It was a bad weekend to be a Parr8hed vehicle

Parr8hed

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Fortunately I was able to drive it out. He’s safe. Jeep’s fine. He got to return the favor for me Sunday when I hit something on the expressway and put a hole in my wheel in tires. 
0B334A26-E787-4DA7-9AE5-06A340AD3DCE.thumb.jpeg.8f984d3767448da42f7aa06b03c415ea.jpeg

6B0C1877-4EBB-493C-8B2F-85DADDCBE2D6.thumb.jpeg.e168c00b1e6dc88fb38ddcc6ec5c0163.jpeg

Wow.  Roads sound terrible.  :(

My friend accidentally drove into a pothole in the Walmart parking lot.  It destroyed his wheel.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Wow, that wheel one is scary!  

Any damage to G Man's jeep?  Black ice?

My oldest has destroyed 2 rims on his Tahoe hitting curbs.  

Packed snow.  No damage to Jeep.  He was a little shook up but not too bad.  Despite his training from his old man, he slammed on the brakes when he started to slip.  We'll work on it.

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wow.  Roads sound terrible.  :(

My friend accidentally drove into a pothole in the Walmart parking lot.  It destroyed his wheel.  

Interstate 65 South in Louisville right at the airport.  Hit something in the road.  Got tangled up in my parking brake cable, sheared off my brake caliper.  Put a hold in wheel and tire.  3100 dollars worth of damage was the original quote.  But that was 4 new tires, 2 new rotors and two new calipers.  I nixed all of that shit.  Rotors were still in good shape.  Other caliper is fine.  No need to replace all of that.  So new backing plate, new caliper.  New tire and new pads for both sides.  And new parking brake cable.  About 1200.  I can handle that.  I will be driving the 350 until my truck is fixed.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Welcome, nice. That's a real jeep, not that sissy ones they make now...which are not "jeeps" ;) 

Hoping to take it off roading some this spring (on purpose, not like Friday!)  It needs lockers, well at least a locker in the front.  But it runs strong and looks great.  It is a perfect first car for a high school kiddo.  It gets him noticed a lot!

• Heart 3

Good job Dad! I saw the ditch location and my first thought was, why doesn’t he just back it out? But then I remembered he is a lad and hasn’t learned these things. When my son was 15 I let him drive my parent’s Cherokee on the beach. He got stuck in the deep sand. I explained that he got stuck because he hesitated and stopped instead of keeping the wheels spinning slowly. I put the transfer case in 4 low and crawled out. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Hoping to take it off roading some this spring (on purpose, not like Friday!)  It needs lockers, well at least a locker in the front.  But it runs strong and looks great.  It is a perfect first car for a high school kiddo.  It gets him noticed a lot!

sheet, I'd take that over my adult vehicle :D What I like about that era is that its an off-road worthy vehicle. Fiat seemed to of made them more luxury which is horrible for that type of vehicle. Pimp out the Grand Cherokee, but the Cherokee should of been kept more rugged. BTW, the black nut that holds on the rear wiper assembly was made at my company. We called it the "fuck nut" because it was a PITA. It had 1 functional thread (maybe 1½) and a black phoshpate plating. We sold them to the jeep plant in Toledo. Line workers would strip them on the line.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-nut-hex~6502263.html

Does it have this tilt lever for the steering wheel? We made these too. P/N 3172335. Also used in the Ram, Viper, Prowler, New Yorker (but chrome plated).

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Steering Wheel Tilt ...

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

sheet, I'd take that over my adult vehicle :D What I like about that era is that its an off-road worthy vehicle. Fiat seemed to of made them more luxury which is horrible for that type of vehicle. Pimp out the Grand Cherokee, but the Cherokee should of been kept more rugged. BTW, the black nut that holds on the rear wiper assembly was made at my company. We called it the "fuck nut" because it was a PITA. It had 1 functional thread (maybe 1½) and a black phoshpate plating. We sold them to the jeep plant in Toledo. Line workers would strip them on the line.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-nut-hex~6502263.html

Does it have this tilt lever for the steering wheel? We made these too. P/N 3172335. Also used in the Ram, Viper, Prowler, New Yorker (but chrome plated).

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Steering Wheel Tilt ...

Awesome.  I will have to see if it has a tilt wheel.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Packed snow.  No damage to Jeep.  He was a little shook up but not too bad.  Despite his training from his old man, he slammed on the brakes when he started to slip.  We'll work on it.

I know so little about snow that I had no idea it could pack in a wheel like that.  I assumed something rubbed on the inside of the wheel and that I was seeing holes in the aluminum or steel.  Stupid Texans.....

