Is someone sending me a message?

dinneR

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

@denniS am I reading your post right? Skin ski’s?  What’s a skin ski? 

Oh and yes do it! old gear needs to go!

Yes, There are short mohair skins on the bottom of the ski. This is your kick zone. Other Classic Cross Country skis were blank and you used kick wax to create grip. Mine were Fish scales or a roughed patch, to create your grip or kick. These skin skis are kind of new. The skin creates your grip to propel you forward. You wax the tip and the tail with glide wax so you kick and then glide.

Skins are silent or quiet and fish scales make a buzzing sound.

skins

ABST00184.jpg

fish scales

ABPM00318.jpg

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Yes, There are short mohair skins on the bottom of the ski. This is your kick zone. Other Classic Cross Country skis were blank and you used kick wax to create grip. Mine were Fish scales or a roughed patch, to create your grip or kick. These skin skis are kind of new. The skin creates your grip to propel you forward. You wax the tip and the tail with glide wax so you kick and then glide.

Skins are silent or quiet and fish scales make a buzzing sound.

skins

ABST00184.jpg

fish scales

ABPM00318.jpg

I learned something new today! Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

In my experience the Lady of the house is never wrong.

Plus the fact that she used to sell ski equipment. She knows way more than I do. This is what she emailed to me. She is never one to skimp on gear. She always buys the best stuff.

The skins are way better than the fish scales for sure. You know this from skinning uphill. They are bloody amazing.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, denniS said:

Plus the fact that she used to sell ski equipment. She knows way more than I do. This is what she emailed to me. She is never one to skimp on gear. She always buys the best stuff.

The skins are way better than the fish scales for sure. You know this from skinning uphill. They are bloody amazing.

My kitchen window view is that equipment plays an outsized role in the activity, and the more useful the equipment, the better the experience. Worrying about faulty equipment, or having to stop and sinch up, affects level of satisfaction and might deter going into new areas to ski. Really good equipment, though, and there’s an effortless feeling. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

My kitchen window view is that equipment plays an outsized role in the activity, and the more useful the equipment, the better the experience. Worrying about faulty equipment, or having to stop and sinch up, affects level of satisfaction and might deter going into new areas to ski. Really good equipment, though, and there’s an effortless feeling. 

I see what you did there. Well played teacher.

I think ski technology is so good these days, like bike tech. It makes some of these sports so enjoyable.

I enjoy skiing even if I am not great at it. I try to get out 3-4 times a week.

• Heart 2