For the wheel builders

ChrisL

50 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd guess it may be something like this?    Me all my wheels use tubes.  

Petty much the same principle I used to install a trailer hitch a few years back. Wire through the frame to catch the bolt. Fishing. 😃

All mine are tube rims so I found this interesting. 

• Heart 1

I keep a small piece of the threaded end of a steel,( as in strongly attracted by a magnet), spoke for exactly this purpose. I thread the spoke end into the nipple leaving just enough sticking out to grasp with my fingertips . Then I drop it in the valve hole and lead it from the outside with a magnet to the hole I want it to go to. Then it is a test of fine motor skills to unscrew the spoke stub from the nipple and get the nipple started on the spoke without losing it in the rim and having to start over.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I broke a spoke on my Shimano GRX wheel and since they are tubeless ready and don’t require rim tape as there are no spoke holes, how do you get a new nipple in there?

I’ll take it to the shop tomorrow but am wondering how they go about fixing it?

When I mounted my tubeless tires to my GRX wheels, I feel like I remember there being rim tape :scratchhead:  I'm not pulling them apart to check, but are you sure they didn't have tape already installed? 

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When I mounted my tubeless tires to my GRX wheels, I feel like I remember there being rim tape :scratchhead:  I'm not pulling them apart to check, but are you sure they didn't have tape already installed? 

Tubeless rims without nipple holes in the inner wall are not terribly common, but they come up often enough that I need to be equipped to deal with them. They make tubeless rim tape for the rims that do have nipple holes of course.

12 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Tubeless rims without nipple holes in the inner wall are not terribly common, but they come up often enough that I need to be equipped to deal with them. They make tubeless rim tape for the rims that do have nipple holes of course.

Looking at the GRX 570 specs on Shimano's website, it looks like there are definitely spoke holes.

image.png.012a3bd19bf9379557d353daacfd878c.png

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Looking at the GRX 570 specs on Shimano's website, it looks like there are definitely spoke holes.

image.png.012a3bd19bf9379557d353daacfd878c.png

Yeah, come to think of it, I don't remember any Shimano wheels with a solid inner wall, but just when I think I have seen everything, something new pops up. That wheel does have proprietary spokes and nipples though.

I actually have never seen the inner wall, I bought the wheels, tires & sealant & the shop mounted them for free.  I do remember not having to buy tape and I coulda swore the shop said you don’t need tape on these wheels. Or maybe they came with tape?  

The mystery will be solved soon enough as I’ll strip down the wheel before I take it in.  

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Petty much the same principle I used to install a trailer hitch a few years back. Wire through the frame to catch the bolt. Fishing

Yeah... that's how I got the bolts into the frame in my Subaru for the trailer hitch.  I worked WAY better than excepted. 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Yeah... that's how I got the bolts into the frame in my Subaru for the trailer hitch.  I worked WAY better than excepted. 

Yeah, I shopped around a few years back for Gina's rack. 😆

Most wanted $250 to install one. I found one at UHaul for $69. Installed it myself. Actually fun and interesting. 

• Heart 1