Banished? Really?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...but folks love these little phrases!  #5 is a HUGE hit!

1. Wait, what?
  2. No worries
  3. At the end of the day
  4. That being said
  5. Asking for a friend
  6. Circle back
  7. Deep dive
  8. New normal
  9. You’re on mute
  10. Supply chain

Most of those are colloquialisms that can certainly disappear without notice.

"You're on mute" is a statement of fact, Much as we'd like to return to the old normal of not needing it, it's still needed.  But, hey, you do you.

"Supply Chain"  ?  That's just a thing, you can't banish it.  It is what it is.

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

1. Wait, what?
  2. No worries
  3. At the end of the day
  4. That being said
  5. Asking for a friend
  6. Circle back
  7. Deep dive
  8. New normal
  9. You’re on mute
  10. Supply chain

My Aunt Sally, who died 3 months before reaching 100 of COVID in 2020, couldn't stand anyone saying, "I don't have a clue," when it had become a common expression.

Why couldn't she stand it?  I don't have a clue!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

"No worries" is never going away.  It is just a damn good phrase, too useful and expresses a subtle calming sentiment while concluding a discussion.

A little pissant university can't cancel words like that.  If they were smart, they would've started with "latinx" or some other garbage term everyone wants gone; that would've generated some momentum.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You do you is the statement of ultimate frustration with wasting your time talking to someone. It has a lot of value, with occassional usage.

You don't see an upside opportunity here where we get rid of those occasionally good ones like you do you, and replace them with truly relevant and modern ones like kitchen window? :dontknow:  I'm just spitballing here, but I think it has traction.

• Awesome 1

• Solution
2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You don't see an upside opportunity here where we get rid of those occasionally good ones like you do you, and replace them with truly relevant and modern ones like kitchen window? :dontknow:  I'm just spitballing here, but I think it has traction.

At the end of the day, we’ll all circle back. The new normal will be the same as ever. That being said, I don’t care. The next catch phrases will be as grating as the current ones.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

1. Wait, what?
  2. No worries
  3. At the end of the day
  4. That being said
  5. Asking for a friend
  6. Circle back
  7. Deep dive
  8. New normal
  9. You’re on mute
  10. Supply chain

I don't hear #5 used hardly at all. People ask and give the reason directly...at least, where I am and have been.  Why would I ever say #5? Sound disingenious. If I want to know, I ask it and own my question.

#6, is grating for me to hear. It sounds too conscientous. Ok, you don't have to tell me that you're going to #6.  There's certain biz speak in the working world that just gets dull and boring. After awhile, I tune out. (Don't you have abit more imagination but still speak plain language, instead of canned phrases?)

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I don't hear #5 used hardly at all. People ask and give the reason directly...at least, where I am and have been.  Why would I ever say #5? Sound disingenious. If I want to know, I ask it and own my question.

#6, is grating for me to hear. It sounds too conscientous. Ok, you don't have to tell me that you're going to #6.  There's certain biz speak in the working world that just gets dull and boring. After awhile, I tune out. (Don't you have abit more imagination but still speak plain language, instead of canned phrases?)

I think #5 went over your head. 

"Is it okay to get loaded on your lunch break? Asking for a friend."

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

And in the biz world (profit and non-profit):  dashboarding, metrics (instead of statistics).  Or is metrics only used in Canada?  Metrics is to infer quantitative measurement.

We use the terms as well as ROI and several others.  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This sounds like the ad exec from 12 Angry Men. Let’s leave that on the stoop and see if the cat licks it. 

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Randomguy said:

"No worries" is never going away.  It is just a damn good phrase, too useful and expresses a subtle calming sentiment while concluding a discussion.

A little pissant university can't cancel words like that.  If they were smart, they would've started with "latinx" or some other garbage term everyone wants gone; that would've generated some momentum.

I am ok with no worries. I could not care less about the others

• Heart 1