Daily News

Square Wheels

I suspect very few read an actual newspaper, so online is fine.  I have been in a news vacuum for at least 5 years.  It has helped my mood.

Since I will be going on job interviews, I think it might help if I was at least aware of what's going on in the world.

Do you read news on a regular basis?  If yes, from where?

The wife subscribes to NYT.  

I'm looking for something that gives a somewhat unbiased view of current events.  I feel unbiases isn't possible

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm looking for something that gives a somewhat unbiased view of current events.  I feel unbiases isn't possible

Most news will angry up the blood on all kinds of levels.  I would read local blogs if I were you, that would be way more topical.

If you just gotta read the news, the most unbiased overall will be Reuters or Associated Press, and don't laugh, but Al Jezeera is a remarkably unbiased source for world news.

• Heart 1

If you look at enough headlines, you're going to see patterns. You'll also see what sources just mimic others. If you want quality reporting, you have to subscribe to quality content. You can't get good news from just one source. It's never been possible. At the least, you are at the mercy of whoever selects the day's stories to report.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I suspect very few read an actual newspaper, so online is fine.  I have been in a news vacuum for at least 5 years.  It has helped my mood.

Since I will be going on job interviews, I think it might help if I was at least aware of what's going on in the world.

I do online NBC every morning because they have my local news. There is a lot of special interest stuff there that I gloss over quickly.   The online BBC isn't bad for low bias world news.  I suppose a subscription to one of the big Newspapers might be interesting but don't be surprised if you think them a bit biased to the left.  

I hear the Washington Examiner isn't bad.  :facepalm:

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Most news will angry up the blood on all kinds of levels.  I would read local blogs if I were you, that would be way more topical.

If you just gotta read the news, the most unbiased overall will be Reuters or Associated Press, and don't laugh, but Al Jezeera is a remarkably unbiased source for world news.

I like Al Jezeera. Just tell me what is happening and not your opinion of it.

• Heart 3

Just now, Square Wheels said:

My organization and I decided I was no longer a good fit.

One has to assume that they wanted to push a round hole and with you being a square guy I could see that being a parting of the ways.  Good luck and best wishes.  You are a quality guy and the jobs should be lining up quickly.

• Heart 3

I also avoid most news coverage to help keep my mood and mental state better.  I do tend to read the headlines from the Wall Street Journal, and the sports/lifestyle sections.  I'll also look at some of the headlines and sports coverage from USA Today.  For work related stuff, the WSJ has good articles on current business topics.

Check your local library to see if they give you online access to any papers.  Mine does, but it's not necessarily the ones I want.  Some people I know can get online free access to the NY Times and a number of other major papers just through their library membership (you just use your library credentials to log on, you don't have to be at the library) .  I can get access to ProQuest database through my alumni organization.  That lets me skim articles from most major periodicals, although they're not set up in a user friendly format that the periodicals use on their own websites. 

In the event of any major world events, I'll watch tv coverage switching among the major cable news networks depending on what particular coverage they have on air at the moment.

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

There were many great things about my job, and some not so great.  I need to heal and recover from the bad.  I used to be so confident to the point of being cocky, I lost that and felt beaten.  I can't bring that attitude to a new organization.  <read my agreement - needed to retract>

I will land on my feet; I just need a week or two to reset before I start looking.  I have the best wife ever; she'll always stand by me and help.

Sorry, Cliff.  Losing a position is difficult no matter the cause.  Take a little "me" time then get back on that horse.  You will find a new organization will reinvigorate you. 

Edited by Square Wheels
Needed to retract info
  • Heart 3

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I just need a week or two to reset before I start looking. 

I would recommend against that, it will make you feel valued and happy when others show interest and you feel like you have options.  Get your CV ready and get it out there at least a little bit, today.   You don't have to start a new job asap, but it will feel good when others cue up to talk to you.

Be prepared for a bit of ageism out there, too.  It is real, but the timing seems decent if the media is accurately portraying hiring conditions at the moment.

I question whether being news informed is preferable to your very true, very real lived experience of news fast? In an interview, an awareness of good reasons to forego the daily news might set you apart from other candidates for the position, especially if it makes you a stronger person. 
But if you’re hungry for headlines, Reuters news app is all you need. And you can tailor your preferences for which area you see first: economy, health, education, national, global, etc. 

10 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I question whether being news informed is preferable to your very true, very real lived experience of news fast? In an interview, an awareness of good reasons to forego the daily news might set you apart from other candidates for the position, especially if it makes you a stronger person. 
But if you’re hungry for headlines, Reuters news app is all you need. And you can tailor your preferences for which area you see first: economy, health, education, national, global, etc. 

