Whatcha Reading this new year?

petitepedal

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I am still working on the romantic fiction by Shootie's niece..:whistle:

A friend of mine is doing a 52 book reading challenge..So it has me thinking about my next read.

I'm still rereading OMW #2 - Ghost Brigades by Scalzi, but will probably wrap it up this week.

My wife is rolling through all of Elizabeth Strout's books.  From her joy at these books, I'd recommend them to anyone needing a new author to try out.

I'm reading a random pick from the library shelf, titled Outcasts of Order by L.E. Modesitt Jr. It's kind of a fantasy land story and It is taking me a while to get a grasp on what is happening, but only a few chapters in so I will stick with it for now.

Looks like it is a later book in a long running series, so I might have been better to come into the story at the beginning.

Outcasts of order.jpg

This one was the best of the bunch.  I particularly liked how it followed up with the peoples' lives well after the war:

image.png.a593353a52cc8da3b8b2dd658dedf4e3.png

This one ran a close second - about Mary Ann Bickerdyke.  She did much more than Clara Barton during the Civil War, only not so famously.  The cover says what General Sherman thought of her.

image.png.66a3552848898b9e22fd3a66234a0719.png

One of the better written of its kind, I thought, particularly this insight on post war life:

"Wealth and influence had lost all significance.  In the dark corners of my mind, the only power under God that meant anything to me came out of the bore of a .30-06 - or if you were close enough, a .45."  The kind of stark statement not often heard from generation that came back from war and said so little.

image.png.43ce8b49513f7b5c20dc809d3fcd1385.png

A slightly different view of Grant with more weight on times after the Civil War.  A little on the lighter side - an easy read.

image.png.3fca6332a100f898273a92c1a3fab116.png

Since accurate records weren't kept, estimates of the prisoners of war that died aboard the Ghost Ship run as high a 14,000 - compared to an estimated 7,000 soldiers that died in action.

image.png.557b6cad66ffef99b862f6b116b3aa9c.png

A view from the opposite side, for some perspective.  I think it was pretty well sanitized to be more palatable for American readers.  Remarks here and there give some insight as to how the Japanese military really ran.

image.png.68257df47d52e09a87bc3440287f9a05.png

Setting up winter camp for thousands of soldiers is a lot more difficult than rolling into your local KOA...

image.png.506705ffb63a303b59151c1cb8301683.png

A biography about a totally obscure but significant person in the Revolution, especially since America didn't have any trained combat engineers.  A little dry, but it was after all a biography of an engineer.

image.png.7104c1b189657d41c84c549632a9ebd3.png

How three young ladies became active members of the French Resistance and what difference they made - while many others ducked their heads - with the resources they had.

image.png.56d79cada8f3e5be13e65f4934f2747f.png