Some people are bad drivers

Airehead

25 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Two lane road. Woman going 25 in a 50 zone.  Finally a passing zone for the Aire mobile. 

I had to pass someone in a residential neighborhood yesterday. Rarely do that, but I could no longer bear losing precious seconds of my life behind a slow lady. 

• Heart 2

Was it icy at all or slick?  I go much slower than the speed limit in that situation.  

Sometimes it really feels like people drive way too fast.  They drive well over the posted limits and get angry when people drive within the posted limits.  My skills for driving have diminished somewhat, as I do not practice often enough, so it feels safer to me to drive right at or barely under the limit.   My life really changed when my ratio of riding to driving reversed.  It was not great for my skillset behind the wheel.

Yesterday I was approaching a major intersection with two left turn lanes.  I was in the left left turn lane, another driver in the right turn lane.  

Driver in the right right turn lane decides to make an illegal left turn into the shopping center just before the intersection.  Problem is I’m right fucking in his way!  

He cuts in front of me, I nearly T Bone him (my Subie’s collision avoidance system kicked in a split second before I did) and the dude just continues on as if there is nobody else on the road. 

I agree there are bad drivers out there.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Was it icy at all or slick?  I go much slower than the speed limit in that situation.  

Sometimes it really feels like people drive way too fast.  They drive well over the posted limits and get angry when people drive within the posted limits.  My skills for driving have diminished somewhat, as I do not practice often enough, so it feels safer to me to drive right at or barely under the limit.   My life really changed when my ratio of riding to driving reversed.  It was not great for my skillset behind the wheel.

I agree that a lot of people are way too aggressive.  It may be a little because I am old now, but mostly it is that too many people are just too -089&^%impatient and selfish and inconsiderate behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I agree that a lot of people are way too aggressive.  It may be a little because I am old now, but mostly it is that too many people are just too -089&^%impatient and selfish and inconsiderate behind the wheel.

Many moments of a car right on my bumper cause I am going the speed limit. I am just not interested in driving super fast like everyone else is doing. 

Drivers are also not willing to take their foot off the gas to pass a bike safely.  Ex:  double yellow, car coming the opposite way and they will not brake long enough to let the car pass before they pass a bike.  Bad scenario and very unsafe for all involved.  

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Lack of practice and uncrowded roads, both do to rona, have caused the death toll on our highways to shoot back up.  The uncrowded roads have led some to believe that they are immortal at any speed.  One can buy way too much car for the driver's skill level these days.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Lack of practice and uncrowded roads, both do to rona, have caused the death toll on our highways to shoot back up.  The uncrowded roads have led some to believe that they are immortal at any speed.  One can buy way too much car for the driver's skill level these days.

The bus works great for me.  I am very lucky to be mostly sheltered from this driving thing.   If things were different, I would likely have a smaller vehicle and do it much more often.  I love my bike.  :)

• Heart 1

Seems that rude driving has become more common these last few years. I'd like to blame the out of towners, but its mostly the locals that are the rudest, most aggressive drivers around here. I'll signal ahead of time and slow down to 10/15 miles per hour before I turn off the rural county road into our subdivision. And there is usually someone riding up my caboose that feels that I'm ruining their life by being in their way. Due to the limited visibility, trees and such, I'm just not going to take a chance of running over kids playing, people walking their dogs or other motorists on our street by taking the corner on two wheels. People even tailgate a few feet of my taillight while I'm riding the speed limit on my groovy little motorbike on that road. Lots of impatient/rude people out there lately. :( 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Seems that rude driving has become more common these last few years. I'd like to blame the out of towners, but its mostly the locals that are the rudest, most aggressive drivers around here. I'll signal ahead of time and slow down to 10/15 miles per hour before I turn off the rural county road into our subdivision. And there is usually someone riding up my caboose that feels that I'm ruining their life by being in their way. Due to the limited visibility, trees and such, I'm just not going to take a chance of running over kids playing, people walking their dogs or other motorists on our street by taking the corner on two wheels. People even tailgate a few feet of my taillight while I'm riding the speed limit on my groovy little motorbike on that road. Lots of impatient/rude people out there lately. :( 

Welcome to the 21st century.

None of this is new. I’ve been a commuter driving in metropolitan, suburban and rural areas since I started driving. I’ve been the jerk driver driving way too fast and I’ve been the driver that others ride up on. 

Ive seen people do really stupid stuff. I’ve done really stupid stuff.

None of this is new. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

A LOT of people are bad drivers!

No use of blinkers before cutting you off.  Moving a foot into your lane before moving in front of you.  Weaving between lanes over 10 miles of a crowded expressway and nearly causing several accidents to pass four cars.  Talking on a cell phone while backing out of a parking lot and cutting off 3 lanes of traffic that screech to a halt.  Etc. Etc. Etc.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was a case of severe clear. Bright sun everywhere. No clouds. No precipitation. I think she needed sun glasses and did not have them. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

It was a case of severe clear. Bright sun everywhere. No clouds. No precipitation. I think she needed sun glasses and did not have them. 

Well, half the speed limit is ridiculous.  Maybe she had a cake on the seat.  :D

Here is is often out of state.  They are gawking.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Fer sure the younger generation of truck drivers is a pale shadow of what used to be a very professional group.

Back when I drove there were very few truck driving schools and my boss figured if you need to go to school to learn to drive a truck there is something wrong with you. He learned that by hiring and firing at least three graduates of truck driving schools. They were horrible drivers. Now I think most new drivers have been to truck driving school.

The other day while I was talking to my son John he was driving through Wyoming When he got passed by a JB Hunt truck. A few miles up the road there was JB Hunt jackknifed on the side of the road.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Back when I drove there were very few truck driving schools and my boss figured if you need to go to school to learn to drive a truck there is something wrong with you. He learned that by hiring and firing at least three graduates of truck driving schools. They were horrible drivers. Now I think most new drivers have been to truck driving school.

The other day while I was talking to my son John he was driving through Wyoming When he got passed by a JB Hunt truck. A few miles up the road there was JB Hunt jackknifed on the side of the road.

I started driving trucks about 50 years ago, the usual route was to start small and move to progressively larger and heavier units. At some point, the demand for transport drivers outstripped the supply of those who were moving up through the ranks and they needed to train people with very little related experience to jump right into full size tractor trailer units with as little training as they could get away with and put them to work.

I worked at a training school from May of 1986 to December of 1988 teaching steerin and gearin, and I can honestly tell ya, we really taught little more than how to pass a road test. but even that was pretty intense.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Left my house at 04:30 this morning and it had been snowing for a bit.  The county road had been covered with about 1-2" of snow.  Nothing horrible, but no plow had been through.  It was a little slick.  I was prob doing 25 or so.  I came up on this little car thing (honda, toyota, something like that?)  They were going slow.  Like comically slow.  Like way slower than the conditions dictated.  I would guestimate 2.7 mph.  They actually pulled to the side into a church parking lot turn off and let me pass!!!!   :happyanim:

And then I got to 65 south.  It was fairly covered.  Not nearly as bad as the county road.  People were doing 35-40 ish.  I saw three State Troopers in dodge chargers all passing people (at a safe appearing speed).  All 3 actually used their turn signals to change lanes and exit the expressway!!!  It was like a glitch in the Matrix.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1