Do you wear a mask while riding alone?

Mr. Beanz

I do. Started because of the virus.  Riding on the roads at night, using a helmet light,  I started seeing all the crud flying in the air in the light beam. I was shocked so I kept wearing the mask after leaving the group. Wasn't comfortable riding with 25 others close quarters when only 2 or 3 of us wear the mandatory mask. 

I got used to it so I always take my mask along.  Part of that is to protect my ears from the cool air as well.  Getting soft in my old age. 🤣

I do remove the mask from covering my nose and mouth when I am alone.  I will pull it back up as I approach others.  I see very few wearing a mask that seem to keep them up the entire time. I myself have to breath clear once in a while when I start to struggle on the bike.

I  think about these things so if someone passes me,  I will back off a step letting them pull away a but quicker. The more distance between us, the better I feel. 

But there are those who don't think that way. Many times I pull up on someone from far behind,  as I roll up and they notice me. They increase their speed and end up staying 10 feet ahead of me. Great,  now I have to slow down and let them pull ahead some. Or I have to wait till the blow their load so I can pass more quickly. 

I try to keep my distance as well, to be safe.

Riding alone. I have it up 40% of the time. If I pull up on someone I pull it up. If I ride with someone,  I pull it up unless I'm at the front.  But if I'm even close to being behind someone in their exhaust,  I cover up. 

BTW, lastnight. had a dream I was a muffler. I woke up exhausted! 😆😁😆

Riding solo,  still wearing a mask and covered up much of the time. 

20220110_140747.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Not while on the bike. Summer of 2020 I was spray painting some folding chairs. The wind blows a lot in Nebraska. I had a heck of a time finding a calm enough place to paint. I figured if it was that hard to get paint to a chair, I was probably ok in the outdoors. 
I also understand our rider density is much lower. When I ride gravel, I might see a half dozen vehicles on the roads. None of them bikes. Road riding is also sparse.  The trails can be busy, but nothing like I saw when I rode in CA a few years back. 
I will be in Az next week! I already told WoW the first thing I do after getting the truck unloaded is I’m going for a spin on my bike in our new neighborhood. I’ll see if I need to rethink things when I get there. 

• Heart 4

No, I don't wear mask when I bike. Alot of the cycling I do  during pandemic, there's enough distance between self and cyclists/peds.   Or  if it is  near peds/joggers especially ...if they are too close, I  hold my breath for a few secs.  Some of those joggers  spew off steam...

I usually have a mask stored on me 'cause cycling for me  to get things done as well as exercise.

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No, I don't wear mask when I bike. Alot of the cycling I do  during pandemic, there's enough distance between self and cyclists/peds.   

There can be space around here but sometimes not like this time Gina and I were on our tandem. 😄 Pre covid. 

But if it were covid times,  I'd be ok without a mask if we are on the front. But too many riders if we drop back. 🤣

0T8.JPG

• Heart 1

When Covid first hit and you couldn’t find masks anywhere I found a cycling mask on amazon. I bought it because it was the only mask that wasn’t out of stock. I also ordered a box of masks that were supposed to be available in two weeks. I wasn’t riding at that time because I was caring for my wife but I wore that mask in stores and stuff until my other masks came in. It was weird because it had a valve that opened when you exhale. Not good for protecting other people. I tried it when the weather got cold this winter and it was ok but didn’t keep my nose warm like a balaclava so I switched to just wearing a balaclava if it was below freezing.

• Heart 3