Greek Mythology

Dirtyhip

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The Romans had some good ones, too, hell everyone had them.  Greek and Roman mythology were the best and most fun, though.

Plenty of fun religious stuff through the ages.  Gods and goddesses remain - even to this day - great stuff to write about.  Fantasy and even sci fi will usually have that religious component.  Old gods, new gods, etc..  I never got into Neil Gaiman's stuff, but folks really like some of it like the American Gods book and subsequent TV show.

But, yeah, Roman and Greek and Norse religious stuff was likely great when it was believed, and holds up well centuries later. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Early fairy tales?  I particularly like the Medusa story. 

Jason and the Argonauts is one excellent movie.  I gotta watch that again.

I've always been a big fan of Greek Mythology.

In 1996, a companion and I did an Aegean Odyssey cruise that was 3 days in Athens, a 7-day cruise, and 3 days in Istanbul.

I stood in the bedroom of King Agamemnon at Mycenae - the leader of the Greeks in the Trojan War, according to Homer's Iliad. I also had my companion take a picture of me standing against a wall at Troy, in present day Turkey, and she, a history major, instantly understood why, "The angle of Troy's wall!"

To me, it was a thrill!

In the Iliad, Homer wrote, "Three times brave Patroclus tried to scale the angle of Troy's wall and three times the god Apollo batted him back down."

The area is an earthquake zone, so the city walls were built at a significant angle, thicker at the bottom than the top.  When the ruins were excavated, many of the descriptions of Troy in the Iliad were found to be true - indicating something major did happen there.

We also visited the ruins of Knossos, the ancient capital of Crete, where the Labyrinth of the Minotaur was in Greek Mythology - the complexity of the palace area made you understand the inspiration for the Labyrinth.

We visited several islands, many of which had to do with Greek Mythology and I could go on and on about the possible ruins of Atlantis on Santorini, following the sea-route of Jason and the Argonauts through the Dardanelles to the Black Sea, seeing Mikonos where Theseus stopped to ask for help from the gods on his way to slaying the Minotaur and where Hercules killed the Giants of Olympus, Delos where Apollo was born - now occupied by huge numbers of cats and birds, etc. etc.

• Heart 1

I always tell the Greek story of Icarus to young managers. He wanted to fly & made wings of wax & feathers.  He flew too close to the sun, his wings melted & Icarus fell into the sea & died.

There are numerous lessons in the story of Icarus but the one thing I share to up & coming managers is wanting to climb  the company ladder is natural but remember the closer you get to the sun the hotter it is.  So prepare yourself for the heat. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I always tell the Greek story of Icarus to young managers. He wanted to fly & made wings of wax & feathers.  He flew too close to the sun, his wings melted & Icarus fell into the sea & died.

There are numerous lessons in the story of Icarus but the one thing I share to up & coming managers is wanting to climb  the company ladder is natural but remember the closer you get to the sun the hotter it is.  So prepare yourself for the heat. 

This is why Wally and Milton and I stayed in the basement. :D

Just now, Randomguy said:

I find it much more plausible than the religions circulating today, certainly.

Scientology has its appeal!  Mormonism isn't that old, but has some cool stuff.  Likewise many of the neat that we seem to snuff out periodically like the Branch Davidians.

Always remember today's religions were yesteryear's cults.