I'm getting tired -- real tired

Dottleshead

Remember that the difference between hero and zero is only one letter. 

I feel your pain. I once worked for a dickhead who wanted every security patch and upgrade installed ASAP so he could brag at the manager's meetings. I suggested that we wait at least a week to see if any issues were popping up. Nope. As you may guess, three times we had to roll back the patches after they made it out to production. Twice they were big Oracle patches.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

Back when I was into computer maintenance and software at Pratt and Whitney I learned the most important thing.  I am gifting it to you now Dots in a pass it on moment.

Power off

Power On.

Fixed.

:nodhead:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Back when I was into computer maintenance and software at Pratt and Whitney I learned the most important thing.  I am gifting it to you now Dots in a pass it on moment.

Power off

Power On.

Fixed.

:nodhead:

You're my auxiliary hero.  Jerry wins because -- well I was here when he actually went through the membrane over to the other side.

• Haha 1

Alright, so all 5 clusters are actively getting pelted with my tests.  They will complete at 3 a.m. PST -- at which time I need to be awake and kick off more tests so that I can get about 6 hours to troubleshoot before I have to kick off more tests.  Make sure you folks back east stop in to say Hi.

• Hugs 2

I can't imagine the frustration of your job when sr. managers have no clue what is required.   Lines of coding that needs to eyeballed and checked/ tested. It's too bad that there aren't additional hardware for you to do it and more immediate instead of separately...but it sounds like something tried at home, ie. private workstation to test.

My job /our work group must partner with the IT division that is responsible this corporate-wide system.  It is often our central group that requests on behalf for all 40 other depts. to improve certain parts of the software application  corporate-wide...usually it's integrations with other corporate software (financial, HR, GIS), workflow design or report design. 

Sorry you're having a busy, difficult time at work.  Things seem to pile up when you're tired and don't have th energy to fix thtings that you might after a good night's sleep.  Hope things go well and you get some rest.

• Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

What are your plans re this  job?  Stick it out for a few years or is eyeball on  other stuff?

I’m not doing anything until they get rid of me. I have learned through contracting that most tech companies have big problems. Essentially there is no greener pastures. I feel I’m getting compensated fairly by market standards. So while I think a change would be good, it’d kind of be a bad move on my behalf at my age. I secretly hope I get laid off all the time but that’s not exactly a winning hand either. 

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I’m not doing anything until they get rid of me. I have learned through contracting that most tech companies have big problems. Essentially there is no greener pastures. I feel I’m getting compensated fairly by market standards. So while I think a change would be good, it’d kind of be a bad move on my behalf at my age. I secretly hope I get laid off all the time but that’s not exactly a winning hand either. 

Am wishing you a red carpet of  good health, deep, long sleep ...you need to go for a bike ride. I know..it's been very windy, rainy...at least in  Vancouver. King  tides..smashing up the  bike-ped paths there.

We've had  9 staff  changes in our team within the last  3 years (and I'm 1 of those changes). Our latest just transferred to another dept. So waiting for..hopefully another experienced hand. I like my job and consider myself  normally adaptable to alot of corporate change. After all, have worked for 9 other employers. (actually more, if counting patching several part-time jobs).

Maybe it's just my energy level at this time.

• Heart 2

First the good news.  All the tests I kicked off earlier passed.  Now the bad news, I'm trying to configure my hardware for the next round of tests.  This is a bummer.  Not my friend.

ERROR ******************** TRACEBACK ********************

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/qa/bin/XXXXXXXXXXX.py", line 13, in <module> __main__.main()

File "/usr/local/qa/bin/XXXXXXXXXXX/__main__.py", line 639, in main

(first_node_type=="VirtNode"), args.wipe, args.skip)

File "/usr/local/qa/bin/XXXXXXXXXXX/reimage.py", line 800, in reimage

raise FatalSerialConfigError(msg) XXXXXXXXXXXr.exceptions.FatalSerialConfigError: 4 nodes died: YYYYYYYYYY-1, YYYYYYYYYY-3, YYYYYYYYYY-2, YYYYYYYYYY-4

So who's making the pot of coffee?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

The key to troubleshooting is to shoot the trouble twice, in the heart area. That way you know the trouble is dead. 
Most People who die in horror movies don’t do this, and the trouble comes back with a vengeance. 

Rather funny, in a macabre way. Dottles  and other IT folks having recurring nightmares...well, hopefully only 2-3 times/yr.

I gave the effort and I think I'm going to come up short by a day -- but it is possible I can find this problem tomorrow and still hit the late, late deadline.  Let's see what my manager says.  Otherwise, I plan on taking a couple of days off on the company mid-week.  That only puts me on equal footing with you for a couple days @Page Turner -- but I'm looking forward to my days ahead in about 10 years, whereas you, I believe, will be looking forward to them running out.  :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1