The Interwebs are the greatest misinformation source in modern history

Dirtyhip

Yep, the internet will be the downfall of modern civilization.  It is very hard to trust anything you read.  Everyone is suddenly an arm chair expert on everything.   I try to use common sense, but it is hard.

I had a parent of a scout tell me that my requiring a negative covid test to attend campouts, that I was forcing him to get cancer from the sterile swab!   Insane the lenghts people will go to to support their views.  And the internet makes it easy to support almost any stance, no mater how insane it is.

I mean there are people out there that think the Dallas Cowboys will win the Superbowl for crying out loud.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Yep, the internet will be the downfall of modern civilization.  It is very hard to trust anything you read.  Everyone is suddenly an arm chair expert on everything.   I try to use common sense, but it is hard.

I had a parent of a scout tell me that my requiring a negative covid test to attend campouts, that I was forcing him to get cancer from the sterile swab!   Insane the lenghts people will go to to support their views.  And the internet makes it easy to support almost any stance, no mater how insane it is.

I mean there are people out there that think the Dallas Cowboys will win the Superbowl for crying out loud.

Nailed it.  Especially so, about the Coyboys.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Similar but a bit different. I noticed at meetings and when reviewing manuscripts young scientists were not citing much older literature, even when it would have been appropriate. Thus there was reinvention of the wheel and wasted monies on some projects. I heard from students that some profs were requiring all recent literature on student's research papers. It made the papers easier to grade, but cheated the students of a learning tool. Really glad I am not that involved any more. One can only sit on their hands and hold their tongue for so long.:whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

The pure efficiency of making dumb people dumber is hard to discount.  They really don't have to work as hard finding others to believe and share in each other's complete bullshit.  Use the vaccination as an example.  You'd really have to be a special kind of scared or stupid not to get vaccinated, so you just see nothing but memes about how this was too rushed and is magnetizing people, making you sterile, implanting nanochips in you, or the other dumber than shit tactic of saying "They are trying to control you and take your freedoms and turn you into baby pedophiles/cannibals OR WORSE (whatever that could possibly be, only a nutter could know).  What fucking crackpots, but hey, if all these other idiots believe in horseshit, horseshit must be true!  No, no, let's take absolutely ZERO precautions and get pissy about masks and selfishly give no fucks about collateral damage, hell, "nobody gave a shit about grandma and grandpa, anyway, they should have stayed at home".

Those types are truly reprehensible, and are hellbound if such a place exists.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The pure efficiency of making dumb people dumber is hard to discount.  They really don't have to work as hard finding others to believe and share in each other's complete bullshit.  Use the vaccination as an example.  You'd really have to be a special kind of scared or stupid not to get vaccinated, so you just see nothing but memes about how this was too rushed and is magnetizing people, making you sterile, implanting nanochips in you, or the other dumber than shit tactic of saying "They are trying to control you and take your freedoms and turn you into baby pedophiles/cannibals OR WORSE (whatever that could possibly be, only a nutter could know).  What fucking crackpots, but hey, if all these other idiots believe in horseshit, horseshit must be true!  No, no, let's take absolutely ZERO precautions and get pissy about masks and selfishly give no fucks about collateral damage, hell, "nobody gave a shit about grandma and grandpa, anyway, they should have stayed at home".

scared yes, but I'm not stupid, Please don't call me stupid.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

That person I told you about said vehemtly to me "I have a real problem with these ads that say "Do it for Grandma."  and "The only people that have serious problems are those with co-morbitities."  Her husband is obese.  :mellow:

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

That person I told you about said vehemtly to me "I have a real problem with these ads that say "Do it for Grandma."  and "The only people that have serious problems are those with co-morbitities."  Her husband is obese.  :mellow:

The selfishness and callousness of a lot of these people is astounding, they refuse to think of society in any way at any time, not even thinking about their family or close relatives.  A very smart person told me not long ago that "Jesus would have gotten vaccinated", plus the pope, of all people, god's supposed representative on earth, said that our obligation is to get vaccinated.  I only bring this up because so many in the god squad claim to uphold Christian principles when they clearly do no such thing.

