Dang E-Bikes

Mr. Beanz

Yes there are some responsibilities but too many that seem to go straight from cruising along sandy trails at 4 MPH to trails and roads with a motor to higher speeds without any handling skills, etiquette, or brains.

Never had a roadie do this to me before. 

This past weekend,  I was heading North on PCH. Doing 18 or so, got to the peir area with crowded sidewalks, people along the edges so I slowed down a bit.  Crowded area so you never know if someone will step off. Plenty of cars so not many wanting to cross in this section. 

I am approaching a crowded intersection with a wall of people so it creates a blind corner.  Again,  you never know if someone will step off. But having the green light,  I continue on but about 13 mph and a bit away from the curb knowing traffic is a bit far enough behind me,  that it's safe. 

As I approach the blind corner,  thank goodness I was far enough away to avoid the dope coming around the corner.  He's doing about 20, zooming around the corner from my right,  wrong side of the street,  into my lane heading the wrong direction just as he was on the street perpendicular to mine, around the blind turn.

He heads straight at me looking to his right as if he's going to cut across PCH to the shore side. I see him so I shout, "HEY!!". He sees me then veers left, then right then left again with a puzzled look on his face. I was able to slow way down, maybe 4 MPH as he zoomed by without slowing.  I was stunned so I couldn't say much more at that second. 

But then, his wife, I'm guessing comes around the same blind corner,   again against traffic in both bike lanes, my street and perpendicular at about the same speed maybe 5 seconds behind.  Good thing I was already near a stop avoiding the first dope.  

She was actually paying attention though,  to what was in front of her unlike her husband. 

I  shouted,"YOU GUYS ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE!". She says, I know,  sorry."

Wow some people have no common sense.  That's really dangerous on those big heavy fast machines.  Another guy on the bike trail. Father and son, about 8 years old. Each on their own doing about 25 MPH. 

Wow, someone really needs to check these people in some way.  Maybe a training course and a cert card to carry?

It's really getting out of hand over here.  I  saw a pack of 4 riding actual motorcycles on the trail last week. 😲

And if it meant cyclists had to take a course as well, I'd take it if it meant keeping safe.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't mind the Type 1 bikes which are pedal assist up to 20 mph. However even those people may need to know how to ride a bike and some of the rules of the MUT.

Type 2 which don't need pedal assist or Type 3 which are pedal assist up to 28 mph are a different matter. 

• Like 3

They are a menace in the beach communities.  What we also see are kids/teens on them ripping around the boardwalk &  roads.  

We used to walk Jack at the beach (between the piers at Newport Beach) and it’s especially nice this time of year but it’s just too dangerous for Jack. The local kids are swerving between people at 15-18 MPH on their ebikes.    

If I get hit I may have a broken bone but it’ll be fatal for my pup.

• Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I don't mind the Type 1 bikes which are pedal assist up to 20 mph. However even those people may need to know how to ride a bike and some of the rules of the MUT.

Type 2 which don't need pedal assist or Type 3 which are pedal assist up to 28 mph are a different matter. 

And there is zero enforcement of A vs B vs C, and to make matters worse, the CHEAPER (and therefor more popular) ebikes are generally throttle based and don't require pedaling :(

The genie is out of the bottle.  I predict sporadic and ham handed efforts to try to "fix" things but it isn't gonna happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Yes there are some responsibilities but too many that seem to go straight from cruising along sandy trails at 4 MPH to trails and roads with a motor to higher speeds without any handling skills, etiquette, or brains.

Never had a roadie do this to me before. 

This past weekend,  I was heading North on PCH. Doing 18 or so, got to the peir area with crowded sidewalks, people along the edges so I slowed down a bit.  Crowded area so you never know if someone will step off. Plenty of cars so not many wanting to cross in this section. 

I am approaching a crowded intersection with a wall of people so it creates a blind corner.  Again,  you never know if someone will step off. But having the green light,  I continue on but about 13 mph and a bit away from the curb knowing traffic is a bit far enough behind me,  that it's safe. 

As I approach the blind corner,  thank goodness I was far enough away to avoid the dope coming around the corner.  He's doing about 20, zooming around the corner from my right,  wrong side of the street,  into my lane heading the wrong direction just as he was on the street perpendicular to mine, around the blind turn.

