I survived the great blizzard of 22

jsharr

17 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Last year there were thousands of busted pipes just in our neighborhood

This happened after Christmas in one of our suburban neighbourhoods when our temp. plunged to dangerously cold -35 degrees C... 

Our deep winter cold temp. broke some 80-yr. records @ near end of 2021.

I just discovered our national grocery chain store is  still out of stock for Kellog's cornflakes..for past few wks. So ended buying something very different, more fibre and bit more expensive.

4 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

Had snow flurries yesterday afternoon.  I survived.  Power stayed on.  Traffic did not grind to a stand still.  There was no run on milk and bread and toilet paper at the grocery store.  I did cancel my trip to the gun range, as it was too cold and windy to stand around making loud holes in paper.

C3689073-351E-4C77-A007-61690A89A213.jpeg

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

The weather forecasts around here varied from 'slush and ice' to '2 - 6 inches' to '6 - 10 inches'.

When processing those forecasts through the Google weather-forecaster-to-English translator, it comes out as 'We don't know.'

It's like listening to the talking heads about who's going to win a football game.  Basically just skip the BS and watch the game.

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

Had snow flurries yesterday afternoon.  I survived.  Power stayed on.  Traffic did not grind to a stand still.  There was no run on milk and bread and toilet paper at the grocery store.  I did cancel my trip to the gun range, as it was too cold and windy to stand around making loud holes in paper.

The last two snows disappeared before I had to shovel the porches, walks and brush the snow off the car.

But the last few times we began January with three snows in 2 weeks, we also got at least a couple 12" to 20+" snows later in Jan. to Mar.

I hope this year is the exception to the rule.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The last two snows disappeared before I had to shovel the porches, walks and brush the snow off the car.

But the last few times we began January with three snows in 2 weeks, we also got at least a couple 12" to 20+" snows later in Jan. to Mar.

I hope this year is the exception to the rule.

Come on up!  I can't move it fast enough.  :)  Weather folks have changed the 30 cm to 40 cm and blizzard conditions.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

And here it's pouring rain.  The snow is melting.  My yard is a lake.  Sometime later today I'll have to go out and clear the wiper area of my car lest I wake up tomorrow to an ice cube.  There might be yard skating in the morning.

yuck

We got about 4-5 inches of snow by about 11:00 last night. But it turned to freezing rain. Quite a bit of ice in top of the snow this morning. I’d say at least a quarter inch. Interesting thing is, there is nothing on the trees or lines. At about 2:30 this morning I looked out an the bamboo was bending. I figured it was going to get ugly. But this morning trees and live are clear. And the wind is kicking up. Supposed to get 55 mph gusts later today. 

• Hugs 2

5 hours ago, Zealot said:

We got about 4-5 inches of snow by about 11:00 last night. But it turned to freezing rain. Quite a bit of ice in top of the snow this morning. I’d say at least a quarter inch. Interesting thing is, there is nothing on the trees or lines. At about 2:30 this morning I looked out an the bamboo was bending. I figured it was going to get ugly. But this morning trees and live are clear. And the wind is kicking up. Supposed to get 55 mph gusts later today. 

I took a push broom to sweep the snow off my car. It only removed the top five inches then there was a quarter inch of ice with another four inches of snow under the ice. I was able to push the ice off with the back of the broom.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

9 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

And here it's pouring rain.  The snow is melting.  My yard is a lake.  Sometime later today I'll have to go out and clear the wiper area of my car lest I wake up tomorrow to an ice cube.  There might be yard skating in the morning.

Last week it rained for a while.  It never got above freezing, but it was just warm enough to rain. The ground is frozen here, so the driveway became an ice-skating rink.  I got to use my ice cleats on my boots for almost a week. 

I got to carry our small dog (Jack Russel) from the house to grass snow a few times a day.   If he tried to walk on the ice, he'd start to slip and then he got scared, and his feet would really slip and scamper all around,..  a few times he'd fall over.   So I got to carry him every day.   The Beagle did much better on the ice, her 4 paw drive works much better... 

A few days ago it got just a few degrees above freezing for several hours.  The ice is gone.   :)

Then it snowed again.   Only about 1 inch.   But I got to use the John Deere tractor and plow again.  The driveway is clean again.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I lucked out (as always). My neighbour has a snow removal company and he came and did our street and all the driveway ends.   :skipping:

The snow plow has yet to make it to our street, but everybody has done a good job of clearing their driveways and sidewalks, so people can walk their dogs at least.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The snow plow has yet to make it to our street, but everybody has done a good job of clearing their driveways and sidewalks, so people can walk their dogs at least.

The city plow hasn't been here either.  There is nothing left for them to do when they get here.  :) 

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This is what it's like in western Washington when we get snow.  A couple days later or less it warms back up and melts and often rains.  And then it will often freeze at night.  It's a mess.  I'm glad I moved father north but it's still got some issues.  But I don't miss the goo.

• Heart 1