Freak out @time's passage

shootingstar

Am freakin' out abit...I came across graduating alumni group photos. Online exhibit for each yr.  Screen joyfully says:  Celebration of 50 years, etc. Then I realized I graduated almost  40 yrs. ago. :blink:

So glad to have jump-skipped across 9 different employers, so the decades didn't feel so long.

So much has happened. I began my career when the Internet was still stuck somewhere in some US university lab. Gawd...I could talk so much on how many different phases of technology and the Internet/web applications, has directly affected my jobs, learn one thing, then abandon (well almost) a decade later for something better, an endless cycle of this.

For sure, accusing boomer incapable of learning stuff...give me break!!!!  

• Heart 4

14 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

40 years? I thought you were older than I am. 

I graduated 42 years ago. 😲 

I'm 58 years old. 

I am older....will be 63 in a few wks.  Meant graduated from university.

I finished high school in 1978. In Ontario one had  the choice to finish to Gr. 13 at that time. 

• Heart 1

There are times when I"m doing quick calculations and am surprised when I focus on how long ago certain decades really are.  To me, the 90's seem like they should be no more than 20 years ago  Surprisingly, I also think the 80's are only about 20 years ago too.  Sometimes I don't value logic.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I was listening to The Cure a few days ago. mr. said, “That song is 40 years old. When you first heard it, a 40 year old song would have been from the 40’s…like Chattanooga Choo-Choo.” Totally killed my vibe. 

Have you ever read this blog post on Wait But Why?  It's from 2020, but the concepts still work. It has some interesting takes on time perception

https://waitbutwhy.com/2020/01/its-2020-and-youre-in-the-future.html

If you were born in the 1980s like me, a kid today who’s the age you were in 1990 is a full 30-year generation younger than you. They’ll remember Obama’s presidency the way you remember Reagan’s. 9/11 to them is the moon landing for you. The 90s seem as ancient to them as the 60s seem to you. To you, the 70s are just a little before your time—that’s how they think of the 2000s. They see the 70s how you see the 40s. And the hippy 60s seems as old to them as the Great Depression seems to you.

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Am freakin' out abit...I came across graduating alumni group photos. Online exhibit for each yr.  Screen joyfully says:  Celebration of 50 years, etc. Then I realized I graduated almost  40 yrs. ago. :blink:

So glad to have jump-skipped across 9 different employers, so the decades didn't feel so long.

So much has happened. I began my career when the Internet was still stuck somewhere in some US university lab. Gawd...I could talk so much on how many different phases of technology and the Internet/web applications, has directly affected my jobs, learn one thing, then abandon (well almost) a decade later for something better, an endless cycle of this.

For sure, accusing boomer incapable of learning stuff...give me break!!!!  

Getting suddenly hit with the realization of age sucks!

There was a cute girl named Barbara in our Catholic School grades 1-8 Class of '64.  I'm still in touch with a couple classmates from the same Class and one of them recently asked me what Barbara's married last name is now - she thought she saw some news about her.

The last time I saw Barbara was at our 20-year reunion in 1984, the year the 100 of us turned 34, but didn't remember her married name.

I finally tracked down Barbara and her married last name on Facebook.  There was a picture of Barbara and her husband, both older and with gray hair.

My first thought was, "Wrong Barbara - this is an old woman!"

Then I zoomed the picture, recognized the face, and realized it was her: she's what we have ALL become!

• Heart 1

If you were born in the 1980s like me, a kid today who’s the age you were in 1990 is a full 30-year generation younger than you. They’ll remember Obama’s presidency the way you remember Reagan’s. 9/11 to them is the moon landing for you. The 90s seem as ancient to them as the 60s seem to you. To you, the 70s are just a little before your time—that’s how they think of the 2000s. They see the 70s how you see the 40s. And the hippy 60s seems as old to them as the Great Depression seems to you.

So sad they see the 60's, even 70's that way. There was enormous social change worldwide... (nothing to do with technology advances):  civil rights movement, decolonization worldwide happening for African and Carribbean countries, more women becoming educated..in professions beyond high school and taking on wider set of jobs where there were only men, etc.  Enormous change....and any women in this forum who would say they were not beneficiaries, is living under a rock.

also the laws in areas of reproductive rights, divorce, etc.

For instance, a good friend who is approx. 83 yrs. old or so, says to me..when women during when she was a FTE nurse, could only think primarily (there were exceptions of course) of being secretary, nurse or teacher.   

