CUSTOMER EMERGENCY! CUSTOMER EMERGENCY!

Thaddeus Kosciuszko
Go to solution Solved by Zealot,

[Friday afternoon, 2:20pm.  Phone rings.]

Customer: Oh, help help help!  Emergency!  Emergency!

Engineer:  What's wrong?  How can I help?

Customer: Oh, the contractor did it all wrong!  And we have to occupy the place on Monday!  Oh, woe is me!

Engineer:  What happened?

Customer: The contractor cut the hole in the wall one inch too large, and the safety department says it's a fire hazard! This is terrible!

Engineer:  Have him patch the hole to the right size...

Customer:  You don't understand!  We need a drawing!  We need a detail!  The contractor doesn't know what to do!  Doesn't know how to fix the hole!! He wants an extra!  OMG!!

Engineer:  Have the contractor look at the drawings.  It's already on there how to build it.  I'll send you a write-up just to make sure the contractor knows what he has to do.

Customer: Can you send that over in the next 5 minutes or so?  I need to give that to the contractor and to the safety department before I leave for the weekend.

Engineer: :angry:

Holy hole batman! How can a contractor not fill in a hole they cut to large?? Sounds like a simple patch and scratch it off deal to me! 

That sounds like a change order

Ca Ching!

Krazy provides a sane answer to the situation but...

Scrapr is right.  The customer signed off on the work before he called safety to check it.

Well... I didn't see the part about the customer signing off on the work.. Think I was overlooking that from being astounded by the stupidity...

I would call it the owners fault for signing off and not inspecting the building prior to doing so.. Always look at the nooks and crannies before doing a sign off.. I was  burt this way in the past on a job site, and never let it happen again! 

Sounds like it was a fire stopping issue.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner, people!  :D  Good call, Z...

As far as an Engineering Judgment, the customer refuses to go that route.  I had a different issue where the firestopping company drew up Certified Installation Instructions to build a firestop assembly and the customer refused to accept it because "it wasn't UL". :rolleyes:

But he signs off on the UL assembly he wanted but the contractor installed incorrectly anyway.

And then he bolts out of the building to start his weekend early.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner, people!  :D  Good call, Z...

As far as an Engineering Judgment, the customer refuses to go that route.  I had a different issue where the firestopping company drew up Certified Installation Instructions to build a firestop assembly and the customer refused to accept it because "it wasn't UL". :rolleyes:

But he signs off on the UL assembly he wanted but the contractor installed incorrectly anyway.

Good heavens.  Shirley a little fire-rated bubble gum should be fine!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, people! :D Good call, Z...

As far as an Engineering Judgment, the customer refuses to go that route. I had a different issue where the firestopping company drew up Certified Installation Instructions to build a firestop assembly and the customer refused to accept it because "it wasn't UL". :rolleyes:

For a small fee, the customer could have had your EJ proposal UL certified. Though sometimes it takes a little time to get.

Yeah, the whole "the sky is falling" behavior and then leaving early is kind of frustrating.