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The selfishness and callousness of a lot of these people is astounding, they refuse to think of society in any way at any time, not even thinking about their family or close relatives.  A very smart person told me not long ago that "Jesus would have gotten vaccinated", plus the pope, of all people, god's supposed representative on earth, said that our obligation is to get vaccinated.  I only bring this up because so many in the god squad claim to uphold Christian principles when they clearly do no such thing.

Interesting.

The comments from some are so selfish.  That gal was talking to a person with co-morbidity and spewing so many misconceptions.  <groan>  Oh, well.  She showed her true self.   No longer in my circle!

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Like most good things it turns to shit quick. I'm ashamed having been part of the facebook crowd. That's one site that needs to shut down IMO. And the others, but I've never been on anything else.

I tried it for a couple of years, happier not going on that site.  Every few months I will, and I am freshly reminded why I chose to leave it mostly alone.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I tried it for a couple of years, happier not going on that site.  Every few months I will, and I am freshly reminded why I chose to leave it mostly alone.

With a few exceptions, my FB folks are a civilized and fun group - mostly family photos.  I culled a few of the folks who always posted political stuff, and am down to one cousin who puts some dopey stuff out, but I like him enough to ignore the nonsense.  

But, I do only go there once a month or so, on my phone, so I see a lot less than I might if I went every day.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

With a few exceptions, my FB folks are a civilized and fun group - mostly family photos.  I culled a few of the folks who always posted political stuff, and am down to one cousin who puts some dopey stuff out, but I like him enough to ignore the nonsense.  

Mostly the same.  I changed settings for some of the people who posted mostly toxic stuff so I wouldn't see their posts, but I am not so happy having a monoculture or an echo chamber, either.  I have friends with some very messed up belief systems that I quite like to hang out with, and they think the same of me.  We always have fun!

Anyway, once every few months is plenty.

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

But it is being wielded with a political bent. 

Is the irritation of misinformation being wielded with a political bent also wielded with a political bent? :dontknow:

That seems to be the issue we run into.  "Dave is making up BS to support his politics."  vs "It's political to point out that Dave is making up BS to support his politics." :(

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is the irritation of misinformation being wielded with a political bent also wielded with a political bent? :dontknow:

That seems to be the issue we run into.  "Dave is making up BS to support his politics."  vs "It's political to point out that Dave is making up BS to support his politics." :(

The funny thing is that there is little to no political sentiment in this entire post, not sure why anyone would claim otherwise unless the want to slant it so they can discount it to feel better about their bad choices..

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I am not vaxxed. I don’t start threads here about my disagreement with the whole thing. I don’t call anyone names. I don’t sling mud around. But If I did, the thread would get shut down. 

I’ve read several threads here about this topic.  Many comments are just plain ugly. 

So be it. 

The internet givith and the internet taketh away.  There is a wealth of knowledge out there that we couldn't lay hands on before.  That alone makes the internet one of the most valuable things the world has.  Unfortunately there is also a lot of crap information pretending to be the good stuff.  It's not the fault of the internet though.  It's the fault of the people who post it and in some cases the folks who read it and don't do their due diligence in double checking what they are reading.

Newspapers were the same back in the day.  There was a world of difference between the New York Times and the Daily Star and it wasn't just the location that they were sold to the customer.

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But, I do only go there once a month or so, on my phone, so I see a lot less than I might if I went every day.

I have used the filtering as well.  Mine is mostly funny animal stuff.  Some family, some friend stuff.  

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The internet givith and the internet taketh away.  There is a wealth of knowledge out there that we couldn't lay hands on before.  That alone makes the internet one of the most valuable things the world has.  Unfortunately there is also a lot of crap information pretending to be the good stuff.  It's not the fault of the internet though.  It's the fault of the people who post it and in some cases the folks who read it and don't do their due diligence in double checking what they are reading.

Newspapers were the same back in the day.  There was a world of difference between the New York Times and the Daily Star and it wasn't just the location that they were sold to the customer.

Bernstein was talking about his latest book, and it seems pretty interesting for sure. He pointed to being lucky to find a newsroom early on that was making an effort to "do it right".  

41dtPSdAyBL.jpg

24 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Unless people are against planting trees, nature, personal sports activities, cooking topics, or funny things like Spinal Tap, my feed is all fun, happy and benign.  I don't want to argue with people.  

My FB feed seems to get filled with ads.... and much of it is weird stuff.