Went to LL Bean with the wife

Square Wheels

57 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I do too but I am disappointed that one of their heavy shirts has worn severely in the collar and it is only around 10 or so years old. Thankfully others around that age have held up beautifully. It seems to have been a poor material. 

Take it back. One of the very few retailers that would understand a shirt should last more than ten years...

• Awesome 3

8 hours ago, Further said:

Take it back. One of the very few retailers that would understand a shirt should last more than ten years...

Thanks!  Doubt I'll do that but nice to know that I could!  My mother gifted me a few for Christmas so it would be nice if they lasted a long time as a memento of her, not to mention as a shirt!

14 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I like LL Bean stuff. I also buy a lot from Duluth Trading too.

I get a lot of grief because around here, Carhartt is the ultimate in fashion and style.

I like my Carhartt stuff.  I have a zipp up insulated waterproof hoodie that has become my fav jacket for just about everything.  It's old and has been abused but is still holding up great.  

12 hours ago, Further said:

They, like REI and others like Nordstrom's, have revamped their return policies quite a bit.  I think, like REI, it might depend on who you deal with, but the old "return anything, anytime, for any reason" has fallen off.  :(

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s a lot of warm stuff. Do you think you will need it with this glowball worming that we are having?.

He's screwed! He's gearing up for a cold and normal Boston winter.  Boy is he gonna regret not stocking up on warm weather gear, but he's got the cash to buy both :)

I remember years ago at my family Christmas party seeing what my one cousin got for xmas.  It was all like Arctic weather gear - monster boots, super warm coat, etc., and I was like WTF does he need that???  I was quickly informed about the difference between Boston winters (where he was at college) and eastern PA winters (where we were).  I was like :o

12 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I live very close to LL Bean's first Canadian location, but have not checked it out yet. I mostly avoid malls, but I will have to go one day.

I really liked the one @Old No. 7 mentioned near us, but my visits there are very rare.  I generally go to the smaller REI more convenient to me (not a big mall guy).  When it first opened, I worked pretty close, so it was fun to visit and browse, but honestly, there was rarely much I wanted or needed.  Still, of the stores at the mall, it was probably one of my favorites, so I will miss it. It's a big space (two levels, too), so I wonder how easily they will fill it.  I just don't understand the economics of getting no rent in a space for months (years?) vs lowering rent for existing tenants. 

• Heart 1

I used to stick to a strict shopping list, but now I've reached the point that, often, when I go into a store, I come out with more than I intended.

Especially groceries.  Last week needed bananas, half-and-half, and frozen veggies for soup and came out after buying $70 worth of food.

• Heart 1

We shop sales whether it be LL Bean, Duluth Trading Post, Sierra Trading Post, or RidgeMerino. Carhartt or Wall are my go to work clothes, with different weights for different seasons. Don't buy from REI, as I've found their stuff too expensive, and we do not always agree with their political leanings relative to wildlife, etc.

• Heart 2

Most of my outdoor gear is Patagonia. I've got some Marmot, Sweet Protection, and Arcterx as well. I just got this baselayer. Norwegian company, weird stuff, but damn it works. The Scandinavians seem to know what they are doing with cold weather outdoor gear. Locally, Stio is popular. I'm not sure how well known it is outside of the Mountain West.

I ski with a guy who does marketing for Jack Wolfskin. I wasn't familiar with the company. I told he needs to outfit us with their stuff. 

med_10200300_Super.jpg

15 hours ago, denniS said:

Me too. I own a lot of wool. Socks, hats, base layers, jerseys.

Wool is ideal for outdoor wear.  Wool seems to warm better and wick better.  Wool doesn't absorb odor like polyfleece.  When it sheds, it is a natural fiber too, and that is great. Can't say enough good things about wool clothing.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1