Shoutout to our friend GroupW!

MoseySusan

8 minutes ago, groupw said:

The wind eventually let up as we drove Southwest. It started snowing hard when we got to Trinidad. Truck needed fuel so we filled up vehicles quickly and got over the mountains before we replied to some house closing messages. Good call as the snow let up as soon as we got to Raton. 
WoW is not used to driving long distance so we called it a night at Santa Fe. She didn’t want to negotiate Albuquerque freeway in the dark. I don’t blame her. 
We should make AZ tomorrow. Hoping to have coffee with @MoseySusan  Also hope to catch up with an old record store coworker in Las Cruces. 
Overall going well except our cat is not a fan of the truck!

Coffee! 
Call me when you’re near. 

• Heart 2

We met up for coffee earlier today, and they’re traveling south through beautiful high desert, mountains to the east and west. The next valley over to the east is where the worst of jornada del muerto is located, including a lava segment that borders the Trinity Atomic Test Site. 

Keep those traveling mercy prayers coming. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

We met up for coffee earlier today, and they’re traveling south through beautiful high desert, mountains to the east and west. The next valley over to the east is where the worst of jornada del muerto is located, including a lava segment that borders the Trinity Atomic Test Site. 

Keep those traveling mercy prayers coming. 

I wondered about his route when he mentioned Las Cruces. I have a friend that lives in Membries (sp).

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

There are a few Joshua Tree groves in the Sonoran Desert

I wondered if he had actually ventured into the Mojave on his trip. Not surprising that some migrated further south. Plant communities are dynamic.

I always enjoyed driving off the Mogollon Rim and seeing the cactus growing in the understory with the Ponderosa Pine.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I wondered if he had actually ventured into the Mojave on his trip. Not surprising that some migrated further south. Plant communities are dynamic.

I always enjoyed driving off the Mogollon Rim and seeing the cactus growing in the understory with the Ponderosa Pine.

A great view of the saguaro is on I-17 southbound, descending from Sunset Point to Black Canyon City.  You had the Ponderosa pine up by Flagstaff, then the high desert vegetation , pinon pines, etc, between Camp Verde and Sunset Pt, then a few miles south of Sunset Pt you see all kinds of saguaro. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

A great view of the saguaro is on I-17 southbound, descending from Sunset Point to Black Canyon City.  You had the Ponderosa pine up by Flagstaff, then the high desert vegetation , pinon pines, etc, between Camp Verde and Sunset Pt, then a few miles south of Sunset Pt you see all kinds of saguaro. 

That transition from pine to saguaro is pronounced coming in from Payson as well. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Yes, we saw a lot of saguaro when living in Tucson and traveling about from 1970-75. We were in Ponderosa pine quite a ways south of Flagstaff on our way to Tucson coming off the rim. Not sure of the exact location. My wife worked in the Ponderosa pine areas while I worked mainly with creosote bush and sand dune mesquite and species used to revegetate those areas after the shrubs were removed by root plowing and discing.

• Heart 2