He heads straight at me looking to his right as if he's going to cut across PCH to the shore side. I see him so I shout, "HEY!!". He sees me then veers left, then right then left again with a puzzled look on his face. I was able to slow way down, maybe 4 MPH as he zoomed by without slowing.  I was stunned so I couldn't say much more at that second. 

But then, his wife, I'm guessing comes around the same blind corner,   again against traffic in both bike lanes, my street and perpendicular at about the same speed maybe 5 seconds behind.  Good thing I was already near a stop avoiding the first dope.  

She was actually paying attention though,  to what was in front of her unlike her husband. 

I  shouted,"YOU GUYS ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE!". She says, I know,  sorry."

Wow some people have no common sense.  That's really dangerous on those big heavy fast machines.  Another guy on the bike trail. Father and son, about 8 years old. Each on their own doing about 25 MPH. 

Wow, someone really needs to check these people in some way.  Maybe a training course and a cert card to carry?

It's really getting out of hand over here.  I  saw a pack of 4 riding actual motorcycles on the trail last week. 😲

And if it meant cyclists had to take a course as well, I'd take it if it meant keeping safe.

Eventually those who make laws will lump all cyclists electric or pedal into one group and pass laws that hurt us.  This is the way.

• Like 1

In early  December 2020 a club member and I were riding a virtual route in Phoenix of the CTC Dead of Winter double century (virtual as it was not the actual route; remote route would have been more accurate, but I digress).  I designed the route from pieces of routes that we ride on a regular basis.  A little over 100 miles in we were riding thru a neighborhood in Paradise Valley and started a 1 mile uphill section, 1-2% grade.  When we turned left onto the street we were riding side by side, and I saw 2 other cyclists about 2 blocks behind us.  We were climbing about 14 - 15 mph. The road curved to the left, and my riding partner moved a bit to the right.  We hear one of the 2 cyclists behind us yell something.  He is passing both of us on the right. She moves a bit to the left and I make sure she has room to move.  I can see both of those guys are on e bikes.  

People with poor cycling skills can get into trouble a lot faster on ebikes.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

They are a menace in the beach communities.  What we also see are kids/teens on them ripping around the boardwalk &  roads.  

We used to walk Jack at the beach (between the piers at Newport Beach) and it’s especially nice this time of year but it’s just too dangerous for Jack. The local kids are swerving between people at 15-18 MPH on their ebikes.    

If I get hit I may have a broken bone but it’ll be fatal for my pup.

That is exactly where I was. Approaching Main Street in Huntington.  No way they should have been there. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And there is zero enforcement of A vs B vs C, and to make matters worse, the CHEAPER (and therefor more popular) ebikes are generally throttle based and don't require pedaling :(

The genie is out of the bottle.  I predict sporadic and ham handed efforts to try to "fix" things but it isn't gonna happen.

I met a guy few weeks back.  His ebike looked like a little moto cross bike.  But electric.  He showed me his motor.  Said regular motors are so many watts. Not sure but I think he said 300. He built his own with special suspension but a motor with far more wattage. I think he said 1500 or 2 000. 

He said he can get up to 55 MPH.  But he did say he only does that when the river is empty along the paved areas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

In early  December 2020 a club member and I were riding a virtual route in Phoenix of the CTC Dead of Winter double century (virtual as it was not the actual route; remote route would have been more accurate, but I digress).  I designed the route from pieces of routes that we ride on a regular basis.  A little over 100 miles in we were riding thru a neighborhood in Paradise Valley and started a 1 mile uphill section, 1-2% grade.  When we turned left onto the street we were riding side by side, and I saw 2 other cyclists about 2 blocks behind us.  We were climbing about 14 - 15 mph. The road curved to the left, and my riding partner moved a bit to the right.  We hear one of the 2 cyclists behind us yell something.  He is passing both of us on the right. She moves a bit to the left and I make sure she has room to move.  I can see both of those guys are on e bikes.  

People with poor cycling skills can get into trouble a lot faster on ebikes.

Exactly 💯 

• Like 1