These are interesting points. I select a headline service because I want to judge public opinion. Every now and then I may dial in on something. I chase facts on my own and if I don't find them, I make them up. ;)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, donkpow said:

These are interesting points. I select a headline service because I want to judge public opinion. Every now and then I may dial in on something. I chase facts on my own and if I don't find them, I make them up. ;)

Which is an excellent reason to fast from daily news… 

Maybe read a few books? From what the career counselors told my students, depth of interest is more attractive to potential employers than a lot of shallow experiences. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Which is an excellent reason to fast from daily news… 

Maybe read a few books? From what the career counselors told my students, depth of interest is more attractive to potential employers than a lot of shallow experiences. 

One wouldn't want to do it to the exclusion of self enrichment. Kids are going to follow the trap. When you start looking at the targeted demographics for these things, ..... follow the money.

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

From what the career counselors told my students, depth of interest is more attractive to potential employers than a lot of shallow experiences. 

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, mention you ride a bike to people.  Their eyes glaze over and/or they assume you are insane.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I do online NBC every morning because they have my local news. There is a lot of special interest stuff there that I gloss over quickly.   The online BBC isn't bad for low bias world news.  I suppose a subscription to one of the big Newspapers might be interesting but don't be surprised if you think them a bit biased to the left.  

I hear the Washington Examiner isn't bad.  :facepalm:

WE  has a very slight conservative outlook, but still fine journalism. 

<read my agreement - needed to retract>

Dear Mr. Wheels Square,

I am of the Manager President Vice being of the Lagos Nigerian Searching Job and Investment Incorporation.  To you can finding with us the job of the best you want, and of the time same doing investment of the funds dollars of the many severance to grow of you.  In of to begin the search of the job, send information personal - and place to it we on confidential servers of own that we have - and of the soon time list to transmit into your email the jobs and jobs find we.  For you.  As service to the extra none being cost also that we provide, invest of the severance dollar come to you we turn into multiplies of dollars.  Many times, secure and guarantee to offer is come automatically with transmit the funding to us, being transactions on also confidential server same.

Thank you of attention of this message being,

John Smith

Manager President Vice

Edited by Square Wheels
Needed to retract info
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

WE  has a very slight conservative outlook, but still fine journalism. 

Slight?  Hahahahahahaha! 

Oh shit, can't stop laughing <wipes tear from eye>

7 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Considering NPR center is laughable. 

The news seems fairly center, but the opinion pieces are not at all.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Slight?  Hahahahahahaha! 

Oh shit, can't stop laughing <wipes tear from eye>

The news seems fairly center, but the opinion pieces are not at all.

The site says NPR opinion as left but the website as center.  There is a vote button if people agree or disagree. 

NPR (Online News) AllSides Media Bias Rating: Center
32475/31649
somewhat agree

...the NY Times or the Washington Post is about as good as you are going to get, with regard to in depth coverage on a variety of national topics. I scan the Times a few times a week.

Someone will now chime in about their "progressive, liberal biased coverage, yadda yadda".  I have discovered after many exchanges with the people who feel that way, that they appear to know little of what's going on, based on any sort of factual analysis or rational world view.  Which is fine I guess. It works  for them, and I certainly don't care about the worldview of someone who sees a conspiracy of fake news in the pages of the NY Times.

They almost always post up some link to the Washington Examiner, if you wait a while.  So everyone gets something positive out of it.  I get the laugh. :)

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK

I read all the viewpoints from far left to far right and in between. They balance each other out, and I decide what to accept and what not. Sometimes a biased source will report 100% factually but miss important factors in the story. When newspapers were a thing, I devoured them. Spent many years reading Wall Street Journal. I rarely even watch TV or cable news anymore. Just the smartphone, but careful to get a broad range of viewpoints. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

I read all the viewpoints from far left to far right and in between. They balance each other out, and I decide what to accept and what not. Sometimes a biased source will report 100% factually but miss important factors in the story. When newspapers were a thing, I devoured them. Spent many years reading Wall Street Journal. I rarely even watch TV or cable news anymore. Just the smartphone, but careful to get a broad range of viewpoints. 

OK

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I love the last bullet on their page.  "I Disagree With Your Media Bias Ratings. Where Can I Give You Feedback?"  

Of course there are those who will disagree because they are sure their sources are correct.

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK

I told you folks would disagree with the bias judges.

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

...the WSJ was a remarkably good news paper, back in the day.  It has undergone a transformation under the new owner, Rupert Murdoch, that has not well served its remarkable history.  I just don't bother with it any more, with regard to its news coverage.  And teh Op Ed pages of the WSJ are now a clown car of remarkable fantasies, which seem to serve as distractions to the Right.  I guess when you're checking your stocks, it's nice to have something entertaining to read about how Killery is gonna run again in 2024.  Everyone needs a dream. :)