Didn't Expect To See Two Saints Yesterday

Razors Edge

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...but the cold weather and closed gardens sort of led us to a bit of chance.  The docent happened to ask us if we were the party who requested the 1:00 tour. We said no, but we'd love to have one. Bad boom, bada bing! Two saints, plus an informative 45 min guided tour.  Winning!

And a neat church, at that.

IMG_1767.thumb.jpeg.8ae16d1e9b6f0ee68bb7e249407474d4.jpeg

IMG_1764.thumb.jpeg.895dbe896361570da39f1a6720d827ce.jpeg

I've always enjoyed just walking into local unique churches. We have a local fantastic Ukranian church that just made everyone's jaw drop when we all walked in. Of course, Ukranians were a major immigrant settler group for the farms/rural areas in Alberta in 1800's to 1900's. Church below is just 2 km. away.

smallerstvladimir.jpg

When we were in Hawai'i,  (I think this was Big Island), I peeked into a smallish church:

churchhawaii.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

I've always enjoyed just walking into local unique churches. We have a local fantastic Ukranian church that just made everyone's jaw drop when we all walked in. Of course, Ukranians were a major immigrant settler group for the farms/rural areas in Alberta in 1800's to 1900's.

It's one of our #1 things on trips.  We love popping into churches (or synagogues, mosques, temples, whatever) and seeing the beauty of them :) both inside and out.

• Awesome 1

I also go into churches to see their stained glass art if they have any. I took 2 courses  on stainglass making. I will show you what I threw out in garbage...later.

Reject Not at First Glance : Stained Glass Church Art – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  Features stained glass art ..alot of in Europe.

In mountain resort town of Banff  (in Banff National Park), just inside the church above the front door, you will see this stained glass  art, which is actually a local mountain, Mt. Rundle:

rundlestained-glass.jpg?w=1000&h=694

Below in Christchurch Cathedral, downtown Vancouver, "The Tree of Life" artwork below is by a First Nations artist. Depicts salmon (when they die) they nourish the trees. Background of the ocean:

northernstainedglasschristchurch.jpg

24 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Sounds good!  Sacre Coeur in Paris was amazing to me.

Never went inside :(  Love the views from up there, and it sure is pretty on the outside.  But I think you can walk to the top and get a better view from inside.

DSC01368.thumb.JPG.e85cd5c2a6cf67f8fad952f738c38747.JPG

Wow!  Thanks for posting.  That's only an hour's drive from my house and I didn't know about it.  Maybe some of my gang will arrange a tour!

I've been to the Basilica in Washington and stood outside while Pope Benedict passed by and waved to the crowd, but not this one.

43 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've been to the Basilica in Washington

They share the same Metro stop.  It is very easy to do both the same day.  If it was my first time going, besides the inside guided tour, I would set time aside for the gardens - especially if certain things are in bloom.