I’m not a TERF, but one thing to consider about Amy S.

MoseySusan

Girls who “do good on tests,” retain info quickly, and provide answers quickly face a lot of criticism as they’re growing up. Especially if they’re also pretty. Few girls are encouraged to become engineers. I’ve seen it for others, heard it myself. Amy Schneider has her own lived experience, and I’m wondering to what extent it includes insecure little boys telling her to stfu, “give me the answers…no?…bitch, think you’re so smart,” telling her to make a sandwich. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Well she is transgender. Evidently she was a little boy for a while.

I think that is what Sue is referring to.  That she didn't have to grow up being subjected to certain types of negative treatment of females from males. 

Of course, she also grew up as a male and still has a "male" engineer type brain.  This is all so confusing.  :huh:

I wonder if she enjoys shopping?  :scratchhead:

J/K

:D

• Haha 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

I started to wonder last night if she could be a ringer. How can anyone know that much shit?

I think I said this before, but the game almost seems rigged at this point.  She knows everything and her opponents seem to know nothing.  When her opponents are stupider than I am, something is wrong.   

Very strange.

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Except I am saying women also have engineer brains. 

And for the time of her life when she was in school, she had a female engineer brain, but presented as male in appearance, which may have resulted in fewer sandwich requests. 

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I think I said this before, but the game almost seems rigged at this point. 

I felt that way about Matt for awhile. He would go for the bottom half of the board, rack up big dollar value. And he’d wait until time was running out to answer, and then if he was wrong, nobody else could buzz in. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Last night's game stats are mind-blowing.

1/7 Game Stats:
Amy - 37 correct, 0 incorrect
Patsy -  7 correct, 5 incorrect
Sean -   6 correct, 1 incorrect

Right? 
Ken announced this week that she gets 31 questions right, leaving the other two contestants to scramble over less than half the board. And Amy also goes for high dollar value first. 

36 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Niece did complete her 4-yr. university degree in geotechnical engineering. She worked for a geotechnical engineering consulting firm and did some site visits worldwide for a few yrs. Sure, there were waaay more men working in the sector compared within the university classes. 

She writes into some of her rom-com novels incidents of harrassment, male putdowns, some of her novels feature the heroine as: engineer, biochemist.  So I don't need to parlay any feminist guidance to her. She tweets out her own feminist views.  I think she left the profession because she wasn't thrilled about field work and for sure, the "creativity" is not the same there vs. what she does now.  She does say that ability to do mathematical forecasting...does  help her do data analysis on her sales.. would be child's  play to her.

2018.png

• Heart 1

Since I worked in the engineering sector on the library side for 15 years, I did notice some common base characteristics of the women engineers  I met within different organizations. :  very bright/sharp, assertive (different styles), very practical and less tendency to engage on the job, in details on trivial junk that consume others' attention.  

• Heart 1

It might just be my imagination, but since the previous executive producer left the show, the clues seem to have gotten noticeably more difficult.  

There are also a number of ways to slant the outcome of the game, such as tailoring the categories to complement a particular contestant, opponent selection and raising or lowering the difficulty level of the clues. 

8 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Do you think she could beat Amy at Jeopardy? :)

Actually.....she was a sr. high school contestant in Ontario region for .....Jeoporady-like trivia contest on tv!  I saw a clip ages ago. :) 

I loaned some money to her parents upon their request, when she asked her parents to attend a private school for bright sr. teens. She was tired of class sessions where her school mates were shooting spitballs into the ceiling.

I encouraged her to seriously integrate her STEM knowledge into her heroines and novels. There is in 1  novel references to technical names of some rocks. She has. 1 of the rom-coms, features an introverted professor, who fears for his precious rock collection falling onto the floor, because the heroine next door was having a good time in bed with a  guy.  Then she dumps the guy.

Her novels  clearly do show heroine exercising her sexual choices (when not married).

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

It might just be my imagination, but since the previous executive producer left the show, the clues seem to have gotten noticeably more difficult.  

There are also a number of ways to slant the outcome, such as tailoring the categories to complement a particular contestant, opponent selection and raising or lowering the difficulty level of the clues. 

mr. says the same. I think a lot of the clues are strangely worded, which may be why so many contestants can’t come up with a response.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

mr. says the same. I think a lot of the clues are strangely worded, which may be why so many contestants can’t come up with a response.

That certainly is my problem with various clues.  By the time I figure out what they are looking for, it is too late to answer.

29 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My daughter is a mechanical engineer. I had her working on cars and bicycles at 10 years old. On the other hand, if you told my son to turn a wrench clockwise, he'd look at his digital watch and be confused. He's a CPA and can afford to pay someone to fix his car.

• Awesome 2

30 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Well, I want Amy to win and win. And for smart girls to win and celebrate. 

I have another niece from a different family who is in her 2nd yr. of university engineering. It may be mechantronics....blend of robotics and mechanical engineering.  She was the competitive gymnast for about 6 yrs. as a teen.

One of my sister's high school best friends...is now Dean for faculty of geotechnical engineering at a Canadian university. When I found out, I wasn't totally surprised...not that she was  overtly nerdish brainy, when speaking with her as a teen. More of a quiet, yet socialable and bright teen at that time.

