I built a thing

Rattlecan

Just now, Wilbur said:

I am interested to hear about the aggravation and time it saves.

It is an improvement on a previous model I made. The original was necessitated when I started getting a lot of internal nipple wheel builds and I found starting the nipples trying to insert them like I normally did holding the rim upright in my lap just wasn't working. The jig worked well for that, and when I started doing more straight pull spoke builds, I found it worked well for that too. 

I made this video when I built the original jig. The new version is actually built on the old. I just turned it upside down and built on the bottom. It allows for the spokes to hang down so I can preload all the heads out spokes on the top side.

• Heart 4

4 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

It is an improvement on a previous model I made. The original was necessitated when I started getting a lot of internal nipple wheel builds and I found starting the nipples trying to insert them like I normally did holding the rim upright in my lap just wasn't working. The jig worked well for that, and when I started doing more straight pull spoke builds, I found it worked well for that too. 

I made this video when I built the original jig. The new version is actually built on the old. I just turned it upside down and built on the bottom. It allows for the spokes to hang down so I can preload all the heads out spokes on the top side.

Great video, Dan!

• Thank You 1

Well, I built a couple of sets with it, and it works as intended, but I did make a small modification. I found that the hub was perched a bit high in relation to where the rim lay, so rather than shorten the mast on the hub support, I added some raised supports for the rim. It's at the perfect height now.

If you watched the video above, you saw the different hub supports that I made for QR and solid axle hubs. The QR support worked sort of OK for thru axle hubs, but I decided to make another support with a 12mm rod for those. Works great.

9DEE9FDE-B485-4D51-A29A-92DAA8DF846F.jpeg

0A110C0A-01D1-4377-AD19-2EC98744E65E.jpeg

79844A28-CD0F-48B8-B51F-D3ED027AC1DF.jpeg

8552A744-8C8E-480D-B1DD-FDA020756972.jpeg

• Heart 3