3 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I was listening to The Cure a few days ago. mr. said, “That song is 40 years old. When you first heard it, a 40 year old song would have been from the 40’s…like Chattanooga Choo-Choo.” Totally killed my vibe. 

That's insane but true. :(  Wow.  Just wow.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

For instance, a good friend who is approx. 83 yrs. old or so, says to me..when women during when she was a FTE nurse, could only think primarily (there were exceptions of course) of being secretary, nurse or teacher.   

Not even teacher, according to my dad. He said I should be a secretary (his word), and then we fought for three months of summer before I went off to the university that gave me a scholarship for their speech and debate team where I studied to become an English teacher. He was sad the night I boarded the bus. Part sad we’d been fighting, part sad I was leaving home, part sad I was studying to be a teacher.

• Hugs 2

27 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Not even teacher, according to my dad. He said I should be a secretary (his word), and then we fought for three months of summer before I went off to the university that gave me a scholarship for their speech and debate team where I studied to become an English teacher. He was sad the night I boarded the bus. Part sad we’d been fighting, part sad I was leaving home, part sad I was studying to be a teacher.

Wow. A young adult does have to feel so strongly their destiny (at that point in time).

My father thought I should be a teacher..only because what else does one do with my degree.  Also I have an older first cousin approx. 15 yrs. older who became an elementary school teacher after her teaching degree following English lit. degree.

But he really wanted me to major in a STEM discipline because of course every parent wants their child to get a guaranteed job/profession. Plus the prestige /instant turnaround social ladder climbing acceptability from lowly immigrant, high school status only.  I was the teen that fought strongest in my family, on my choice of university discipline because STEM major, was not my passion.

So in the end, I wanted an easy solution for a  "job" after lst degree, so I went for my 2nd degree, library info. sciences after Enlgish lit undergrad. 2nd degree is social science area..since information management is both qualitative and quantitive analysis with some empirical evidence etc. including human cognition of information (ie. words, word usage..not far removed from language use and cognition :) ).

All siblings majored in STEM discipline. So I'm an outlier in family.  Father knew deep down that was not my area of interest at all, based on what I loved to do as a kid, teen, etc. It's not a surprise to anyone in my family and  long-time friends, that I'm blogging, took evening art courses when working full-time... My Muse can't be muffled forever.

Education is a learning investment in self-growth, never a guarantee it will land the matching job.

5 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I listen to the radio when working in my garage and the only station that my POS garage radio gets clearly is an oldies station.  It really chaos my ass to hear 80’s music on the oldies station as my brain doesn’t recognize that line the music, I’m also old.

Also reminds me of when my wife & I saw UB40 at our local fair a few years back. Me: Dang Ali is old… WOChrisL: Have you looked in the mirror lately?  😡

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Saw Al Stewart in concert last year in a small venue. Excellent show. He tells a story about Robert Fripp of King Crimson teaching him guitar which is very funny. Also a story about acting like a reporter so that he could meet the Beatles backstage well before he became a known musician.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

There are times when I"m doing quick calculations and am surprised when I focus on how long ago certain decades really are.  To me, the 90's seem like they should be no more than 20 years ago  Surprisingly, I also think the 80's are only about 20 years ago too.  Sometimes I don't value logic.

I remember as a kid in the 60s watching tv shows from the 30s ( ok, I guess they were actually fillums).  They seemed ancient. Going back 30 years from here, 1992 diess as not seem nearly as ancient comparatively. And classic rock is as old as 50 years!  Like 1910 in the 60s!  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I've never heard from The Cure, etc. 

I'm not familiar with alot of the rock & other music since1970's, 'cause I started to primarily listen to only baroque classical music in early 1980's onward  --instrumental and choral  composed in 16-17th century. That also excludes Beethoven, Mozart (Mozart follows after baroque), etc.  There are some fast numbers in baroque  --make no mistake and a driving beat.

If there were lyrics since 1970's, which made global fame, I might have heard the tune.  So I've been in the dark since Beatles, Rod Stewart, Michael Jackson, The Who, Linda Ronstadt, etc.  I'm a  lost cause. :) :D 

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

After this head cold clears up, I’ll start reading books aloud as a side gig.

My  niece now  has 4 novels audio recorded by paid readers. She made some comments on 1  style of a reader vs. another. 

She seems to have forgotten to indicate the audio versions on her website.

Latest tweet, she is referring to a 2.5 yr. old niece (which would be my great niece).  I'm not sure,  if the parents  talk so much about testing to their toddler..:P

image.png.906d06da987b7d994f00d25e8034fa51.png

• Haha 1