Coming Soon To A Change Purse Near You

Razors Edge

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I can imagine the younger generations snickering away...what coins??

It's a lovely design. Canada has had an elk design on its quarter for decades.

LOL. Couple years ago I was at a bike store and bought a pair of grips. I handed the dude (maybe in his 20s) a twenty. He said "cash?" :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

LOL. Couple years ago I was at a bike store and bought a pair of grips. I handed the dude (maybe in his 20s) a twenty. He said "cash?" :D

Is it possible he was just confirming your choice?

At the bike shop there were times when they wanted change, or pay partial on cash and partial on card.  As a cashier, we like to confirm.  I would usually say "Out of twenty?"  and I would make eye contact for a nod as I held up the twenty.  People are strange and working in retail you see all of it and hear all of it.  The last thing we want is to break the twenty and then some joker says, I gave that to you for "insert reason here" and hopefully they don't flip over one of our displays. :D  

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Is it possible he was just confirming your choice?

At the bike shop there were times when they wanted change, or pay partial on cash and partial on card.  As a cashier, we like to confirm.  I would usually say "Out of twenty?"  and I would make eye contact for a nod as I held up the twenty.  People are strange and working in retail you see all of it and hear all of it.  The last thing we want is to break the twenty and then some joker says, I gave that to you for "insert reason here" and hopefully they don't flip over one of our displays. :D  

No, his reaction was that of surprise, as in most people pay w/ plastic. I use a visa, but for small things, even dinner out, I use cash.

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I use a visa, but for small things, even dinner out, I use cash.

I love the ease and convenience of credit cards, but I carry cash in my little credit card wallet-thing.  Why? For tips and for places that require cash for smaller purchases or any place that is still cash only.  For a restaurant, I'm still usually adding a tip to the CC bill, but it is surprising how often other opportunities to tip pop up unrelated to a meal. 

Change, though??  Unless it's a new quarter for the collection, that generally goes right into the have a penny/need a penny or March of Dimes box.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

No, his reaction was that of surprise, as in most people pay w/ plastic. I use a visa, but for small things, even dinner out, I use cash.

HAHA, yeah.  That is not seen very often.  Especially so in the bike shop.  

Wanna have some real fun?  Pay for a bar with a $2 bill.  :D

• Heart 1

I have a coin jar on my dresser, for dumping change in at the end of the day.  I moved it this morning and realized I can't remember the last time I dropped a coin in there.  Probably over a year.  Thinking now, it's probably been a month since I even carried a bill of any kind with me.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:
2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m ready for that Tubman $20 bill, too. 

I was going to say this.  :D

2030 at the earliest from what I can tell.

On the plus side, a new Harriet Tubman museum opened up recently in Cape May NJ.  Pretty cool and we might get to check it out next summer when we head to Cape Henlopen in DE to camp (just across from Cape May).

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have a book of $2 bills with sequential serial numbers

Somewhere I have a couple $2 bills from the day of first issue postmarked on them.  Not sure where, but they are somewhere. :scratchhead:  Probably worth $2.25 nowadays :D

The 1976 series was first issued out to the public on April 13th, 1976. People who received first day issues went to their local post office so they can get their bills stamped with the date. The value is slightly higher for stamped bills and stamps with unique city names.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

I have a coin jar on my dresser, for dumping change in at the end of the day.  I moved it this morning and realized I can't remember the last time I dropped a coin in there.  Probably over a year.  Thinking now, it's probably been a month since I even carried a bill of any kind with me.

I have a coin purse that is loaded with bus tokens.  :D

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nice.  

Indeed.  Here's 50 brand new sequential $2 bills.  glued like a note pad. Years ago my mom's husband bought me this as a gift so I just kept it intact. Banks still might do this, I think it was a way of giving kids mad money   so they rip a bill off and use it lol .

IMG_20220111_174424708.thumb.jpg.6bf65b63a5fa4e05949ce40c5cd4a369.jpg

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, 12string said:

I have one of those large Coke bottles. I dump my change in there. No pennies, they take up too much space :D

I don't think $2 Canadian bill is in circulation anymore..for years.

We have  toonie (see polar bear in middle) and loonie coins.  I've always liked our coin and bill designs  (yes, I realize different colours. But one can  very quickly identify you are pulling out the right  bill.)  Special editions .. one year was a rabbit for 1 of the coins. I've lost track of the different designs before we all used credit card /debit payments in a big way.

Classic Canadian Uncirculated Set (2022) | The Royal Canadian Mint

image.png.946185ba34c00790020394484b419752.png

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I don't think $2 Canadian bill is in circulation anymore..for years.

We have  toonie (see polar bear in middle) and loonie coins.  I've always liked our coin and bill designs  (yes, I realize different colours. But one can  very quickly identify you are pulling out the right  bill.)  Special editions .. one year was a rabbit for 1 of the coins. I've lost track of the different designs before we all used credit card /debit payments in a big way.

Classic Canadian Uncirculated Set (2022) | The Royal Canadian Mint

image.png.946185ba34c00790020394484b419752.png

Personally, I like your gold $50.  That is my favorite.  :)

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Two coins out of so many.  It is nice to see more women coins.  I forgot about the Anthony coin.  I remembered the Sacagawea one, cause I was doing some coin flipping business around that time.  2008 was lucrative. 

I got tons of those.  Back in the day, I'd buy a $5 Metro card, and use a $10 bill. Out would shoot a bunch of Sacagawea's $1 coins.  Of course, months later, need a Metro card, but those coins are back in the coin jar, so her come MORE of those darn things.  Like Tribbles.  

I don't use coins - or bills - much anymore.  I have cash in my wallet, mostly in case there are several of us in a restaurant and I pay my share to the person paying with a credit card.

I keep a quarter in one of my car's trays in case I need a shopping cart at Aldi: you have to put a quarter in a slot on the cart to get it unhooked from the other carts, then plug your cart back in when you are done and get someone else's wet, snot-covered quarter in return. Normally, I use my own shopping bag or the folding cart I've kept in my car since living in a 3rd floor apartment.

My nephew, when about 9, would ask me if he could have that quarter.  Now, at 13, it's not worth bothering about for him.