Can anyone explain this Novak Djokovic thing to me?

Randomguy

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I haven't paid attention, but it literally will not go away and now I kinda wanna know wth is going on.

Wth is going on?

Dude is not vaxed and he needs to be vaxed or get an exemption to play tennis in the Aussie Open. He said his agent made some mistakes on his paperwork. A few weeks earlier, he tested positive and still showed up and did publicity photos unmasked. I think this is the second time he has had covid. He doesn't believe in the vax or masks.

He injured a line judge at the US Open a couple of years ago, so not everyone is a fan. Unbelievable tennis player. His focus is off the charts good.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

?

This thread’s better. Thank you for starting it.

I knew he was anti-vax, but didn’t know he had been recently Covid positive. I knew the Australia Tennis foundation had given him an exemption, but the Australian Immigrations office rejected it, because their law, I believe, is that all foreign travelers must be vaccinated.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

???

I didn't see that, plus I agree with Prophet Genghis.

26 minutes ago, denniS said:

Dude is not vaxed and he needs to be vaxed or get an exemption to play twnnis in the Aussie Open. He said his agent made some mistakes on his paperwork. A few weeks earlier, he tested positive and still showed up and did publicity photos unmasked. I think this is the second time he has had covid. He doesn't believe in the vax or masks.

He injured a line judge at the US Open a couple of years ago, so not everyone is a fan. Unbelievable tennis player. His focus is off the charts good.

Whatta douche nozzle, I hope sponsors leave him for this.

• Whatever 1

Not vaccinated.  Got Covid.  Lied about quarantine.  Went to photo shoot day after tested positive.  Then travelled to Spain but said he was in quarantine or isolation or whatver.  Hopped over to Oz to play a game for money and appearance fees and lied to them.  They got mad.  He played martyr.  They should have locked him up or sent him home.

• Awesome 2

1 minute ago, jsharrwick said:

Not vaccinated.  Got Covid.  Lied about quarantine.  Went to photo shoot day after tested positive.  Then travelled to Spain but said he was in quarantine or isolation or whatver.  Hopped over to Oz to play a game for money and appearance fees and lied to them.  They got mad.  He played martyr.  They should have locked him up or sent him home.

An isolation booth overlooking the tennis site would be good.  :) 

To be fair. He is quite generous with philanthropy. He builds schools and does a lot for kids and the Balkans.

He might be the best player ever on the Men's side. You don't do that by being everyone's friend. His play and focus are crazy good. He has a wicked temper and that comes out. 

If you are a fan of the game, he is impressive to watch.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

To be fair. He is quite generous with philanthropy. He builds schools and does a lot for kids and the Balkans.

He might be the best player ever on the Men's side. You don't do that by being everyone's friend. His play and focus are crazy good. He has a wicked temper and that comes out. 

I don't follow tennis much.  Being positive and then going in public ought to be a felony, kind of forever on the shit list.  I am sure an asshole like that doesn't care if he infects someone, but that is just ridiculous.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't follow tennis much.  Being positive and then going in public ought to be a felony, kind of forever on the shit list.  I am sure an asshole like that doesn't care if he infects someone, but that is just ridiculous.

I'm not sure what he was thinking. He apologized for using poor judgement.  It looks like he face some consequences. 

Maybe he'll learn something from all of this. Maybe not.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/12/novak-djokovic-faces-fine-or-prison-for-breaking-isolation-while-covid-positive

6 minutes ago, denniS said:

Having travelled there extensively, their take on public safety is about like ours was 50 years ago.  You can still get injured and not sue people there. It isn't a nanny state.  He doesn't view the virus as a threat.  This is what it cost him and yes, he is an amazing tennis player. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Oppressed Pig said:

Having travelled there extensively, their take on public safety is about like ours was 50 years ago.  You can still get injured and not sue people there. It isn't a nanny state.  He doesn't view the virus as a threat.  This is what it cost him and yes, he is an amazing tennis player. 

That's how I see it. He takes his health seriously and I think he views the vax as worse than the disease. 

He has been the healthiest of the big three players. It would be awesome to see all three healthy for the recent Slams. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, denniS said:

Better than this guy?

angry tennis GIF by NOWNESS

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, denniS said:

That's how I see it. He takes his health seriously and I think he views the vax as worse than the disease. 

He takes his health seriously and it ended there.  That was/is the issue.  When you start lying and misleading, there is a reason you are lying and misleading.  Maybe he doesn't fear COVID, or fears the a vaccine more, but the choices we make are the choices we are responsible for.  Don't want to be vaccinated? There are legit exemptions.  Don't like those exemptions? Maybe this year the Australian Open is not in the cards for you. It happens.  If this was 99.99% of the rest of humanity, 1 - we wouldn't heard of it, and 2 - they would have never even gotten to Australia as the COVID process would have stymied them.

29 minutes ago, denniS said:

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS

image.png.fe54debfc9bdeafca9f65d5acd0138a2.png

38 minutes ago, denniS said:

There are a lot of people in this world who are very good at what they do but are too oft excused for being assholes.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

He takes his health seriously and it ended there.  That was/is the issue.  When you start lying and misleading, there is a reason you are lying and misleading.  Maybe he doesn't fear COVID, or fears the a vaccine more, but the choices we make are the choices we are responsible for.  Don't want to be vaccinated? There are legit exemptions.  Don't like those exemptions? Maybe this year the Australian Open is not in the cards for you. It happens.  If this was 99.99% of the rest of humanity, 1 - we wouldn't heard of it, and 2 - they would have never even gotten to Australia as the COVID process would have stymied them.

I'm not defending him at all. He could end all of this by getting the vax. 

4 minutes ago, denniS said:

I'm not defending him at all. He could end all of this by getting the vax. 

I didn't say you were.  I was pointing out there is a pretty straightforward set of steps to get into Australia.  The vaccine is the easiest, but not the only way. But even if it was the only way (IT ISN'T), it simply is "the rules".  Just like the actual game of tennis has rules, or any tournament has entry rules, the rules are there and a person simply decides if following those rules works for them. 

Simply put, he could end this by deciding if he wants to play in the Australian Open (and following a whole host of rules with a few COVID related ones) or is fine skipping it this year.  Nothing simpler and something he seems quite capable of doing without lying, misleading, or obfuscating.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I didn't say you were.  I was pointing out there is a pretty straightforward set of steps to get into Australia.  The vaccine is the easiest, but not the only way. But even if it was the only way (IT ISN'T), it simply is "the rules".  Just like the actual game of tennis has rules, or any tournament has entry rules, the rules are there and a person simply decides if following those rules works for them. 

Simply put, he could end this by deciding if he wants to play in the Australian Open (and following a whole host of rules with a few COVID related ones) or is fine skipping it this year.  Nothing simpler and something he seems quite capable of doing without lying, misleading, or obfuscating.

Are you calling him an obfuscator?  

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

Are you calling him an obfuscator?  

I don't think he needs to use that talent (if he has it).  He can play or not. Literally, the ball is in his court.  Or, it was, but maybe time is running out?  But it was in his court for weeks/months leading up to the Australian Open.  I assume he plans his schedule a little more than a few weeks out :dontknow:

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't think he needs to use that talent (if he has it).  He can play or not. Literally, the ball is in his court.  Or, it was, but maybe time is running out?  But it was in his court for weeks/months leading up to the Australian Open.  I assume he plans his schedule a little more than a few weeks out :dontknow:

I think his Aussie ship has sailed and he's on a slow boat to Spain.