Speaking about not trusting the news

MickinMD

NBC reported yesterday:

"Most reported Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. are still from the delta variant, not omicron, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Wednesday."

This is NOT what she said and is a great example of the media taking what science says is a possibility and reporting it as a fact.  The article goes on:

"Walensky ... said she expects most of those fatalities are still lagging deaths from the delta variant wave...

Walenksy said during the briefing. "Given the sheer number of cases, we may see deaths from omicron, but I suspect the deaths we're seeing now are still from delta.""

I was wondering why we never see a breakdown on how many deaths in the USA are due to each variant, as is reported in the UK.

The reason is we don't know!  In the UK, the variant is I.D.'d in 13% of all cases vs 3.8% in the USA.

Walensky is clearly "suspecting" that the same almost-all-deaths-from-Delta in the UK is what's going on in the USA.

If that's the case, imagine what the death rate would be in the USA is no vaccine was available!

• Whatever 1

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

NBC reported yesterday:

"Most reported Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. are still from the delta variant, not omicron, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Wednesday."

This is NOT what she said and is a great example of the media taking what science says is a possibility and reporting it as a fact.  The article goes on:

"Walensky ... said she expects most of those fatalities are still lagging deaths from the delta variant wave...

Walenksy said during the briefing. "Given the sheer number of cases, we may see deaths from omicron, but I suspect the deaths we're seeing now are still from delta.""

I was wondering why we never see a breakdown on how many deaths in the USA are due to each variant, as is reported in the UK.

The reason is we don't know!  In the UK, the variant is I.D.'d in 13% of all cases vs 3.8% in the USA.

Walensky is clearly "suspecting" that the same almost-all-deaths-from-Delta in the UK is what's going on in the USA.

If that's the case, imagine what the death rate would be in the USA is no vaccine was available!

I've been wondering all along about delta too in our areas too. 

11 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The reason is we don't know! 

...but she was willing to pretty clearly state "I suspect the deaths that we are seeing now are still from delta".  So, it sort of comes back to you and what you want different from a news story with her actual answer.  Just a transcription of the words? Or some level of "gist" and then the opportunity to watch and learn more?

Honestly, if that's a worry about "trust" in the news, this is a super nitpicky one. The video with her own words are in the article.  As COVID lies, misinformation, & disinformation goes, this is a big zero on the meter.

• Heart 1

I blame misinformation and misgudance for this anti vax and anti mask stuff. 

Here, a friend spent time in the hospital recently,  He and his family were vocally anti anti.  He spent 3 weeks in the hospital's covid unit and it almost killed him. His wife and mother were not as lucky as he was.  I am numb. 

This anti vax stuff and not listening to science is very sad.  It can cost your life to listen to the wrong source.  

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I blame misinformation and misgudance for this anti vax and anti mask stuff. 

But the posted OP article is not part of the misinformation or misguidance. It may be poorly phrased to some, but the gist is that most COVID deaths we're seeing now are likely still tied to the delta variant while the deaths from omicron seems to still be lagging the surge in omicron infections.  Time will tell, but at the moment, that's her estimation.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But the posted OP article is not part of the misinformation or misguidance. It may be poorly phrased to some, but the gist is that most COVID deaths we're seeing now are likely still tied to the delta variant while the deaths from omicron seems to still be lagging the surge in omicron infections.  Time will tell, but at the moment, that's her estimation.

I am not saying that the NBC article is wrong or right.  

He was talking about covid and deaths, and this was on my mind.  

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am not saying that the NBC article is wrong or right.  

He was talking about covid and deaths, and this was on my mind.  

And it is on all our minds (hopefully), but that's what irks me is a relatively insignificant thing like the article is then used as a wedge to support the lies, misinformation, and disinformation side in an "see, the media is lying, fabricating, exaggerating, etc.." sort of thing.  IOW "the media" or "the news" is some large single entity acting is some way, when it is clear - time and again - that there are serious and honest brokers in the news industry, and there are divisive and dishonest ones.  Where does NBC fall - with a posting that includes the source information in the video clip - is up to everyone's own interpretation, but a I'd give this one a 0 out of a 0-5 Pinocchio test.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The news is.  It may not be what you like and you may want to hide from the world, but much of which happens elsewhere has a direct impact on our lives.  If you just want a happy place, this may not be the part of the galaxy for you.

Meh. It’s true but my actions or lack of actions regarding watching the news have made no difference in the world. It keeps going whether I listen to the noise or not. 

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Does it?  The butterfly effect.

How will you ever know what effect you had on the world?

I read the online news from time to time (local) and I do watch local news. I’m not totally out of it. Other than that, I have very little control on what happens.  I still vote… particularly the issues… but unfortunately in my state it matters very little. It’s a Blue state and always will be. So if I vote blue it was going that way anyway. If I vote Red, it’s not going that way anyway. But I vote. And yes, the world keeps on going whether I’m in tune with it or not. I just try to make a difference in the people’s life I come in direct contact with. WFM.