Word for the Year

MoseySusan

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems odd they would accept that for "Word for the Year"?  

Interesting word, word.
Five, different definitions. Only one refers to a single element “with a space on either side.” 
The author of the Doc accepts phrases. There was no rule limiting responses to a single word. 

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Interesting word, word.
Five, different definitions. Only one refers to a single element “with a space on either side.” 
The author of the Doc accepts phrases. There was no rule limiting responses to a single word. 

How does accepting two words for Word of the Year fit with the philosophy behind "kitchen window"?  

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does accepting two words for Word of the Year fit with the philosophy behind "kitchen window"?  

Just spitballing…

-crowdsourcing (and brainstorming) is messy

-“word” also means “a script,” as a person would recite/perform 

-recognize arbitrary preferences 

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I thought we were having a conversation.  :( 

I just was pulling in one of the fun phrases last week.  

To me, for conversational purposes, "Word of the Year" is a single word per entry.  If we want phrase or term or words or whatever of the year, then we ought to clearly state it at the start.  In fact, that dopey post I had a couple days ago should have been the top banished terms of the year instead of banished words.  Sure, terms are made up of words, but I think of it more as a "list of words" would be a word per entry in the list, and a list of terms or phrases would be a rage of single words or several words per entry.

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I just was pulling in one of the fun phrases last week.  

To me, for conversational purposes, "Word of the Year" is a single word per entry.  If we want phrase or term or words or whatever of the year, then we ought to clearly state it at the start.  In fact, that dopey post I had a couple days ago should have been the top banished terms of the year instead of banished words.  Sure, terms are made up of words, but I think of it more as a "list of words" would be a word per entry in the list, and a list of terms or phrases would be a rage of single words or several words per entry.

A lot of people used more than one word in the comments section. It is a bit messy. And I have zero expectation the author will contact me for follow-up. 

The meaning and use of this phrase is still wide open. I’m in it for the year. It currently lives in Urban Dictionary, here, in three comments on NYT articles, and in the crowdsourced Doc.