Need Forum help to settle a debate

Kirby

When you make your bed, do you put the top sheet  on upside down, so the stitching is on the top when you fold it over at the top?  Or do you put it right side up so that when you fold over the top, you're seeing the underside of the sheet?

• Heart 2

Just now, Kirby said:

When you make your bed, do you put the top sheet  on upside down, so the stitching is on the top when you fold it over at the top?  Or do you put it right side up so that when you fold over the top, you're seeing the underside of the sheet?

I put it on with the most comfortable side down cause that's what sleeps with me.  I don't care what it looks like.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I have learned one thing on this forum, it is, debates are never settled. :)  Even the most obvious toilet paper over the front or down the back thread was never resolved and we all know the answer to that one.  :) 

We did decided that we all pee in the shower, no?

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Even if you don't make the bed, don't you see it when you are in the bed?  :scratchhead:

I think, if I was making the bed with a top sheet that has a pattern and will be folded down to be exposed, I'd aim for the pattern to be correctly displayed.  Our normal sheets have a simple wider hem (?) to mark the top vs the bottom, so it doesn't really "pop" that much if the sheet is backwards or not.  It would be worse to put the narrower hem at the top and the wider one at the foot of the bed!  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

The correct answer is "The same thing you do" because Kirby is never wrong.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

BTW - making the bed vs making the bed for GUESTS are two totally different experiences in my house.  I can make our bed.  I am completely incapable of making the guest beds properly (or so I'm told).  It requires similar training and efficiency that folks from the military might be able to relate to.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not much of a housekeeper.

I tend to fold over the sheet under the duvet, so at the top when you rest you chin under the duvet, you can see the topstitching. It just looks nicer.

I used to do alot of advanced sewing. The  point is to show the neatness of the topstitching, it's like a fabric neat border over the duvet. It looks  nice when the sheets are a solid colour and is a nice contrast against the duvet.

Am approaching from an aesthetic finish standpoint.:foryou:

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My mom taught me to turn the top sheet upside down so that the fancy stitching or pattern would show when the bed is turned down. So, that’s how I make the beds and how I taught my own kids. 

This. I was single digits old when Mom taught me the correct way to lay the top sheet. She said you want to sleep with the best side next to you. I remember my immediate thought was, it’s the same sheet Mom. I make it however the sheet falls. In over 60 years no one has ever complained. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The over under on TP over under - my wife is under, I am the correct over, but so far she has not complained when 9 times oot of 10 I reverse it to the correct way. :D

I'm an over guy as well and have even corrected it when when visiting relative's houses. WoUB just shoves it on whichever way it happens to be when she picks the new roll up. I correct it immediately...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I'm an over guy as well and have even corrected it when when visiting relative's houses. WoUB just shoves it on whichever way it happens to be when she picks the new roll up. I correct it immediately...

I had no idea that random was one of the possible modes of operation!

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

I had no idea that random was one of the modes of operation!

Yeah, well she also squeezes the toothpaste tube in the middle. Thank the good lord she now uses a different kind than me, so we have different tubes!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I had no idea that random was one of the possible modes of operation!

I was always random until I noticed when the granddaughters would visit they would always turn it so it was over the top so I started putting it the other way just to mess with them.

• Haha 3

I’m the military we had white sheets so it didn’t matter which side was down.  At home we don’t really care and I’d have to check to see if the pattern is up or down.  We pull up the bead spread & place the pillows on top so you can’t see the sheets. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

My mom taught me to turn the top sheet upside down so that the fancy stitching or pattern would show when the bed is turned down. So, that’s how I make the beds and how I taught my own kids. 

This is the correct way. 

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

...do people ever say to you, "first world problem" ?  Just asking.:)

• Haha 2