Daytona update

BR46

On the last lap of practice the motorcycle lost spark. I was working on the bike trying to find the problem when security kicked me out of the garage :angry:

When the garages open up at 6:30 I will be trying to solve a electrical issue. 

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 3

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What was the end result?  Were you able to cobble anything together ?

No....a guy a few garages down might have one that he will bring tomorrow if he can find it. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Update 

The part that another racer was going to bring to the track so I could get the bike running so I could race it......didn't fit. So I just made a $280 donation to the race organization by signing up for a race and not racing. 

• Sad 9

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

Update 

The part that another racer was going to bring to the track so I could get the bike running so I could race it......didn't fit. So I just made a $280 donation to the race organization by signing up for a race and not racing. 

I am sorry.  How did your son do last night?

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Update 

The thrill of victory..

..and the agony of defeat. 

Sorry BR.  It sucks when mechanical devices destroy your training and effort. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I still don't know exactly what caused the pickup to get hit by the flywheel. 

I'm going to suggest that the flywheel was doing a little bit of flying.  Maybe Wilbur can add some insight on this.

29 minutes ago, BR46 said:

.....didn't fit.

On a slightly more serious note, if it's compatible electrically is there any way you can 'Rube Goldberg' the physical mounting?  Or is that not allowed by the rules that dictate what you can put on the motor?

• Heart 2

53 minutes ago, groupw said:

Sidecar is ok though?

Yes but we are running our backup ignition. The backup ignition doesn't rev up to the high rpms that you need for this track. But it ran good enough for a 2nd place. 

43 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Einstein wants to know if it is a two piece flywheel?

No. What they call the flywheel is also the rotor for the magneto and you add and subtract weight. 

What might have happened is that crankshaft bearing behind the rotor might have gone out of spects and allowed the rotor to hit the pickup. Checking out at track it seems fine. When I get home I will pull the motor out and dig into it deeper and find out what went wrong. 

47 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

On a slightly more serious note, if it's compatible electrically is there any way you can 'Rube Goldberg' the physical mounting?  Or is that not allowed by the rules that dictate what you can put on the motor?

He wanted the part back after the race so I wasn't going to drill new holes in the mounting plate 

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

@BR46 nice, and great pics. So was it worth the price?:whistle:

Yes and no. 

It was a awesome experience to be a part of the first sidecar race to ever run the high banks of Daytona. I did not like the way the racers are treated at the track. When we race at Barber the racers are treated like Rock Stars. 

The Speedway was not prepared for sidecar recovery and not very good at motorcycle recovery. When the recovery crew picked me up I told them what garage I was in and the recovery driver looked at me and said.....no no no....we have a ramp by the gate that we unload at and you have to push it in your self. At Barber the recovery crew not only brought me back to our pit spot they got out of the truck and help me put on the bike stand. The best recovery crew is Road America hands-down second best Barber motorsports park. 

Would I race Daytona again?  That's hard to say. It was extremely expensive, it's extremely hard on equipment and motors, not being able to work on the bikes after 6pm sucks.

It was nice racing with the temperature in the mid 70s while the temperature back home was 3°

• Heart 2

Jeremy killed a motor in practice on Friday. Ran over to the swap meet bought a used motorcycle for $1,000 and swap out the motor and ended up finishing 3rd or 4th place. He said that he won't be back to Daytona after getting into a argument with security about the 6pm deadline. 

271710082_10158666322982548_3039428329277235227_n.thumb.jpg.490b642bda95462117ad301b61e770b1.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Next "special" race........................Isle of Man?

That is the craziest race ever with no room for error.

They average 2 deaths per year at the event. The TV camera men are told to turn the camera away from the crash so they don't flim someone getting killed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Why is it so dangerous?

It's a very long course which makes it difficult to memorize what sort of corner is next and it's held on public roads subject to changing weather from one side of the island to another.  It's not nice to suddenly race into snow or rain without knowing it's coming.

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It's a very long course which makes it difficult to memorize what sort of corner is next and it's held on public roads subject to changing weather from one side of the island to another.  It's not nice to suddenly race into snow or rain without knowing it's coming.

Thanks.  Now I want to google dangers of the baja.  

• Heart 1