How fat do we need to get?

Square Wheels

I've been overweight a fair portion of my life, but I can't believe all of the morbidly obese people I see every day.

At the hospital I work at we need special wheelchairs that are significantly wider, wider beds in patient rooms and operating rooms, wider seats in waiting rooms, wider doors, and below surprises me the most, toilet supports.  This is just a pic from online, not my place, but most of the bathrooms I've been in here have these now.

When do we say enough is enough and force morbidly obese people to do something, or we take away their health benefits?  Or is this America and everyone has a right to do anything they want and the rest of us just get the opportunity to pay for it?

66049_l.jpg

Is Fat the New Normal?

The New Normal

The average American is 23 pounds heavier than his or her ideal body weight. If we equate "normal" with average, it's not much of a stretch to say it's normal to be fat.

Are Americans Really Getting Fatter?

The rate of obesity has climbed dramatically in the past 20 years: A third of adults are obese today, compared to 23% in the late 1980s.

When do we say enough is enough and force morbidly obese people to do something, or we take away their health benefits?  Or is this America and everyone has a right to do anything they want and the rest of us just get the opportunity to pay for it?

Yup. I think that's it right there. SO ridiculous and pathetic. So many people believe they are entitled to be and do whatever sh*t they want no matter how selfish. That's just it... so selfish.  It's all about ME, ME, ME.  

UGH! Don't get me started.   :angry:

When do we say enough is enough and force morbidly obese people to do something

just a thought...while it sure is crazy half the time, I have to say that in a free society you have to allow people to live how they want, even if you don't agree with it. In fact especially if you don't agree with it.

What if people decided bike riding was just too dangerous?

What if people up and decided that eating red meat was a burden to society and told you that you couldn't eat red meat again?

What if people decided that sugar free diet drinks were best for you and made ti so that we could only find liquids with artificial sweeteners to drink?

There is no end to what a liberal hippy whack job may do if they have the votes in congress, so I say make them toilet supports out of American Steel, installed by American labor, and let the fatties try and break them

this is America, afterall

• Heart 1

We don't force them to do anything....but we shouldn't be making others pay for their lifestyle choices either.  This crap about we're all in this together is going to take us all over the cliff.

Are we addressing how we provide coverage to the obese correctly? What if base coverage was for a person of average weight? Any addtitional medical coverage would come out-of-pocket or from an additional insurance surcharge. Would this be incentive to lose weight?

My dad is obese. He is medically too far gone to ever get to a healthy weight at this point. I am not sure this would be enough incentive for him.

My wife on the other hand is overweight, tickling obesity. If she knew that she had to  pay more because of her weight, she would be the picture of health!

I have often wondered if similar tactics for seat belt and helmet usage would be more effective than law governing their use. If someone feels it's their right not to use them, fine. I just don't want to have to pay for the difference in expenses.

I've only seen toilets like that in public bathrooms, I suspect it's to more easily clean the floors.

ding,ding ding ding! we have a winner!

that's exactly why they do those in public places, but not in our houses

How much weight is a toilet supposed to bear?

that depends on whether or not it is attached to a supporting wall. An American Standard can hold a half ton walrus. In fact, That is the American Standard on file with Dept. of Weights and Measures. But if you get those cheap imported jobs that flush in litres, you might not be able to sit 400 pounds on it for long enough to fulfill its function

I can't believe all of the morbidly obese people I see every day.

At the hospital I work at we need special wheelchairs that are significantly wider, wider beds in patient rooms and operating rooms,

When do we say enough is enough and force morbidly obese people to do something, or we take away their health benefits? 

My wife works in a transplant center, and while there is a screening process to decide who gets a transplant or not as demand outstrips supply, there is one screening criteria that impacts morbid obese candidates for an organ transplant. It is referred to as 'the surgeon's arm test." Essentially, with all the surgeons of relatively small stature, if the can't reach over a body and down into the cavity to remove and replace organs, they won't get a potentially lifesaving organ transplant until they lose weight. Kidney will stay on dialysis where technically, they could live forever as kidney transplant is not an emergency. Heart, lung and liver - now that's a different story and the clock is ticking.

I was at a restaurant for breakfast yesterday, and I overheard the order of the two women in the booth behind me.  They each started off with large cokes (it was about 7:30 in the morning), then waffles with whipped cream for one, pancakes for the other.  Can you guess if they were heavy or not?  Oh yeah, they also talked extensively about food first, then health problems.