21 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I know so little about snow that I had no idea it could pack in a wheel like that.  I assumed something rubbed on the inside of the wheel and that I was seeing holes in the aluminum or steel.  Stupid Texans.....

The inside of the wheel was my pickup

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Despite his training from his old man, he slammed on the brakes when he started to slip.  We'll work on it.

I had a 1977 Z28 Camaro as  my 'only' car for a few years.  Winter driving was a challenge.   The first thing I learned...  When I'd tap on the gas pedal, and the rpm on the tack would jump up a lot, then I'd depress the clutch and NEVER touch the brakes, let the car roll and regain traction in the rear.   Steer when needed... then I'd worry about what to do next.  I never ended up in the ditch.

I'm still amazed I was able to drive in the snow and not get into trouble.   Then again... dry pavement  in the summer...  that was different.   I'd do stupid shit... just to be sure I knew how to recover from the skid when needed.    Learning the kind of stuff saved me more than a few times over the years.

I've had fun with my Subaru in the winter.  steering with the gas pedal....  around a corner during a snow storm.    Yeah..   Stupid is as stupid does..   But I leaned to never panic.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I had a 1977 Z28 Camaro as  my 'only' car for a few years.  Winter driving was a challenge.   The first thing I learned...  When I'd tap on the gas pedal, and the rpm on the tack would jump up a lot, then I'd depress the clutch and NEVER touch the brakes, let the car roll and regain traction in the rear.   Steer when needed... then I'd worry about what to do next.  I never ended up in the ditch.

I'm still amazed I was able to drive in the snow and not get into trouble.   Then again... dry pavement  in the summer...  that was different.   I'd do stupid shit... just to be sure I knew how to recover from the skid when needed.    Learning the kind of stuff saved me more than a few times over the years.

I've had fun with my Subaru in the winter.  steering with the gas pedal....  around a corner during a snow storm.    Yeah..   Stupid is as stupid does..   But I leaned to never panic.  

Do folks still do snow tires in the winter up north?  My dad used to swap on a set of snow tires onto the cars - probably about now - and it sure made those old school RWD cars easier to drive in the winter.  Even a Camaro.  I will say, us kids were often used as ballast to get up our driveway.  In the station wagon, as we approached the driveway, my dad or mom would say "Okay kids, get in the back back" and that was our signal to go add our weight to the rear wheels. :)  Better than a few sand bags, I guess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Do folks still do snow tires in the winter up north?

My Subaru has a set of Michelin Crossclimate2 all season tires with the snow rating for the winter.   So that's our snow car.   A few times WoBG will mention... it feels like we are slipping?   As I use way too much gas on purpose and I don't have to steer as much.  "We aren't slipping much."  Then I ease  up a bit,  and we don't....

WoBG's Prelude gets parked in the winter when it snows. Her tires are all about traction when its warm.   The first time she drove it with the new wheels and tires... "It's like it is on rails."   Yeah... that's the point... 

The Prius gets used in the winter, seldom during a snow storm.  That only happened when I worked.   Now I can just stay home, and wait a day or two if needed.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do folks still do snow tires in the winter up north?

My wife ran mud and snow tires year round on all four wheels of her AWD CRV. I thought it was overkill but she wanted the best traction she could get. That vehicle was a beast though. One Christmas my son slid off the road at a sharp bend just before you get to my house. He was about 50 feet into the cornfield. The snow was about a foot deep. I drove my wife’s CRV down into the cornfield and hooked a chain on my sons car and drug him out like a dead dog. My son was impressed. While I was hooking up the tow chain a neighbor kid came down to ask if we wanted him to go hook up a team. I said I’ll know in a minute.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My wife ran mud and snow tires year round on all four wheels of her AWD CRV.

Before the Subaru     My wife ran 4X4 rated, mud and snow tires year round on all four wheels of her full time 4WD Land Rover Discovery 2.  She never shifted the transfer case into the low range.   I did in the mountains. 

In the snow, you could start from a stop in the middle of a blizzard, floor it and just zoom away like it was summer.   I had to tell her a LOT...  just because you can almost never get stuck,  you still need to steer and stop.   It did stop fairly good for 5000+ pounds on snow.  She never got it stuck.   She'd go and walk the dogs, every day.  A few times the roads were not plowed and they would be drifted.  It didn't matter...  she'd just drove the beast, parked in the deep snow and walked the dogs.  They were big dogs then.   Our little dogs now would get stuck in the snow.... 

• Haha 2