Skiing

dinneR

I tucked into this tree for the transition. Most people were transitioning lower out of the wind. 

Then the powder. 

Jackson Hole shut down the tram and lifts above 9k' because of the wind. Avalanche danger was high. The pass was closed to driving and skiing. I could hear bombing all day. 

IMG_20220106_141613104.jpg

IMG_20220106_142625019.jpg

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

When would you expect conditions to improve? 
NM mountains don’t have that kind of snow, yet. We’re expecting some next week. Maybe. The ski areas are making snow. 

It needs to be colder. This is way too warm. Temps need to stay below freezing. Town is a skating rink. Snow melted and froze overnight. It's ugly.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

That looks awesome.  I've only had a couple ski days on fresh powder.  The first time I was able to ski on powder I was amazed at how quiet it was.

When most of your skiing is done in the Poconos, most of your skiing involves a bit of ice.

This is the downside of a big powder day. Long lines.

Luckily, I was a the town hill, where there are no lines and I skinned up, so no lift needed.

Image-from-iOS-14-scaled.jpg

Image-from-iOS-13-scaled.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I once skied in a t-shirt in Courmayeur, Italy. 

I did the same once in the only slightly less glamorous Poconos... mid-March and about 70 degrees.  A month later our daughter was born... and I didn't see a ski slope for about 15 years.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, denniS said:

They do a lot of bombing here. My GF got to do it with the ski patrollers once. Sounds fun.

Do they set explosives or shoot them with recoilless rifles? I wouldn’t want to set demo charges but would like to shoot the hillsides from afar.  

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I learned to ski in the Poconos. Although it was January and on ice. :nodhead:

So low avalanche risk. Yay!  I am your opposite, I learned, such as it is, in western Ny. Out here I always skied at bear mountain, which was doe mountain back then, in Macungie, half as far as the Poconos.