The Weird Al Thread

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by UglyBob,

Hey Ralph, did you know that Mark Knophler actually plays guitar on the one? When Al asked for permission to use the song he said he would only give it under one condition; that he got to play on it. B)

Very cool!  I love music trivia, and also Mark Knopfler.  :)  That must be fun being weird Al, interacting with all those stars for his Parr8eys.  But he ran into trouble with Coolio, or some other rapper, I think.  brb!

Ahh, this is where WIkipedia absolutely excels. :D  Nice to see that Coolio has come around and said that actually Gangster Paradise "was funny as shit". :D  But Al continues to pursue that bastard Prince with no luck so far.  He got a telegram from his lawyers not to make eye contact - awesome! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Weird_Al%22_Yankovic#Negative

Very cool!  I love music trivia, and also Mark Knopfler.  :)  That must be fun being weird Al, interacting with all those stars for his Parr8eys.  But he ran into trouble with Coolio, or some other rapper, I think.  brb!

Yeah, when he did Amish Paradise he asked Coolio's record company for permission and they gave it. When the song came out Coolio was pissed because he didn't know. He said it disrespected him and the song. Most of the artists he parodies have said the feel like you haven't really made in the music business until Weird Al spoofs you.

I've seen WAY in concert over a dozen times including twice in one day! I still remember hearing my first WAY song. It wasn't on Doctor Demento either. I was driving around Cincinnati in the early '80s and the DJ on WEBN-FM played My Bologna and My Sharona back to back. My life was changed at that moment.

UHF is my favorite movie and I read the Weird Al: The Book last year.