Contrast to when dearie was in university civil engineering years, in 1960's, he could only recall 1-2 women in his engineering courses...out of 200+students. He thought it was a terrible waste of talent not to encourage more women in engineering.  He did report to a female engineering manager at some point in his career when working for national oil company.

• Heart 1

want to add:  my parents had no influence on who we chose as female best friends.  Coincidentally lot of those long-term friends for each sibling, also completed university, etc. It's probably more shared personal interests, common styles of chat and future passions. 

We went through the public school system: proof that such schools in some cities/counties are good.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My daughter is a mechanical engineer. I had her working on cars and bicycles at 10 years old. On the other hand, if you told my son to turn a wrench clockwise, he'd look at his digital watch and be confused. He's a CPA and can afford to pay someone to fix his car.

Which sector does she work in or for an engineering firm? Is she the one who was so stubborn in her arguments with parents?

To get into Canadian engineering university programs, the faculties of engineering make it very hard. Very high school academic sr. marks upon application  (over 90% out of 100 perfect score), and lst year can be brutal ..on student's egos if they have been cosetted/protected in high school.  My brother-in-law, a professor of engineering sciences at Univer. of Toronto, said they deliberately fail /weed out students who haven't got the academic chops in lst year. 

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

That's fine.  But I would like to see her go up against contestants that are smarter than me.  Patsy got 7 right and 5 wrong?  Sean only got 6 right.  C'mon, people!  :o   

Ok, I know you want TV excellence.

Amy already has won....she's an engineering manager..outside the tv platform.  She probably could outwit a large chunk us, in certain subject  disciplines.

******************The  problem now for some TV viewers,...I can see it already if  one  doesn't know of bright women in the STEM disciplines in one's own extended family, no workplace exposure to female engineers, nor one's own social circles of STEM female professionals in engineering, medicine, chemistry/math/hard sciences, then they see such women being a bit not normal / too aggressive. 

This is not genetic coincidence.  It  must  actively encouraged/supported for girls/women. I come from a family that is proof of this. Of course..there's the other extreme, me being from the humanities and social sciences, it's misunderstood.

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok, I know you want TV excellence.

Amy already has won....she's an engineering manager..outside the tv platform.  She probably could outwit a large chunk us, in certain subject  disciplines.

******************The  problem now for some TV viewers,...I can see it already if  one  doesn't know of bright women in the STEM disciplines in one's own extended family, no workplace exposure to female engineers, nor one's own social circles of STEM female professionals in engineering, medicine, chemistry/math/hard sciences, then they see such women being a bit not normal / too aggressive. 

This is not genetic coincidence.  It  must  actively encouraged/supported for girls/women. I come from a family that is proof of this. Of course..there's the other extreme, me being from the humanities and social sciences, it's misunderstood.

My in-laws were disappointed when their highly educated (and at elite colleges) daughter opted to become a private school science teacher instead of bioengineer. She loves the work, but it’s not what her parents had hoped would come from their investment. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I think I said this before, but the game almost seems rigged at this point.  She knows everything and her opponents seem to know nothing.  When her opponents are stupider than I am, something is wrong.   

Very strange.

I don’t think we know what the other contenders really know because Amy is skilled on the buzzer. They don’t get many chances. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Which sector does she work in or for an engineering firm? Is she the one who was so stubborn in her arguments with parents?

To get into Canadian engineering university programs, the faculties of engineering make it very hard. Very high school academic sr. marks upon application  (over 90% out of 100 perfect score), and lst year can be brutal ..on student's egos if they have been cosetted/protected in high school.  My brother-in-law, a professor of engineering sciences at Univer. of Toronto, said they deliberately fail /weed out students who haven't got the academic chops in lst year. 

Very stubborn. She won the women's division of two 24 hour bike races. She works for Bayer designing specialty farm equipment such as tractors and other farm equipment. The equipment is used to test seeds, fertilizer, and herbicides. 

• Awesome 2

18 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My in-laws were disappointed when their highly educated (and at elite colleges) daughter opted to become a private school science teacher instead of bioengineer. She loves the work, but it’s not what her parents had hoped would come from their investment. 

No doubt. they are still happy she is putting her education in  different way.

I'm so certain my brother-in-law/professor of engineering, had hoped his daughter would make a long run at engineering profession after graduation. 

Her mother died when daughter-engineer was approx. 2-3 years into her full-time engineering career, her mid-20's.  It's been an enormous mental climb of several years for her, as result of her mother's death.  He now sees her in a happier, productive place which most likely that's all he wants for his children.  I know those 2 chat often...she half jokes about the obtuseness of her father on certain matters. However, there is underlying fondness that one sees in the tweets.  Her father rails on challenges video-teaching his engineering students..

Niece has a new 2nd novel to be released by established publisher ..this fall. 

17 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I don’t think we know what the other contenders really know because Amy is skilled on the buzzer. They don’t get many chances. 

A couple of contestants have come close. When is the Tournament of Champions? Maybe we’ll see an Amy v Matt game?