I need a new skillet

petitepedal

The only brand I've ever used is Reverware, and I think you have to get it from ebay now, so can't help you.  But MomKirby always had Revereware so that's what I have (including my tea kettle).

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I need a new skillet

Me too.  Well, maybe not a 10" skillet, but something to replace out 12" nonstick we use for a lot of cooking.  We call it a fry pan instead of a skillet :D  

FTR, Cooks Country does lots of reviews.

For the 12" stainless steel, All Clad is the winner, but not non-stick:

A Former Champion Wins Again

In the end, none of the pricier pans surpassed the performance, ease of use, and durability of our former winner, the All-Clad d3 Stainless Steel 12" Fry Pan with Lid. What’s more, at $119.95, it’s one of the least expensive pans in our lineup. We know we’ll be cooking in this pan for years to come.

and for 12" non-stick, the Oxo edged out the All Clad:

The Best 12 Inch Nonstick Skillet: Oxo Good Grips Non Stick Pro 12" Open Frypan

After spending dozens of hours with each skillet, we had cooked enough food to feed each of our 200-plus colleagues and reached a clear conclusion: Two pans surpassed the rest. Both arrived impressively nonstick and remained that way. They were light and maneuverable. They were also shaped just right, with broad cooking surfaces and walls just high enough and curved enough for us to stir food quickly and easily without spilling. We especially like the wide, comfortable stainless-steel handle on the OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro 12" Open Frypan, and we love that it can go in hotter ovens than the previous model. This new and improved skillet is our overall winner. All nonstick skillets will eventually wear out, so the OXO model’s affordable price is an added bonus. But if you require an induction-compatible skillet, the All-Clad Stainless 12" Nonstick Fry Pan is an excellent, though considerably more expensive, choice.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Me too.  Well, maybe not a 10" skillet, but something to replace out 12" nonstick we use for a lot of cooking.  We call it a fry pan instead of a skillet :D  

Cast iron is for life.  You never need another skillet.  No surface to wear out, and it just improves over time.

Cast iron is the original nonstick. I used to have 14 cast iron pans. I admitted I had a problem and now have six essential cast iron pans. I also have a set of Calphalon stainless steel pots and pans we bought at Costco. I like those too. The only non-stick pan I have is a square griddle for pancakes and French toast. No butter is required for cooking. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am sorry, but you are so so wrong.  :)

Cast iron is awesome.  My seasoning is going so well that I can actually make an over easy egg and not break the yolk.  I can get it on the pan and the yolk runs.  :foryou:

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have a difficult time with anything that isn't non-stick.  :(

Season it well, my friend.  Cook in it for a couple of months.  keep seasoning it, and then you are done.  You will never need another pan.

I am using sunflower oil.  Grapeseed is good too, but we have allergies to that in my house.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Cast iron is awesome. 

I actually agree with you, it is a well-considered choice for a lot of applications.

It is heavy and high-maintenance, though, and you can't pop it in a dishwasher, and you have to have space for it to air-dry.  For Petite, I think it is going to be an issue.  It is great for a lot of things, but I think everyone should have some non-stick around, too.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am sorry, but you are so so wrong.  :)

Cast iron is awesome.  My seasoning is going so well that I can actually make an over easy egg and not break the yolk.  I can get it on the pan and the yolk runs.  :foryou:

Season it well, my friend.  Cook in it for a couple of months.  keep seasoning it, and then you are done.  You will never need another pan.

I am using sunflower oil.  Grapeseed is good too, but we have allergies to that in my house.

We have some Le Creuset that are great for certain things.  Some aluminum/steel clad ones that are great for certain things as well.  But often, with something like fish (especially with skin) or eggs or potatoes,  I find I am frustrated way too fast and hate going to stir or flip something and come away with parts stuck to the pan.    

I bought a T Fal 14” non stick.  I was finding my similarly sized cast iron too shallow for certain dishes I make and needed a large pan with taller sides.  And I didn’t want to spend $100 bucks.

It was around $30 on Amazon. So far so good but I’m not expecting it to last a lifetime.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I actually agree with you, it is a well-considered choice for a lot of applications.

It is heavy and high-maintenance, though, and you can't pop it in a dishwasher, and you have to have space for it to air-dry.  For Petite, I think it is going to be an issue.  It is great for a lot of things, but I think everyone should have some non-stick around, too.

I don't ever air dry it.  Just wipe it out with a cloth and set it in it's rest with the other fellow cast irons.  :wub:  If it is excessively dirty, a quick scrub with no soap, onto the stove for a heat to dry, and then re oil.  Put away.  

PP would like something heavy.  She could do curls with it.  :)

I think I have fallen in love with cast iron, now that I learned how to properly cook with it.  Always heat your pan, before use.  Like, 15 minutes.  

On second thought, maybe it is a pain in the ass.  HAHA

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I bought a T Fal 14” non stick.  I was finding my similarly sized cast iron too shallow for certain dishes I make and needed a large pan with taller sides.  And I didn’t want to spend $100 bucks.

It was around $30 on Amazon. So far so good but I’m not expecting it to last a lifetime.

You are right about being shallow.  I concur.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I love my cast iron & use it a lot. But I have a couple of non stick pans & just added another.  Cast iron isn’t the ideal choice for every application. 

