No more Prince Andrew

Airehead

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

The queen said so.  The Duke of York will fight the case "as a private citizen," Buckingham Palace said in an abrupt statement announcing the demotion.

I never know how to take these things because I don’t really follow the royals. 

The queen doesn't act on rumour. There has to be some compelling evidence they fear.  Ghislaine may have to hang herself for it to go away. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

No tolerance for pedophiles. 

More likely what we would call a rapist or a sexual predator.  His accuser was 17 at the time, so not in the traditional "pedophile" crime age range.  We've got a congressman in the news for similar actions, and calling him a pedophile would be going a bit too far as well (based on one of the known victims' age).  

But, yeah, likely not much choice for the queen once this started snowballing.

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

More likely what we would call a rapist or a sexual predator.  His accuser was 17 at the time, so not in the traditional "pedophile" crime age range.  We've got a congressman in the news for similar actions, and calling him a pedophile would be going a bit too far as well (based on one of the known victims' age).  

But, yeah, likely not much choice for the queen once this started snowballing.

This wasn’t a sole occurrence. Agree that his targets were likely young women 15-17. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

This wasn’t a sole occurrence. Agree that his targets were likely young women 15-17. 

It's a gamble.  There will certainly be folks who don't care or don't mind his actions or disbelieve the accusers or think the accuser was using him.  Going to court, if it happens, will be his side either playing up an "it never happened" defense, a "it was consensual and she seemed older", or a "look at her settlement with Epstein - its proof she is after money".  More wiggle room in civil cases, but also options for settlements or large punishments.  Legally, I wonder what assets he has that are his own vs granted through the monarchy and/or still owned by the queen and not yet passed on.

3 hours ago, Oppressed Pig said:

The queen doesn't act on rumour. There has to be some compelling evidence they fear.  Ghislaine may have to hang herself for it to go away. 

Buckingham Palace sent a letter to the media saying the Queen's action was due to Andrew's bad actions and lying.  That's not going to help him in the minds of the jurors, if it comes to court!

• Heart 3

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's a gamble.  There will certainly be folks who don't care or don't mind his actions or disbelieve the accusers or think the accuser was using him.  Going to court, if it happens, will be his side either playing up an "it never happened" defense, a "it was consensual and she seemed older", or a "look at her settlement with Epstein - its proof she is after money".  More wiggle room in civil cases, but also options for settlements or large punishments.  Legally, I wonder what assets he has that are his own vs granted through the monarchy and/or still owned by the queen and not yet passed on.

He’s selling a Swiss ski chalet he own jointly with his ex wife, Fergie. $23 million I think. That will give her half and keep that money out of reach.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Oppressed Pig said:

A few minutes fun for a lifetime of pain and humiliation.  He is dumber than I thought. 

My guess is it wasn't a few minutes, but rather decades of it and similar.  And now, at his age, it's gonna be a hit to his wallet and some social discomfort, but, at 61, he's well along the journey of life (although he got some long living genetics from his parents). 

I read that shortly before this action there was also a letter signed by leaders of a number of the military units for which he held honorary titles protesting that he held the titles and that he didn't live up to the standards required by members of the military units.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I read that shortly before this action there was also a letter signed by leaders of a number of the military units for which he held honorary titles protesting that he held the titles and that he didn't live up to the standards required by members of the military units.

Wow. How defeating. I hope he has friends, connections, a sense of purpose without being a royal. 

One of the few good things I can say is he does seem to have been a close Dad to his daughters and they seem to still have a good relationship.  This must be incredibly hard for his girls who by all accounts seem like very nice people.

• Heart 2