nor documenting it to go to the gym.

2) the KN95 protects you (and potentially them) even more than just the vaxxes, so that's very helpful too.

3) what "responsibility" do you have to an unvaxxed person who is coming to the gym and not being masked?  I can't think of any responsibility other than wiping down the equipment after you use it.

4) YOU aren't doing anything wrong.  OTHERS? Many are behaving irresponsibly.  

The gym is a part of my workplace, so it should follow our guidelines.  People using it are "supposed" to follow our mask guidelines and vax guidelines.  Masks required indoors, unless you are actively drinking or eating.  Vaccination is required, and if you have a medical exemption, you must test weekly.  

We have a fitness instructor that came in to teach a class.  The instructor had no mask, and the entire class, no masks.

No one cares.  I will not be back to that hellhole.  Not sure what I expected.  I am too optimistic, and constantly left disappointed. 

My ears are sore from the 95 loops.  

17 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Testing is information that can result in enforcing a barrier to spread, but it’s not a barrier. This is frustrating AF because we need the barriers up front. Masking, distance, air quality, vaccinations…up front. Relying on testing to separate people who are carrying a viral load (or just a fragment of virus as can be detected by a pcr test) will always keep us a step behind the spread. 

Barrier or obstacle?  I think obstacle is a more apt word, you are right in that masks and vaccines are obstacles that help either slow the spread or lessen severity.  Do we have any real barriers, other than being a hermit?

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Why do you hate civilization.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Why do you hate civilization.

Actually, I think he does have a point.  You can do all you can, and at some juncture you have to mix with others sensibly, and hopefully they are doing all they can.   You don't really have anything further that you should feel obligated to do beyond a certain point for those who are unvaccinated, since they are not reciprocating at all. 

I think that problems can come from the folks who think that vaxxed and boosted equals the cocoon of invincibility, then go make out with a bunch of drunken sluts on New Years Eve like I did in Puerto Penasco on NYE in 1998, when I was wasted off my ass and made out with a bunch of random women on the dance floor of clubs saying "Happy New Year" and leaning in with an excess of drunken positive expectancy.  Those people are problematic during plague times such as these.

Anyway, at the gym I am going to, you must show your vaccination card or approved app at the door while wearing a mask, or at least two security guards will throw you out on your ear.  No mask, no vaccines, no entry.  The only place you can now go maskless is in the pool, but you gotta wear a mask until you put your towel down and enter the water, and you have to put it back on the moment you are done applying towel to body.  Seems as safe as you can be in omicron's heyday.