All this vegan talk ...

Dirtyhip

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Lamb is good in meatballs, too.

The recipe I am making actually calls for lamb.  Lamb cost is a bit steep for tonight.  I do love a good lamb chop.  I may get some for a meal this year.  It isn't my usual repertoire.

It is this recipe and I figured out that turkey does a decent vegan sub here. 

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mini-lamb-meatballs

Try it.  It is good.  You gotta like cilantro though.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would think Spring.  @sheep_herder might know.

Actually it is available year around in some locations. We sell most of ours as feeders, rather than fat lambs. Many lambs are sold from the large bands in autumn each year. There is also a lot of imported lamb available in some markets and cafes. We don't buy lamb when eating out unless it is US raised. Yes, we ask. It is hard to find in the grocery stores in our area. 

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Actually it is available year around in some locations. We sell most of ours as feeders, rather than fat lambs. Many lambs are sold from the large bands in autumn each year. There is also a lot of imported lamb available in some markets and cafes. We don't buy lamb when eating out unless it is US raised. Yes, we ask. It is hard to find in the grocery stores in our area. 

Wise people ask about their food origins.  :D

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

You and I and Wally are all big fans of “I find I function best under a lack of accountability”. :D

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.”

“The most sacred thing I do is care and provide for my workers, my family. I give them money. I give them food. Not directly, but through the money.”

:)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

We don't buy lamb when eating out unless it is US raised. Yes, we ask. It is hard to find in the grocery stores in our area. 

All lamb at our commercial grocers are all from Australia. The only way to get local (US at least) is getting it halal. Two local Mediterranean markets carry it and we'll usually buy a leg and some chops twice a year. The leg meat is perfect for kofte and iskender. The chops we grill.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, goldendesign said:

All lamb at our commercial grocers are all from Australia. The only way to get local (US at least) is getting it halal. Two local Mediterranean markets carry it and we'll usually buy a leg and some chops twice a year. The leg meat is perfect for kofte and iskender. The chops we grill.

When we were in New Zealand, there were a lot of sheep. And lamb was popular. I'd buy (and trust) lamb from NZ.  Or Australia.  I wonder where else it comes from?  Does seem wild getting meat from that far though, especially when we clearly raise it in the US as well.

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When we were in New Zealand, there were a lot of sheep. And lamb was popular. I'd buy (and trust) lamb from NZ.  Or Australia.  I wonder where else it comes from?  Does seem wild getting meat from that far though, especially when we clearly raise it in the US as well.

We have local lamb at one of our grocery stores.  It is a small regional chain and they often source locally for food.  

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

We have local lamb at one of our grocery stores.  It is a small regional chain and they often source locally for food.  

I wonder at sheep and lamb "range" options.  Florida may be too hot, so there would never be any local lamb there.  Farms here sometimes have sheep, but cows are way more common.  

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder at sheep and lamb "range" options.  Florida may be too hot, so there would never be any local lamb there.  Farms here sometimes have sheep, but cows are way more common.  

This is another excellent @sheep_herder question.  I believe that cows are just more lucrative.  Most people know beef, but lamb might be strange to them.  :dontknow:

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is another excellent @sheep_herder question.  I believe that cows are just more lucrative.  Most people know beef, but lamb might be strange to them.  :dontknow:

Different breeds of sheep do well in the hotter environments. Some people simply do not like sheep, and it is much easier to fence for cattle compared to sheep. Predator losses are generally much greater for sheep compared to cattle. Old timers in our area will tell you their sheep operations paid for their cattle operations. You will normally find lamb or mutton for sale where there are high concentrations of ethnic markets. Some people simply do not like the taste of lamb, and some of this is a carry over from their military days (WWII). 

We once sold lamb at a local store. The owner raised cattle and wondered how well it would sell. It sold very well, but there was still a bias toward certain cuts. Too bad a lamb carcass is not all chops and legs.

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Different breeds of sheep do well in the hotter environments. Some people simply do not like sheep, and it is much easier to fence for cattle compared to sheep. Predator losses are generally much greater for sheep compared to cattle. Old timers in our area will tell you their sheep operations paid for their cattle operations. You will normally find lamb or mutton for sale where there are high concentrations of ethnic markets. Some people simply do not like the taste of lamb, and some of this is a carry over from their military days (WWII). 

We once sold lamb at a local store. The owner raised cattle and wondered how well it would sell. It sold very well, but there was still a bias toward certain cuts. Too bad a lamb carcass is not all chops and legs.

Lamb does have a distinct taste   I love it.  My upbringing had a ton of wild game, so I am used to the gamey flavor.

39 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Goats are hard to fence too.  They tear it all up.  They climb.