What happened to the Florida/covid post?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

And really, really enthusiastic.  I suppose if you spend all your time resending articles about urine drinking, it starts to sound all kinds of normal after a while, as long as you are a nutcase.

...I know you won't believe me, but I try not to judge sanity any more. I've done so much crazy shit in my own time on the planet, that even when I know someone is nuts, as long as he's not dangerous to me, I just nod and smile.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I know you won't believe me, but I try not to judge sanity any more. I've done so much crazy shit in my own time on the planet, that even when I know someone is nuts, as long as he's not dangerous to me, I just nod and smile.

So, what does it taste like?

...did you know that back in the Olden Tymes of Medicine, physicians (or preferably you hired an assistant and outsourced it), would taste your urine to see if it tasted sweet, thus diagnosing diabetes ? No, I'm probably the only one in this thread who is old enough to remember that.  Anyway, to my point (and I do have one), if you're healthy and without some sort of UTI, your urine should be sterile when it comes out of your pee pee.

It's probably a lot safer to drink than a lot of public water fountains, The ones that get used a lot and don't get cleaned much, anyway.

Diabetes Testing: Evolving From Taste To Test

Diabetes was first identified as early as 1500 BC, and in 600 BC physicians recorded that ants were attracted to sugar in patients’ urine. During the Middle Ages doctors used uroscopy - a practice where they studied urine to diagnose medical conditions. They consulted intricately designed urine flavor charts that described the sight, smell and taste of urine. The one disease that they diagnosed correctly was diabetes because of the sweet taste of a patient’s urine.

In 1674, an English doctor named Thomas Willis described diabetic urine as “wonderfully sweet as if it were imbued with honey or sugar.”  The first clinical test for sugar in urine was developed in 1841 by Karl Trommer, which involved subjecting a urine sample to acid hydrolysis.

38 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I saw that guy, too, really level-headed.  Made me wonder how one starts drinking their own urine, is it in coffee or tea?

https://gearjunkie.com/biking/arrowhead-135-race-2014

Puzak nearly became one of the stats with just a couple miles to the end. His water was gone, he could barely move.

But he had to pee.

He put some snow in a water bottle, unzipped and urinated inside. The slosh melted and made some liquid, then Puzak drank it. “It saved me,” he said.

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...did you know that back in the Olden Tymes of Medicine, physicians (or preferably you hired an assistant and outsourced it), would taste your urine to see if it tasted sweet, thus diagnosing diabetes ? No, I'm probably the only one in this thread who is old enough to remember that.  Anyway, to my point (and I do have one), if you're healthy and without some sort of UTI, your urine should be sterile when it comes out of your pee pee.

It's probably a lot safer to drink than a lot of public water fountains, The ones that get used a lot and don't get cleaned much, anyway.

Diabetes Testing: Evolving From Taste To Test

The direct descendant of this practice can be found in the National Wastewater Surveillance system that tracks Covid.

National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) – a new public health tool to understand COVID-19 spread in a community | CDC

They no longer hire people to directly taste your pee, but they do diagnose the prevalence of various disease by testing.   UCONN has a system in place where they are able to test and identify the presence of too much disease in the waste from each individual dorm.  This helps them in determining if a particular portion of the campus population needs to be locked down or not.

Obviously there is always someone around looking to stir up shit.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This one will go poof soon too.

Before it does, I just want to add that I really like the give and take of the commentary here in the Cafe. I’ve never reported a thread, or a person. It’s truly a good spirited place. 

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

That's just a bit out of context as it was the end of a thread about tracking covid via wastwater.

But it was a funny.

Creative use of "out of context" is what makes the world go around and what also was a key characteristic in the OP thread that spawned this second thread.

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It was there and was being mostly fine, what happened?

Florida isn't that much different from the average any more outside of political stuff that is not meant for this forum.

Florida is among the higher percentage vaccinated states (darker = higher):

image.thumb.png.a8b67d68253571e67d72a8c734d0efdf.png

The Mayo Clinic's "Hot Spot" for total case rates doesn't show any cold spots anymore, though some very-high vaccination rate states like Maryland and Oregon are a little lower than avg. but still high (black = 17,500 cases/100,000 population or more, other colors less):

image.thumb.png.1df33c0e20424ec31f558822dff58d9a.png

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Florida isn't that much different from the average any more outside of political stuff that is not meant for this forum.

The Mayo Clinic's "Hot Spot" for total case rates doesn't show any cold spots anymore, though some very-high vaccination rate states like Maryland and Oregon are a little lower than avg. but still high (black = 17,500 cases/100,000 population or more, other colors less):

Obviously vaccination rates don't tell the whole story.  Believing one is immune because of a vaccine and that one no longer has to be careful around others is a recipe for disaster.

But I don't care.  I'm going to a crowded restaurant tonight and a family gathering tomorrow is the stuff of bad dreams.

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks, Mick.  Very happy to be in my state.  We have a very high percentage of people that have chosen vax.