3 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Jiffy Pop popcorn. We always had this at our cottage. Us kids LOVED  watching it grow big | Childhood memories, Childhood, The good old days

Years ago @denniS questioned me on why we ate microwave popcorn with all the crap that’s in it. It hit home so we started making our own in a large pan with a lid, a bit of popcorn & canola oil. I just add a dash of salt & nothing else.

Its easier than I realized and less greasy than bagged microwave popcorn but not as dry as air popped.  Basically small batch movie popcorn.  

• Heart 2

Just now, ChrisL said:

Years ago @denniS questioned me on why we ate microwave popcorn with all the crap that’s in it. It hit home so we started making our own in a large pan with a lid, a bit of popcorn & canola oil. I just add a dash of salt & nothing else.

Its easier than I realized and less greasy than bagged microwave popcorn but not as dry as air popped.  Basically small batch movie popcorn.  

My buddy posted the most hilarious pic on facebook.  He put on popcorn to pop and must have walked away and left the lid off.  It was a pic of popcorn everywhere.  All over his stove and none on the floor.  I think his dog was like ... "It's raining popcorn."

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My buddy posted the most hilarious pic on facebook.  He put on popcorn to pop and must have walked away and left the lid off.  It was a pic of popcorn everywhere.  All over his stove and none on the floor.  I think his dog was like ... "It's raining popcorn."

Yeah Jack would be all over that! 

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I air pop mine and then drizzle melted butter over it.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I did? Really? And you didn't punch me in the nose for being a wiseacre? You should have. 

I put these on popcorn 

Spike Seasoning Gaylord Hauser 3 oz SaltMother In Laws Gochugaru Chile Pepper Flakes 3.25 oz jar - Vegan

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, denniS said:

I have some of these pans. Non-stick and no teflon. I can flip eggs without a spatula in these. 

https://michelangelokitchen.com/collections/frying-pans

GraniteFryingPanwithLidNonstickMICHELANGELOColor-Blue_1646197b-d0ab-44e4-a577-883832989e92.jpg?v=1626687265

That looks like the name brand version of what I have knockoffs of.  Works great. Sometimes it's so slippery that I have trouble getting a spatula under food to flip it as it keeps sliding away.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

“Pop it in a dishwasher” only a monster from the New Jersey of the Midwest would say that so casually. Anyone that puts pots and pans or cutlery in a dishwasher is dead to me. Dead. Mother Theresa cared for thousands of Calcutta’s dying dirt-poor citizens. If she washed her knives and pots in a dishwasher all that goodwill is gone. If you don’t show love and affection for the tools you use to make nourishing and delicious food why bother at all! Eat at McDonalds or Burger King you heathen. 

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

“Pop it in a dishwasher” only a monster from the New Jersey of the Midwest would say that so casually. Anyone that puts pots and pans or cutlery in a dishwasher is dead to me. Dead. Mother Theresa cared for thousands of Calcutta’s dying dirt-poor citizens. If she washed her knives and pots in a dishwasher all that goodwill is gone. If you don’t show love and affection for the tools you use to make nourishing and delicious food why bother at all! Eat at McDonalds or Burger King you heathen. 

as a cast iron lover that comment triggered me.  :)

Cast iron in a dishwasher?  Is he out of his mind?  :D

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

as a cast iron lover that comment triggered me.  :)

Cast iron in a dishwasher?  Is he out of his mind?  :D

I was triggered by that one phrase. At 14 years old, my first paying job was a dishwasher in a restaurant. Years later, (1988) I worked part time at a kitchen supply store. A lady returned a Calphalon anodized aluminum pot that she had washed in her dishwasher over six years and wanted to return it because it wasn't nice anymore. The manager took it back and sold her a new pot. I didn't say anything but I was mad that she didn't care for her stuff and expected others to fix her mistakes. I got some good discounts there (still have my Kitchen Aid mixer) and met Julia Child and Paul Prudhomme while I was there. Still have the cookbooks that they signed.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I was triggered by that one phrase. At 14 years old, my first paying job was a dishwasher in a restaurant. Years later, (1988) I worked part time at a kitchen supply store. A lady returned a Calphalon anodized aluminum pot that she had washed in her dishwasher over six years and wanted to return it because it wasn't nice anymore. The manager took it back and sold her a new pot. I didn't say anything but I was mad that she didn't care for her stuff and expected others to fix her mistakes. I got some good discounts there (still have my Kitchen Aid mixer) and met Julia Child and Paul Prudhomme while I was there. Still have the cookbooks that they signed.

You met Julia? Oh my. That is so amazing. I bet she was very funny. I loved watching her.

one of my favorite moments was when she threw this small rolling pin in the garbage “This is a toy!”

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You met Julia? Oh my. That is so amazing. I bet she was very funny. I loved watching her.

one of my favorite moments was when she threw this small rolling pin in the garbage “This is a toy!”

She was incredibly down to earth. She talked to me like i was the most important person there, but I was just a sales person. A very real person I am glad to have met.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

She was incredibly down to earth. She talked to me like i was the most important person there, but I was just a sales person. A very real person I am glad to have met.

What a great moment in life.  I figured she would be like that.  She seemed so real and kind.

31 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Inspiration to this very day for you..!

No suggestions for what you should buy, but definitely one I would say not to buy, and that would be Calphalon. We ended up with a bunch of that crap when my wife worked at Newell Rubermaid, and we bought it at the employee store. Calphalon is a subsidiary of Rubbermaid.

I will say their stainless ware is not bad, but I would certainly avoid the non stick stuff.